Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Feedback Thread

I have never been told to re- read anything I understood correctly the first time. It means you got it wrong. You don't honestly believe that I told you to re- read it because hidden in the message was a link to whatever you thought I was saying do you????

In my second post, I made it more clear when I included the comment left by Dante
    Well said my friend,[I made only that one post, so I doubt he would be so enthusiastic if he thought I was being negative towards his applicant] also if it seems my latter post is goig after you, rest assured it isn't, it's only the last bit that's really addressed to you personally, alas in the stream of writing it may look confused! -Dante

Let's look at this post again
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Von Hespburg View Post
    I'll just mention again, that' as you've rightly pointed out Pikestance, these are all only personal opinions of Gatsby's own perspective.
    [I actually never address Gatsby specifically. I spoke only in the abstraction. At the time I only read this thread about him and knew next to nothing about him as a poster]

@Everyone to come in- Things like the 'Lack of sophistication'- that's something highly subjective and entirely irrelevant. Since all of us have different ideas about 'Sophistication' and how it should be shown. [I believe this is what Dante meant by it may seem like I am going after you comment because he specifically chose my sarcastic aid] Is it a vein of self important elitism, or the idea that your posts are better than everyone else's? Or indeed on the other hand is it a subtlety to the style of posting? In all cases i don't care as none of it is important to a posters quality in the D&D (though what is important is perhaps the opposite- humility and the ability to ask questions, support others and admit to gaps in your own knowledge, and when wrong, all of which in an open and honest manner, that a sophisticated approach doesn't always combine with.)

All of which Gatsby does, he open mindedly takes in what others say and isn't afraid to ask questions- Something i believe that should ideally be one of the basic traits of all future D&D citizens, too often do people judge 'winning' to be important or being 'eloquent' but those things mean nothing if the poster can't then productively contribute to a discussion and their own learning when their wrong)

The same goes for 'bouts of immaturity', is it immaturity or is it another members way of humour and comic relief? (Both are good things to have in the D&D where light hearted interjections are a fantastic way of improving the atmosphere- I point to all of us in the Scottish Independence thread, humour and 'immaturity' was used from many of the best debaters to either make people interested in what they read, or indeed to try and keep things civil in the first place). Scholarly and in-depth posts are great, but a truly fantastic writing style is one which engages it's audience. Bouts of immaturity and humour do this, they lighten up what may otherwise be a stuffy long winded post (trust me... my posts are all about the latter if you've ever had the misfortune to read one of my thread OP's). It's a powerful writing tool for a forum which should not be knocked out of hand.

Regardless though this all comes back to a seeming evaluation which is i'd put forward entirely irrelevant and subjective towards Gatsby's own beliefs (again as you can see, a great many of which i share).. These would only matter if we wished citizenship to be about a group of people who are all similar 'Yes-men' ... surely that's not what we want my friends!?

It should be an award for contribution. A recognition. This is something that undoubtedly Gatsby deserves. He has contributed above and beyond with the quality of his posts, with his active participation in improving said quality of threads he engages in, with his open minded style, and his awareness that you don't need to grind someone into dust to be a productive member of the D&D, it's all about putting forward your own ideas, but also being interested in others. Too many posters lose site that learning should be the ultimate goal. Not forcing perspectives down other peoples throats (Incidentally this is exactly the incident which usually causes D&D moderators to have to step in!) So i'm all for supporting a new approach and encouraging a better, different breed of debaters from some of the perhaps prevalent attitudes we have now from groups of newer members.

@Pikestance specifically, i believe i saw in your VV thread concerning the history forum that you wished to encourage the same sort of attitude as i do to debate and discussion. I'd put forward that the style i'm talking about is surely the one your looking for, Of engaging productive post(ers )) with an openness to there perspectives, who ask questions. That's what i'd say D&D citizenship should be about my friend.
    I think he is trying to make is that he believed that Gatsby is ort of poster I would like to see more of. He would be right. THis only makes sense if he thought I might have been on the fence. Ironically, I wasn't anywhere near the fence yet... I knew nothing about him. This being said, i soon discovered that Dante was 100% correct.

In any event, even after I posted this message, you still didn't get I wasn't commenting on him. You were still asking for a link????

As for the 3-2-1 egg in the face,... well that was a little extra "kick in the pants" to get you to see that you got it backwards. You responded at 8:02 (2 mins later)
    Go on, then. Nudge me.
    again at 8:19
    Please nudge me then.
    Still, it did not cross your mind that maybe you got it wrong???

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Whether it crossed Jom's mind or not, you were more intent on making him look stupid than actually resolving the misunderstanding.

As for the 3-2-1 egg in the face,... well that was a little extra "kick in the pants" to get you to see that you got it backwards
    Where ""kick in the pants" to get you to see that you got it backwards" = make you look like a fool while offering nothing to resolve the issue, only aggravate it.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I did get it wrong, but your post wasn't exactly screaming "this is sarcastic", as you're perfectly capable of having that attitude towards Gatsby.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Whether it crossed Jom's mind or not, you were more intent on making him look stupid than actually resolving the misunderstanding.

Where ""kick in the pants" to get you to see that you got it backwards" = make you look like a fool while offering nothing to resolve the issue, only aggravate it.
    My only intent was getting him to see that he got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    I did get it wrong, but your post wasn't exactly screaming "this is sarcastic", as you're perfectly capable of having that attitude towards Gatsby.
    evidently

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Dear Captain Curator, could you please move a copy of Justinian's "Guide for new CdeC Councillors" or however it was called from the Triumvirate forum to the Questiones Perpetuae, edit it according to what relates to citizens judging applicants and sticky it, please?

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

This bit?

Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; July 14, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Blog Entries

Precisely
    Obviously needs updating with regards to patrons ability and right to participate in the applications of their clients (in contrary to that they're still not allowed to vote).
    But I guess it couldn't hurt to have that stick in the QP, as some sort of informal (you can make it formal too) code of conduct in citizen apps.

Also, there was a part of conduct within closed chambers, that could do good too. You know, the part with the disparaging commentaries and all that (avoid them of course).
    Last edited by Aikanár; July 14, 2014 at 02:50 PM.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Check your Inbox.

Blog Entries

but it's only Monday honey ... not again

Citizen

Blog Entries

Aikeyboo don't be like that...

EDIT: Double checking in quarters but will get that sorted out ASAP.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; July 14, 2014 at 02:58 PM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, cheers. Just a suggestion. It didn't hurt to have the guide for councillors, specially with regards to conduct. Now since its citizens who do councillor's work now, it couldn't hurt for them either, now could it?

Citizen

Blog Entries

That is dangerously close to codifying what behaviour becoming of a Citizen is...

If a minimum conduct is implemented there would be no need for referrals because it would be (more) evident when the conduct was broken? Or do you just mean in regards to Citizen apps?

Also, the appeal process requires using MTV, probably a good idea to copy that into the QP as well.

Blog Entries

I just mean for citizen apps. Why would behaviour which was deemed inappropriate for a councillor be appropriate for citizens with regards to what they deal with: citizen apps.

@MTV: couldn't hurt either.

All in all it's the Big C's decision

Let us summon the AL

Also, remember that the guide is "unofficial" as long as it's just a guide and not a curial decision. But I don't see how
    - criticise the contributions, not the contributor
    - don't make disparaging comments about other members
    - if you vote no, provide a reason for doing so
    - help the applicant with constructive criticism
    &c.
    could be a bad thing to have.
    Last edited by Aikanár; July 14, 2014 at 03:42 PM.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Aikanár View Post
    Let us summon the AL

I don't have an issue with a "best practices" guide being put up in the QP, but I can't find the thread by Justinian to determine what should be edited out as either outdated or overbearing.

As for the whole back and forth about the Citizen applicant and mincing words, this is all I have to say:

Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; July 16, 2014 at 03:21 PM.

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Official message from the C.D.R.F.*

Acronyms are useful, of course, but can be a bit messy for the most novice or the most awkward. Let us try to to use them the lowest possible.

*committee in defense of rookies and fools
    Last edited by mishkin; July 18, 2014 at 06:13 AM.

Blog Entries

apps = applications
    QP = Quaestiones Perpetuae
    MTV = multiple transferable vote
    Big C = Curator
    AL = Augustus Luficer

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Yes, I knew all but MTV. Its not big deal, but maybe this way the curia could be a little bit friendliest to noobs.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Read a couple of Mega's posts and you will see how easy this is.

Blog Entries

I still need a Mega - Aik, Aik - Mega dictionary

Citizen

Blog Entries

I am fairly proficient in Megian so just give us a shout if you need anything translated.