Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Militia

Default Militia

Anyone have any picks of Militia uniforms from this period?

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Default Re: Militia

Most nations had militia type units. For Prussia and Austria and minor German states search Landwehr.For Russia ,Opolchenie. I suppose the French equivalent were National Guard .

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

From Knotel Uniformenkunde
    Last edited by Jihada; December 22, 2009 at 10:25 AM.

Brilliant got any of Brit militia?

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

I don't think Britain used militia really at this time.

Pretty sure they did, Ive found references to them...

I already saw pics of Landwehr in NTW I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

Watch Sharpe, they have militia there .

Ill look into that cheers.

What are the names of those hats the militia are wearing in that picture?

The Yeomen in Sharpe had 'Tarleton' hats.
    Nobody expects the Imperial Inquisition

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    I don't think Britain used militia really at this time.
    Britian had an extremely large force of militia conscripted under the Ballot Act and organised into County based forces. They also had a secondary orgnaisations called the Army of the Reserve which were recruited in the same way but were eligable for service in the regular army if they ciould be persuaded to volunteer.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by brucedickenson View Post
    What are the names of those hats the militia are wearing in that picture?

The Yeomen in Sharpe had 'Tarleton' hats.
    I was wondering the same thing, they look like officer hats.

Russian militia types Opolchenie. Some had pilkes and no muskets.

Worcestershire militia. The British militia uniform doesn 't seem much different from the line infantry but there would have been many individual differences.

The Spanish wore all sorts of uniform styles .especally militia units.

US militia seems to have no standard uniform ,many different styles.
    Last edited by Jihada; December 27, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Here a beautiful painting about Militia. Spanish one in this case.

These guys are reenactors doing the "Aragon Volunteers"

Battalion of Clavijo (Third Volunteers of Leon) Battle of Medina de Ríoseco 1808
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    Worcestershire militia. The British militia uniform doesn 't seem much different from the line infantry but there would have been many individual differences.
    Yes, as far as I can tell the British Militia and Army of the Reserve wore standard regulation uniforms. The only differences would be in the details, e.g. facing colours, regimental colours and buttons.

The Yeomanry in Sharpe were light cavalry and so were wearing the standard light cavalry attire of the period which included a Tarleton Helmet, it was later replaced by a light dragoon shako.

Manchester Yeomanry charge the crowd at Peterloo 1819
    Last edited by Didz; December 28, 2009 at 02:33 AM.

Soveriegn's Avatar Miles

@Jihada

US militia was put on a shirt and pants, its time to do some shootin!
    Fight for Old Glory!

The US militia were a disaster during the War of 1812 at least in field battles but I suppose that could be said of many militia units at the time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_(United_States)

Quote Originally Posted by Jihada View Post
    The US militia were a disaster during the War of 1812 at least in field battles but I suppose that could be said of many militia units at the time
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militia_(United_States)
    I think that would largely depend upon the purpose for which the militia was raised, the method by which it was raised and equally important the method used to recruit the regular army of the same nation.

For example the British Militia was raised solely for the purpose of providing a dependable force of men capable of defending the homeland. It was raised by Conscription Ballot, and so very few men were exempt, although substitutes could be purchased by those with the money to do so. Equally, important was the fact that service in the militia exempted the militiaman from service in the Regular Army or the Royal Navy, and that both these services relied upon volunteers (plus impressment for the Royal Navy). Consequently, the average militiaman was from a higher social class than the average soldier, probably lower middle class, upper working class. Their shortcoming was their officers and militia is reported to have been used as little more than a popular drinking club by the upper classes, often officers never even saw their units let alone served with them. However, the general standard of drill and discipline was said to be higher than that of the regular army, and on the couple of occassions they saw action they acquitted themselves well. Certainly, the regular army considered the militia to be a great source of recruits once they were finally given the right to ask them for volunteers, and trained militiamen could virtually choose which regiment they wanted to join. The main thing was that there was no conflict over recruits between the militia and regular army and so unlike other nations the British militia was not formed by the left-overs that were unfit for regular service, but in many way's it was the other way around with the regulars having to make do with the more desperate of society, whilst those with the intelligence and funds joined the militia.

By comparison the Landwehr in the Prussian Army was formed from the 'Levee en-masse' ordered in each canton during 1813. The 'Krumper System had only produced 37,000 men and these had already been mobilzed and absorbed into the regular army a month before, now all cantons were required to list all able bodied men for possible service in the Army of the Reserve and the Landwehr. Those aged between 17 and 24 were then given eight days to report for duty with the Army of the Reserve in February 1813, and a month later the Landwehr were mobilised from those that were left producing a further 120,000 troops by July 1813. But apart from a few officers transferred from the line and Volunteer FrieKorps these Landwehr units were formed from those men who had already been excluded from service in the Regular or Reserve forces.
    Last edited by Didz; December 31, 2009 at 05:41 AM.

I can't think of any battles involving British militia except those ninor engagements in Ireland and when the French landed a small force near Fishguard.In the wargame battles I played using the board game 'Four Lost Battles' and reading abot the 1613 campaign in Germany it seems the Landwehr,especially Silesian Landwehr,performed well on the whole.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Silesian Landwehr reenactment group at Grossberen.
    Last edited by Jihada; January 01, 2010 at 12:51 AM.

The National Guard where not militia units, they were proper soldiers during the revolution. I suppose the French didn't have militia units per say, just citizens in arms. Nothing More! The British militia was kind of the same thing, but it did come in units, not just rabble. What about spanish gurrila (or however you spell it) do we want to touch on them.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Beale View Post
    What about spanish gurrila (or however you spell it) do we want to touch on them.
    I posted above some pictures of Spanish Militia units. Some might be surprised to learn that besides sterotypical guerrillas, Spain also mustered quite an amount of propper militia units.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast