Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: MTW: Played it lately?

AlexanderII's Avatar Civis

Default MTW: Played it lately?

I just installed MTW for the hell of it, being so bored outta my mind of RTW. I started playing and fell right back into it...I mean, this game is gold. Somehow I was thinking RTW was better then MTW, but MTW is just a classic. The AI is pretty smart, alot smarter than RTW AI, the music is really awesome, the units are varied and have alot of functions, and the maps are genius! Not only that but the battles had alot more strategic depth to them. I must of gotten caught up with the eyecandy of RTW that I totally forgot how much better MTW is. If you are reading this, I urge you to play MTW, just to see what a step back RTW was...

Another thing, you know what is missing from RTW? CG cutscenes. It's like a reward for us for doing something. It gives me extra drive to finish a task, just to see a CG cutscene. Shogun had aplenty, but MTW cut down on them. RTW followed MTW's cue, and now CG cutscenes are very limited. I just hope they make alot more of them so we have extra drive to finish tasks.
    "I'm not a complete idiot -- some parts are missing..."

Mozart, the Led Zeppelin of classical music; or is it Led Zeppelin, the Mozart of classic rock?

Oh, how I loved those Shogun cutscenes... -sniff-

i haven't played MTW in months, not since April when I got RTW.

I went back to playing MTW some time ago - like a few months ago - but it crashes randomly now, even patched up, and sometimes it won't even start - so I uninstalled it.

Then R:TW did the same thing, and I uninstalled that, too.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

visigothe's Avatar Biarchus

just started playing MTW again as well, i lost my VI disc so i had to buy it on ebay since my local stores dindnt have it

Outlined against a blue, grey October Sky the four horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden.

i hate mtw..... i played rtw first and then played mtw. the graphics were just bad. It was too hard to understand

Yes, I play MTW but XL expansion. It is much more fun than RTW. Full XL version is something about 120Mb (if you want new music for every faction and new skins) and light version only about 20Mb, so it is easy to download. Unlike original MTW, you have only few rebel provinces but practically almost all historical factions...Scots, Irish, Serbs, Bulgarians, Cumans, Burgundians, Lithuanians, Portugal, Genoese, Teutonic Order, Hospitaler Knights..etc etc with their original units-256 units total, it is game limit. MTW AI was much better then RTW, but XL is even better, especially tactical one, it is as you confront human player. In addition, unit build up AI is much better, so you would confront much better armies. You and either AI can not build peasant…so you must spend more money for garrison troops. Also very big difference is economy. Trade income is much lover and farming much higher because AI can not efficiently build trade empire routs-so again it will be harder for you. Plus some new provinces and new units for „old“ factions, better-balanced unit statuses (spearmen are better for example) etc.
    If you are not into good graphic, this is far better game than RTW.
    PS. I will put this information about XL as a new theme

.Seal's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by rayzzz
    i hate mtw..... i played rtw first and then played mtw. the graphics were just bad. It was too hard to understand
    Well obviously you arent the ones who started Total Wars from Shogun(oh damn the assasination videos pwned! )

And well Shogun was already something absolutely fantastic i dont remember how many times i played it trough but it was great

Then MTW, it was really something! I played it trough again and again it was probably the best game i had played so far. (maybe ill have to re-install it once again )

RTW is great but not the way MTW was RTW's graphics are lot better than the MTW ones but in the rest MTW > RTW

I remember the battlest where my full army(~6-8k men) would fight against another army with such numbers.. In Rome its impossible to play with +10k men on the field And i liked the MTW diplomacy more than in RTW also the "chess board" as i call the map in it was fun

» My Showroom «

Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Gandhi

If you get past the graphics then MTW is more in depth and better gameplay. Funny that this topic was put up last night. I just got fed up with RTW last night and uninstalled everything except C:TW. I have found my MTW expansion pack with pached MTW & VI and will re-install today until the BI expansion comes out later this month. I will get back into my Byzantine campaign as it was an awesome game experience when I first got my MTW. I never played shogun,I was introduced to the TW series after the VI expansion and loved it ever since.

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by rayzzz
    Because graphics are better than gameplay!

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

i didnt understand it..... were their custom battles on it? and y do custom battles in rtw do not let u defend against a siege

Senator

I like MTW better, because it can be so much more difficult.

Like in my Poland game. I conquered almost all of Eastern Europe, and took a little territory in the Balkans. Then one year, Hungarians, Byzantines, Germans, and the Golden Horde all attacked at the same time. It was crazily difficult. I lost all my core provinces in the first 5 years, and then it took another ten years to take them back after retreating into northern Russia. Now Im grinding my way to Constantinople, and have allied with Spain, who has already conquered all of Spain, and has most of North Africa, as well as some parts of southern France.

AlexanderII's Avatar Civis

That's the great thing about MTW, there was always suprises. Factions would re-emerge, civil wars would pop up out of nowhere, and you had to fight internally as well as externally. Not only that but the religion input in MTW was awesome.

I wonder how RTW would be with the CG cutscenes? I'd love to see that...
    "I'm not a complete idiot -- some parts are missing..."

Mozart, the Led Zeppelin of classical music; or is it Led Zeppelin, the Mozart of classic rock?

Get the MTW_XL Mod by viking horde, makes a great game greater...and dont forget the 3 sided battles, where you actually have more than two sides on a battle field...and they fit!
    Like Demetrious, I also just got fed up with RTW and decided the try Medieval again....no wonder I didnt have a girl friend for a year after this game came out.

You know... for a while now ive been thinking about how great mtw was.

RTW is great too but mtw is classic.

in every way.

the graphics might be worse for wear but i can live with them in exchange for the sheer Feel of mtw.

Civitate

well i dont play RTW anymore cos the AI is just so rubbish. Now i play the Fall of Rome Mod for MTW:VI.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

The only way I would play MTW online again would be if it were an organised team battle. Basically all the players on one team form one huge army. 1 guy controls all the peasent infantry (16 units general is a captian i.e. CMAA while the rest of the units are spears units) 1 guy controls the missiles plus the elites (8 archers and 7 elite units i.e. halbreds, CMAA etc and have the general i.i royal knights). and the last guy controls the cavarly (8 heavy and 8 med/light)

when the battle starts both armies move to thier mutual sides of the map and form thier positions, then once everyoen is ready let the fun begin

this would be great because;

you would actually have to scout as both teams start on other sides of large maps
    you would actually have to work as a team and formulate a plan of attack
    you would have a lot of confusion during the battle as comunication breaks down

unforutnalty I thought of this idea only after RTW was released
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

That would be boring. What's the fun in setting up your line of infantry and then watching a battle for 15 minutes while your teammates actually do the work.

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by ShangTang
    That would be boring. What's the fun in setting up your line of infantry and then watching a battle for 15 minutes while your teammates actually do the work.

precisly why I called it an organised TEAM game. It's not for everyone. but personally I wanted to try something different in MTW after playing multiplayer the same way for 2 year.
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

I just played it yesterday.
    What I usually do now is make a custom battle, normally Germans, swiss, italians, and allies v.s english, or france, or russia, depending...the point is, that I use the MTW game to make casualty figures for battle for my alternate history story (Glory of the Empire)...
    It works for my pusposes...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast