Thread: RTW and BI compatability with Win7 64 bit?

Default RTW and BI compatability with Win7 64 bit?

I need to know if these games are compatible with Windows 7 64 bit. I'd like to transfer them to my new computer.
    אין דבר, טוב למות בעד ארצנו (Never mind, It is good to die for ones country)- Joseph Trumpeldor, after being mortally wounded at the battle of Tel Chai

Canaan:Total War development team member

Dude, where are my legions?- Augustus Caesar, after Varus's defeat at Teutoberg Wald.

R.I.P. Calvin

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: RTW and BI compatability with Win7 64 bit?

I have Win 7 Pro 64 bit and I have np problems.

Better a fresh install than transfer especially if the old one is 32 bit.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

If after you install them you get a can't find DirectX 9 message - just reinstall your graphics card drivers.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    If after you install them you get a can't find DirectX 9 message - just reinstall your graphics card drivers.
    Or install direct9 from Microsoft before installing the game. Worked for me.

A fresh install will happen, but can I transfer my game data as well?
    אין דבר, טוב למות בעד ארצנו (Never mind, It is good to die for ones country)- Joseph Trumpeldor, after being mortally wounded at the battle of Tel Chai

Canaan:Total War development team member

Dude, where are my legions?- Augustus Caesar, after Varus's defeat at Teutoberg Wald.

R.I.P. Calvin

Mods and saved games can be transferred but be careful where.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Or install direct9 from Microsoft before installing the game. Worked for me.
    OK, I installed DirectX 9 again after I got the error message but this made no difference. I remember I had this problem with my other system and I don't remember what I did - althogh at one stage I did mess up my system big time.

Re-installing the later drivers worked this time and I'm happy with that - I think DirectX is backwards compatible.....

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

When Vista was released almost three years gao Directx 10 was not backward compatible and I proved it. When I got Vista on an E-machines and it was first run straight out of Redmond. No updates. No Service Packs. You got on their website looking as to why and got the same garnage Sega and CA hands out too much-"new engine". In fact, I had to dig out some old DOS shenanigans to get dx9 installed on that first run.

Is it backward compatible now with Wni7 and dx11? From the posts I have read so far for Rome and Medieval2, I say no.

Citizen

After I converted Vista to 7 I had no problems running RTW and RTW mods. I'm still getting CTDs after battles from the campaign map so I decided to remove RTW and start again. I was able to launch RTW and RTW BI without problems. It was after I installed RSII beta that I got the message.

Well, once I got the first message about needing DirectX9 I installed DirectX9 and still got the message!

All I did then was to reinstall the Nvidia drivers and it worked - so I am happy.

With RTW and Vista/7 it may be the direction of the wind that decides if there is a problem or not......

It got me that once real good and I learn from those real quick. After that I don't beieve the PR hype and do things "the hard way" just because I don't believe them after that no matter how many times they update it.

Believe it or not everytime after that I had to install Vista or 7, I'd install the latest dx9, Windows Media Player, .Net even if Windows said they were up to date. Then install the games. Then install graphics drivers ATI or Nvidia. Then play. No more ctds and error messages.

Now, that's the hard way to some but it works.