Thread: Avatar: The Game

Default Avatar: The Game

(PC version)

So i bought Avatar the game after seeing the movie and i have too say that the game is no where near the epicness of the movie.

You start out as a guy that has just arrived after five years in space traveling to Pandora. Just like in the movie. You start out as a marine that has the privilege too get a Na'vi body to play around with. At the start of the game you have too play both as a marine and a Na'vi, doing missions. Sadly you will have too choose side fairly fast which left me confused since i didnt really know much about how the Marine and Na'vi would play out gameplay wise. I feel that you should be given a couple more missions on both sides so that you would see how they would be played.

For me the choice was simple since i loved the Na'vi from the movie, so i went with the blue monkey's .
    If you have seen the movie you know what's going on even though the game playes out two years before the movie. Playing as the Na'vi your task is to stop the Skye and playing as the skye you will have too kill off the Na'vi. Simple as that.

Story 5/10

Now i don't want to talk to much about the story, don't want to spoil anything so im just gonna touch on it.

For me the story in the game feelt kinda empty, i mean it's the usuall "talk to this guy,kill,blow up,rescue etc etc" type of missions, nothing new here. All the missions so far has been kinda boring and repetitive and uninspired. I mean in the Na'vi village you get a mission where you are supposed to help take a Skye tower down with some other Na'vi but in the end it's just you alone versus alot of skye people. This is the type of things i hate. You get a mission where you are the "help" but you end up doing everything alone when you are supposed to support the other Na'vi. Sadly this game is full of these types of missions.

Gameplay 4/10

The gameplay is what you can expect from a console port, horrible.
    The controls feels sluggish and it's hard to do anything with accuracy, escpecially when it comes to control the veichles and mounts that are available from time to time. It's really bad in some cases. Trying to control the Na'vi's flying mount is really painfull because it's nearly impossible to get it to fly where you want it to.

And something that's really bugging me about the Na'vi is the fact that they feel like big clumsy giants. There's no depth in the gameplay, just shoot and slash basicly, and even that get old real quick.

Another thing that really gets to me is how hard it is to hit with the Na'vi ranged weapons, you can have your sights right on target but still miss even though you can clearly see the arrow hit, bug perhaps?
    Also it's utter suicide to even try to get close enought to use your melee weapons since you get shoot to pieces long before you can get close, perhaps some balancing is in order...

The gameplay has some bright spots. For example the extra talents and weapons you can unlock after you level up, you get all sort of talents like: Invisbility,rage,speed,shield,regeneration and many more. These talents really helps you if you use the right. Altough i don't see where these talents come's from since they where not in the movie but hey atleast they make the game a little bit more playable.

Another wierd thing in this game is that when you kill a enemy they simple transform in too blue smoke and vanish, it just looks ridiculous.

graphics 8/10

I would say that the graphics is the only real strong side in this game, the enviroment is really well made and adds to the depth. Most of the stuff in the game looks good and is well made.

Sound 6/10

Nothing special, infact i think that most of the sounds in this game is standard, nothing special.

Voice 4/10

The Voices in this game is bad in my opinion, uninspired people reading of a piece of paper and just waiting for the pay check when done. Most of the voices sounds cornish and boring.

Final verdict 4/10

The only thing this game has going for it is sadly the graphics. Bad design drags this game way down for me and to be frank the only reason i bought this game was because of the movie. I was so hoping to be able to swing and jump trough the forrest as the Na'vi, shooting arrows that impales the evil Skye marines. But nope this game offers nothing from the movie. Pass this game. it's not worth more than 10 bucks.

Just another bad game made from a good movie.

/groundtotem
    Last edited by Groundtotem; December 24, 2009 at 01:12 PM.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Avatar the game(spoilers may occur)

It looked interesting at first, but I didn't dare to hope or have high expectations, and this is why.

Quote Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper View Post
    It looked interesting at first, but I didn't dare to hope or have high expectations, and this is why.
    Yeah this is a game that looks good on paper but was badly implemented.

Good to know. Won't be buying it than.
    "Life holds more imagination than our dreams"