Thread: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Townhall - Curial Commentary and Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    Why you, guys, don't you wait and see how things go? Then if it appears to be a real problem, that term duration can be adjusted accordingly by just a quick and very simple amendement.
    Yeah, pretty much sums it up

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Quote Originally Posted by Iskar View Post
    Or you're just preemptively doomsaying an idea you don't like. See how it plays out, then propose a remedy later if it proves to be necessary. It's not as if we're in a hurry with anything in the Curia.
    It isn't exactly a doomsday scenario if it is a common occurrence.
    The only part I didn't like was the opening of the Prathalomos. I wasn't against the notion of a "moderator officer." I wasn't too keen on the form presented. I have made similar proposals myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I'm a convinced supporter of the idea that new things need to be tried and later amended, rather than discussed indefinitely; in a way or another it's impossible to fully forecast the outcomes of a change, human history is full of such examples
    under this logic I supported and voted yes for Hader's proposal and under the same logic I'd say that trying to see how it goes with the long service term required to the PP is perfectly fine, we might be surprised in the end
    Nice sentiment! I do not think many shares this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    @ Pike, lol nice pic, it looks like my face after a night out partying
    I might assume you have not seen the series Vikings. I suggest you watch it.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Doomsaying and doomsday scenarios are quite different things.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

I wouldn't describe stating common occurrences of Curial officers and staff resigning from a post early or having real-life issues as a "doom." It happens. Even if it did, it is not the end of the world (hyperbole is allowed in this discussion, right).

Time for a shameless plug. La Fin Du Monde.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

And neither did I apply the term doom. The word I used was doomsaying, but since two associative leaps based on a decontextualised portion of the word are enough for me, we should leave it at that.

—-

On another note, I see a certain upshot of „Proposals“ in the Curia main. Others may see these more favourably, but to me they look like cheap ways to get around posting actual proposals in the Proth where, horribile dictu, the unwashed masses might touch them.
    As such I won't discuss any of these proposals until they are posted where proposals belong.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

And neither did I apply the term doom. The word I used was doomsaying, but since two associative leaps based on a decontextualised portion of the word are enough for me, we should leave it at that.
    I will give you credit, at least you recognize semantics when you see it, sort of.

—-

On another note, I see a certain upshot of „Proposals“ in the Curia main. Others may see these more favourably, but to me they look like cheap ways to get around posting actual proposals in the Proth where, horribile dictu, the unwashed masses might touch them.
    As such I won't discuss any of these proposals until they are posted where proposals belong.
    I have always use the Curia main for opening discussion for new ideas. You doubt it, have a look.

1. [Discussion] Changing Removal of Rank to Indefinite Suspension
    2. Censor Reboot
    3. Citizenship Application: Is enough, enough?
    4. Little Communities Idea
    5. The Age of Aquarius: Seriatim [Discussion of the Triumvirate System]
    6. Pike Gone Crazy [Total Overhaul] (Who can forget this one. it is included because the discussion did lead to another of proposals.
    7. Forum Overhaul Discussion
    8. Board of Directors Management
    9. Citizens Registration Initiative (Discussion)
    10. Concilium Domorum (Discussion)
    11. The Loss Citizenship Conundrum
    12. A Modder's Workshop (Conceptual Idea) I could leave this one off since it was more of a concept I am not sure is technically possible. However, if it were, I still would have posted it there.
    13. Discussion and Debate Forum Panel
    14. Modding Staff Proposal (Discussion)
    15. TWC Currency Concept
    16. [Discussion/Proposal] Senator/ Senate proposal Idea

I should also note that I am not alone using the Curia main for discussion. The Prothalomos has always been a place for a formal proposal. The changes suggested should change minor details and not make major overhauls to the proposal. I have made some proposals in the Prothalomos that I wish, in retrospect, had placed in the Curia main. If you do not want to participate in the discussion that is your prerogative. The CCT allows everyone to have a voice. As a pereginus, I have done that many times.

I do not appreciate the groundless accusation.

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

To avoid any confusion I would suggest editing the title to just say [Discussion] and not [Discussion/Proposal].

In other news, the praefect polls are now concluded. Congratulations to Katsumoto who is our first Primus Praefect and congratulations to both Quintus Hortensius Hortalus and Van Zandt who will serve as the first Praefects. Qunitus with the majority vote shall serve a six month term and Van Zandt shall serve a three month term.
    Last edited by StealthFox; March 05, 2019 at 04:33 PM.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

So we have a Primus Praefect, who is in office for 1 year, elected by just 5 people and a Praefect in office for 3 months, elected by 2 people.
    No disrespect to Katsumoto or Van Zandt, but thats pretty terrible activity amongst the Curia. Tbh I do reckon 3 day applications and 4 day votes are too short.

Good luck to Katsumoto, Van Zandt and Quintus though.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Talk about mandate Not that I think they are not suitable candidates. It probably has to do with the make up of the vote.

Election participation has not suffered since the periods were shortened. They have decreased by almost 50% for the Primus and Prafect votes. Maybe you can conclude that people weren't too thrilled about that part of the Order 66. Perhaps not. To move it onto the shortened voting periods would be false. As both magistrates elections had 23 and 26 voters in the same period. The two censor votes had 21 and 19 votes respectively. You can't really speak of a declining number of participants in votes overall.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    To avoid any confusion I would suggest editing the title to just say [Discussion] and not [Discussion/Proposal].
    It has never been a problem in the past.
    The proposals in question are in development. There are a number of reasons why it is more advantageous to post in the Curia main.
    1. You do not have to worry about amending the Constitution. If there are wholesale changes then this saves time.
    2. The "opposed" posters tend to not post.
    3. It is more of a discussion than a "debate."
    4. As mentioned, it is usually a poorly developed idea rather than a developed one. There are areas that would need to be determined through discussion.

The best phrase would be Proposal Development Discussion. Seems wordy. Moreover, all proposals have to go to the Prothalomos before it can go to a vote. It is silly to suggest that posting in the Curia main is avoiding the posting in the Prothalomos.

Praefect Elections

It is rare to break the 20 vote barrier. The elections received 12 and 14 votes. It is low, but it is hardly indicative of anything bad. We have had low votes before. However, over time, the barrier will get fewer as patronages is fewer. This means fewer citizens participating. Order 66 didn't address the central problem. We created 3 praefects to police about 15-25 citizens (the ones that vote). The Curia has an infamous reputation, but we still have not addressed that. if anything, stuff like this does not help. If we want people to join us, we at least have to act like we are friendly to each other.

Good News bad news losing the primus praefect Election.

The good news is that you can run again in March. The bad news it will be March 2020.

If we cannot have fun with this, then why are we here.
    Last edited by PikeStance; March 05, 2019 at 09:09 PM.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Congratulations Katsumoto on winning the election!
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es

It's indeed not ideal that so few voted, perhaps people didn't realise what it was for or weren't interested. Still, this doesn't seem to be part of a trend, as mentioned we're still getting 20 votes on average for most votes. I don't think the voting duration is the issue as most people vote in the first couple of days I believe.

In any case, congrats to my fellow Praefects, and thanks to all 5 of you who have placed your trust in me! I hope to serve the Curia well in the coming year.
    Last edited by Katsumoto; March 06, 2019 at 02:24 AM.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Looking forward to working with Katsumoto and Quintus.

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

It was too difficult to decide indeed and as I was busy with RL stuff, I missed the voting only by a few hours, sorry about that guys
    My best wishes to Kats, Quintus, and Va Zandt ofc. May you have thriving terms guys

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Any plans for the new badges Kats?

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Thanks to all who voted for me and congrats to Katsumoto and Van Zandt!

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Thanks to all who voted for me and congrats to Katsumoto and Van Zandt!
    What about those who supported you, but lost the voting window?

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    What about those who supported you, but lost the voting window?
    All those obviously too But next time, vote!

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    All those obviously too But next time, vote!
    Hold your horses cowboy...Whipping is Flinn's profession