Thread: A Tale of Gondor

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default A Tale of Gondor

This story is based on my first TA:TW (which i downloaded today) campaign, playing as Gondor. There may be some pictures added later but for now i'm just writing it. I hope you enjoy my work!

Part 1 It was a breezy, sunny afternoon. Ecthelion, the Steward of Gondor watched his troops training, as he gazed upon the lazy, unskilled militias that comprised the majority of Gondor's defences, he sighed and buried his face deep in his hands. These were no soldiers, they could barely even wield a sword, let alone face an orc. As he thought this, he remembered the last time he saw an orcish army and shuddered, he had never been more terrified in his life, the orcs from Mordor had no real training, but were ferocious, strong and fearless. What's more, for all he knew, Sauron could have amassed thousands of these terrifying, bloodthirsty beasts, ready to be unleashed at his whim.

But no, thought Ecthelion, we must put our minds to improving the situation, and not dwindling on the bad news. On the bright side, he did still have his fountain guards, who were considered the elite, from Dol Amroth to Pelargir, these warriors were known and feared, as the best equipped, best lead, best trained and best disciplined soldiers available. Ecthelion smiled, for the first time in months, dreaming about the glory he would gain, for himself and for his nation, if he could reclaim the ancient city of Osgiliath. But for the moment, looking at what troops he had available to him, he was unsure how exactly he would achieve this great goal. Turning to the militia captains, he said, “Just keep training, I want you to push them hard, and make sure they have all the equipment they need, just show the armourer this letter and he will give you what you ask for. I need them ready within the month.” The captains, looking nervous, saluted quickly and went back to training their men.

As Ecthelion made his way back to the governing chambers of Minas Tirith, he basked in the sunlight, moving slowly, enjoying this rare fine day. It rekindled childhood memories for him, and he remembered when he first came to watch the soldiers train with his father. Those were the days, he reminisced, thinking of the fine soldiering and marksmanship he had seen that day. But alas, they were no more than a fading memory. Ecthelion came to his senses once he entered the cool shade of the great hall and he took his seat upon the throne. “Bring me the enlistment scrolls for our western territories.” He barked at the nearest orderly, who promptly scampered out of the hall, returning some minutes later with an armful of scrolls, depositing them on the great table in front of the steward.

Ecthelion trawled through the documents carefully, when he finished a scroll he merely threw it to the ground swearing loudly, until he came across what he was apparently searching for. Here we go, he thought, these should do perfectly. He smiled and, writing down a note quickly, called over the same orderly. “Make sure this letter gets to Lossarnoch, and quickly.” The orderly took the letter and bowed, Ecthelion kicked him, making him fall over backwards, “Well get a move on then! I said quickly!” The orderly picked himself up and scurried out of the hall, smarting at the bruises he had just received. Ecthelion sighed deeply, rubbing his temple, “I am surrounded by fools!” he proclaimed.

Over the next few days, Ecthelion met with all his chief advisor's, captains and orderlies, finalising what he called the “Gondor Improvement Policies”. Together, they made swift and effective plans, to improve the army for the defence and future expansion of Gondor's territories, to improve Gondor's infrastructure, and to strengthen Gondor's alliances, with the Kingdom of Rohan and also the Dwarves, Elves and Dale if they could. Gondor had few allies, and many enemies, but Ecthelion knew this and knew he had to get what friends he could. He had faith in the men of Rohan and Dale, they were fellow men and encountered orc incursions daily, Ecthelion also felt they owed a debt to Gondor, who were on the front line if Sauron ever attacked. However, Ecthelion knew it would be a harder task with the elves and dwarves, although relations had been strong with the elves ever since they had defeated Sauron many years ago, their numbers were dwindling and they were mostly self-protective. With the dwarves Ecthelion felt his proposals were almost helpless, they were only interested in their own wealth and safekeeping, not in any troubles of the other peoples of middle-earth. Spies were also dispatched to keep an eye on Osgiliath, sending back regular reports of the orcish activity.
    Last edited by René Artois; December 22, 2009 at 10:00 AM.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Not another Gondor story!

Not finished yet but here is the first bit of part 2. Again i hope you enjoy it!
    Part 2 Ecthelion stood over the main gateway leading into Minas Tirith, as he gazed down at the road, a broad grin appeared on his face. In the distance, a large body of dust rose into the air, drawing ever closer to the great city. Some of the guards were panicking, thinking this was the army of Mordor, but Ecthelion was wiser, he knew, even if Sauron was to attack them now, which was unlikely, he would bring more than 300 men. As the host drew nearer Ecthelion shouted down, “Open the gate, quickly!”, and with a great noise, the gate swung open. The men were now near enough to be recognised, these were the men from Lossarnoch, the men Ecthelion had sent for weeks before were here. He knew they were by no means a force the likes of which Gondor used to know, but he knew they were a damn sight better than the militias he currently commanded. These men were ill-trained and ill-disciplined, as the were only farmers, but they wielded great axes which were bigger than the average child, and they knew how to use them.

Ecthelion greeted their commander with a joyful embrace, as they came apart the captain looked uncomfortable. Bowing he reported himself and his troops to the king, “300 men from Lossarnoch ready for duty, sire!” “You are most welcome!” Replied Ecthelion, “Report to your quarters in the barracks, we move for Osgiliath soon!” Saluting, the captain and his men moved off. Excellent, thought Ecthelion, these men will perfectly spearhead our assault!
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Maca's Avatar Decanus

Nice start, I particularly like how you have writteb Ecthelion's attitude towards his people, gives him a personality. His dislike of his militia is rather entertaining!

EOMER's Avatar Civis

Good writing