Thread: Political online gaming

Default Political online gaming

According to Interfax China, the not-so-subtly named Anti-Japan War Online, a new game from Chinese developer PowerNet Technology, is being sponsored by the China Communist Youth League to help create a sense of patriotism among China's exploding gaming community by allowing them to crush their offshore neighbors digitally.

In the game, players suit up as one of 17 Chinese characters from all walks of life, and defend their country from the invading Japanese during World War II. Looking to see it from the other side? Not going to happen. The game not only forbids gamers from playing as the Japanese, but also, according to The Guardian Unlimited, the developers made the Japanese side more ugly.

"Our developers hate Japan, so they want to make the game very provocative, but the team leaders have tried to tone down the violence," one project manager, Liu Junfeng of PowerNet Technology, told the Guardian.

The massively multiplayer online role-playing game is currently in beta testing and is expected to be available to the public by the end of the year.

The CCLY will also be working on future titles to help "educate" young players and generate a "national spirit."
    Heh heh.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

Haha, chinese students should play that game during history lessons

Well. It least it isn't another Everquest clone.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

I don't hate the Japanese, but I want to play too see if it was any effect on me.

I used to play America's army, and it made me a lot more possitive about the US military.
    But when I stopped the effect wore off quickly.

btw: there is also an anti-Israel game, but I never played it.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Well, popaganda rules another domain it seems. Never thought of pc game manifestos personally... what next, a game where you get to shoot [insert US's next foe here]? And when you beat the high score, you get a recruitment form for the US Army...

Just wait as the Japs strike back...

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Perkele
    Just wait as the Japs strike back...
    Yeah, the Chineese have much to fear.
    The Japanese are well known for their cutting edge game consoles and amazing manga graphics.
    The Chineese picked the wrong fight.

Did you know, that Hearts of Iron 2 is forbidden in China? I suppose, the party didn't like the way Commie China is shown there... realistically with 3 provinces. :laughing:

Quote Originally Posted by lila-laune-bär
    Did you know, that Hearts of Iron 2 is forbidden in China? I suppose, the party didn't like the way Commie China is shown there... realistically with 3 provinces. :laughing:
    And only 3 leaders, lol.

edit: all with almost no skill as well.

IMO they should of given the commies more power in that game. They NEVER do good as the AI, lol. Nationalist China always wipes them out.
    Last edited by Kanaric; September 03, 2005 at 03:47 PM.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Senator

In all of my games it gets annexed by Japan or Nationalist China.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanaric
    And only 3 leaders, lol.

edit: all with almost no skill as well.

IMO they should of given the commies more power in that game. They NEVER do good as the AI, lol. Nationalist China always wipes them out.
    Yea, but that's because if the real world was exactly as HOI2 potrays it to be, they should NEVER have won (i.e. HOI2 abstracts several real-life issues away). Be that as it may, however, the odds were clearly against them in real life, so the fact that they pulled it off is quite an accomplishment (from a tactical/strategic perspective, I am not trying to politicize this...)