Page 68 of 418 FirstFirst ... 184358596061626364656667686970717273747576777893118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 8344

Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Default Re: Townhall - Curator/CdeC/CAT Feedback Thread

Of course promises are cheap, but only awarding citizenship based on concrete achievements is what causes the rightful charges of elitism and raising the bar too high, to be levelled at the Curia. Sometimes we need to push the boundaries of what we accept and give people a chance to show their mettle. We will not be able to award any RTW2 modding citizenships for what 2 years probably so do we put aside promising candidates for 2 years? No give it to them, now, give them a reason to stay and inspire others.

The thing is that I like to be charged of that kind of elitism it that is the case. The proces now is designed to evaluate achievements, in my opinion the level of the bar depends in the case (applicant work sympathy), the members of the CdC and how the people expressing their opinion about it would have expected to be evalutated themselves.

How would promises would be evaluated? I think for that you have reputation, even "most promissing mod or modder award". I have always seen the CdC citizenry proces, even with its variability, much more fair than the rest of the motivational items of the site when evaluating your commitment to TWC.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Citizenship is not a motivational ploy its an acknowledgement of one's contributions to the site. You mod because you want to, not so that you can get citizenship. There is a reason very few modders actually care about the Curia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

For me it is motivational, recognition is one of the universal motivations. Once you get it, and you cannot get it twice, it ends there and it is a motivation related to TWC not the CVRIA. The CVRIA has a problem of motivation itself. What is the CVRIA for? how is it useful once you become a citizen? Is it more important for modders than modding? have they got time for both? Modding is very time consuming and many people does not have much time to spend in all TWC activity. Certainly while I write here I am not adding new equipment to another of my mod units.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas The Lion View Post
    Citizenship is not a motivational ploy its an acknowledgement of one's contributions to the site. You mod because you want to, not so that you can get citizenship. There is a reason very few modders actually care about the Curia.
    Share this perception; as well for those who is here just to help others out or debate etc.

And now if a member participate TWC for the aim to gain citizenship, and then that is achived trough constructive contributions - then it will only an improvment for TWC as a whole.
    Last edited by Ngugi; December 31, 2012 at 10:29 AM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow'...archy_of_needs

This theory is a bit old but basically valid.

The citizenship is in the esteem level.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    I do not agree with this vision. Many people has worked on playable things and are not going all over the place promissing things they do not know how to do or make it work. But people promisssing fantastic things get the attention and even the awards and this is discouraging for the serious hard worker modders. If we do not accept sometimes not useful work because it has not been published so it is useful for everyone visiting the site, why would we accept it randomly?

For example, so many times I have seen people announcing they are going to make ships models, even aircrafts and at the minute they receive a quite big lot of visits, reputation and even are proposed for an award, and receive them. And what happens then? In few months the thread is abandoned.

There is people anouncing mods for Rome II.

I would only accept this is if there is proof of work. Promissing is very cheap.
    It's not a promise though is it. He says he'll be involved modding Rome II but that's besides the point.

Everyone applies to be a citizen. Not an Artifex, Civitate or Citizen brand. But to be a citizen. If you apply as a debater more consideration goes toward debating, and generally helping other members out. In this case, there is seemingly no weight given to him helping other members with something very new for Total War. There's no weight given to the example he is setting in seeing what is possible with campaign map re-processing. He would represent citizenship with an Artifex badge quite well do you not think? That's more than enough - setting a good example. You can't expect every citizen to be in the Curia, debating nonsensical theories on "what is citizenship? hmmpvvv" all the time.

There is a growing propensity to set the bar too high, when the likes of Opifex and Phalera are defined constitutionally as awards. Citizenship isn't an award. Until it's listed under Community Awards in the constitution, it's not an award. It's a total myth that it is and the Curia will never be representative or useful if you're only looking to give citizenship to people at the tail end of their contributions to the community.

Having a bit of foresight is not a big ask is it? Is it so difficult to spot talented people on TWC these days? As someone looking to patronize, I can tell you it's difficult right now. Not because of the lack of talented people available - I've asked plenty of no brainers on it. Unfortunately most are too scared to try. It gives me sad face .

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

did people forget or in the first case never felt how pride they where with the badge ?
    It makes for more motivation. more good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q View Post
    It's not a promise though is it. He says he'll be involved modding Rome II but that's besides the point.

Everyone applies to be a citizen. Not an Artifex, Civitate or Citizen brand. But to be a citizen. If you apply as a debater more consideration goes toward debating, and generally helping other members out. In this case, there is seemingly no weight given to him helping other members with something very new for Total War. There's no weight given to the example he is setting in seeing what is possible with campaign map re-processing. He would represent citizenship with an Artifex badge quite well do you not think? That's more than enough - setting a good example. You can't expect every citizen to be in the Curia, debating nonsensical theories on "what is citizenship? hmmpvvv" all the time.

There is a growing propensity to set the bar too high, when the likes of Opifex and Phalera are defined constitutionally as awards. Citizenship isn't an award. Until it's listed under Community Awards in the constitution, it's not an award. It's a total myth that it is and the Curia will never be representative or useful if you're only looking to give citizenship to people at the tail end of their contributions to the community.

Having a bit of foresight is not a big ask is it? Is it so difficult to spot talented people on TWC these days? As someone looking to patronize, I can tell you it's difficult right now. Not because of the lack of talented people available - I've asked plenty of no brainers on it. Unfortunately most are too scared to try. It gives me sad face .
    I was not talking about the actual cases in the CdC but the change in the criteria to evaluate contributions or and promissing people.

I have tried to make new ship moddels but failed. I have not made it public before I failed because I think it does not deserve attention because several causes maybe because I would not be the first saying it and it was not a great effort before it failed. Anyway that is my busines. And I would not base my application on that.

Probably you are right on that not all efforts have to succeed to be rewarded or recongized. But this failed or not finished efforts have to be measurable by them self and their relevance.

Citizenship is not oficially an award but is motivational. I never said it was an award, anyway this debate of award or not award is just a vocabulary debate. The important thing, for me, is that it is motivational.

@G. Brewster. How the motivation works is different for every person. Maybe for some people getting it just balance the things so they are calmed from then on so they do not feel eager of getting it. For other people makes them work better. And sometimes or many times it is a time limited motivation so few months later the new citizen can be having the same or lower level of motivation (if they feel it is a empty of content badge)
    Last edited by Bethencourt; December 31, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Blog Entries

I think everyone is overreacting.

If I did what he did/does and got rejected I either stop modding or move to a place it is appeticiated.
    Cause that's what it is looking like.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post

If I did what he did/does and got rejected I either stop modding or move to a place it is appeticiated.
    You are talking about one or two actual applications, isn't it?. Maybe others too. But this is not my case. Anyway I am reading a very civilizated debate. And who knows? maybe it is worthy for the applicants you are patronizing.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; December 31, 2012 at 11:53 AM.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

What has he did/done though?

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I can sympathize with both sides of this debate. In the end, however, it will be up to each individual councilor to define what he understands as "citizenship." Neither side is perfectly right when it comes to defining citizenship. Moreover, most of the current CdeC members were elected on the basis of holding a "hard contribution" type of view (based on what applicants' have already accomplished). They want hard contributions that can be evaluated objectively. I myself am leaning this way. But I have to admit, it is not easy for me. Brewster's last two clients have given me a lot to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    I can sympathize with both sides of this debate. In the end, however, it will be up to each individual councilor to define what he understands as "citizenship." Neither side is perfectly right when it comes to defining citizenship. Moreover, most of the current CdeC members were elected on the basis of holding a "hard contribution" type of view (based on what applicants' have already accomplished). They want hard contributions that can be evaluated objectively. I myself am leaning this way. But I have to admit, it is not easy for me. Brewster's last two clients have given me a lot to think about.

Maybe because of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    Probably you are right on that not all efforts have to succeed to be rewarded or recongized. But this failed or not finished efforts have to be measurable by them self and their relevance.
    And this is very difficult to do.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; December 31, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

If I did what he did/does and got rejected I either stop modding or move to a place it is appreciated.
    That is an immature way of going about things.

Brewster,
    In my younger days I too saw potential and proposed clients before their time, take a look at Code_Knight's and Capt. Fozdikes first apps with me as their patron. The reservations brought up in those cases were similar as in this case. Did they leave? No, they kept at it and then went on not only to become citizens but moderators as well. Nobody is doubting him, we are simply saying that we want to see more before we can decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Blog Entries

Typing stuff here goes to blind eyes.

Rather go and check the s2 map thread he put put a settlement and units on the new landmass

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

The Curial list needs updating, just thought I would let you know

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Everything should be up to date by tomorrow evening my time. I've been away and using my tablet which has made any post editing a chore. I'm now computered-up and ready to rumble.

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    I'm with Omnipotent here. We should be awarding citizenship as much on potential as achievement and what he has already done and what he will achieve will be up there with other Artifex awards - Milner and PunitorMaximus are the most recent two and they passed with flying colours. Remlap passed 11-0 and much of his work was by his own admission not visible - OK his Minecraft work was exemplary.

Citizenship should not just be an award for what you have already done, it has to be seen as a viable goal for those users who are willing to contribute to the site in future, now it is easy to say "well I will do X, Y and Z when I am a citizen" but the CdeC are not then held accountable for the citizen's failing to follow up on those promises if they don't do everything they have said. You should though grasp an opportunity to further a users TWC progress and contribution where all prior evidence points to the user doing those things they have promised to improve on. Looks lto me like the applicant will indeed do as he says, so give him the opportunity and get an inner glow of happiness when he succeeds!
    Citizenship selection (through precedent) went down a bad, dark, scary road akin to Neo-Facism... one of the reasons I left the CdC. Citizenship should be about activity, and good energy input into the community, and not stricter and stricter pseudo-rules designed to raise the importance and holier-than-thoughness of those that make them.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

This is what I'm not sure about, if you feel like that then surely you'd want to be part of CdeC in an effort to change it?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE