Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mankinds worst fear

Default Mankinds worst fear

Been giving this some thought lately, and I think the worst fear we have is that we are all alone in the universe. That there would be no one else, no others species, no higher beings, no nothing. That we are all alone in this huge place.

which would equate to, what i believe is the biggest fear, that life has no meaning.

Mankinds worst fear: all computers crash and no one will be able to play RTW anymore. "duh"

But seriously, wouldn't it be nice to actually know that there is no one else in the universe so we don't have to wonder about it anymore?
    Proud member of Rise of Persia
    ROP Faction Preview: Thrakian Bessoi
    ROP Faction Preview: Persia

Under the honourable and illuminating patronage of Perikles , reputable son of imb39 in the house of Wilpuri

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Its worst fear is being totally obliterated from the universe.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

bushes stupidity!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterCommander
    bushes stupidity!
    How original. How about you just leave the thread now before you force the bar even lower?

its just my opinion i was in iraq he made stupid moves

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

"Been giving this some thought lately, and I think the worst fear we have is that we are all alone in the universe. That there would be no one else, no others species, no higher beings, no nothing. That we are all alone in this huge place."

Errr, I don't agree at all... so what if we are alone? I'm having fun here on this planet so I don't care!!!

i think man's greatest fear is death, or lack of life. almost every culture has a myth about the afterlife of some sort, to ease the pain of death

its just my opinion i was in iraq he made stupid moves
    What were you doing in Iraq?

I think mankind's worst fear is that when we die, we don't exist anymore, that there is no meaning, like Pyrrus said.
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer

"i think man's greatest fear is death, or lack of life. almost every culture has a myth about the afterlife of some sort, to ease the pain of death"

yeah, but also pain... some people might be able to accept death if it's not too painful. Like instead of lying on the ground with your guts pouring out of your stomach and screaming for 2 hours you get a quick headshot.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Or maybe our biggest fear is that we aren't alone.
    That there are load of other species
    But that we are the most stupid of all.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer

But that we are the most stupid of all.
    Bla Bla Bla, that's a so overused cliché

Or maybe the other species are really stupid and eat their own fecies? just a thought

haloband's Avatar Semisalis

"Or maybe our biggest fear is that we aren't alone.
    That there are load of other species
    But that we are the most stupid of all."

God help us if we are the smartest this universe has to offer.

Silenced's Avatar Foederatus

Mankinds biggest fear is annhilation. Either from some strange alien force or ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by allthesedamnnamesaretaken
    i think man's greatest fear is death, or lack of life. almost every culture has a myth about the afterlife of some sort, to ease the pain of death
    Bingo. Death is our biggest fear, individually, and as a society. It is not true that humans are the only species in the planet that are completely aware of their coming death, as the norm says.

Yes, we are well aware that our physical death will eventually come to pass, but we as humans still cling on to the ideal that our soul will continue on forever and that it will take on another form of being in the after-life. As stated above, this is the reason for most of religion's explanations of what happens after our physical death. Most humans cannot accept the fact that their mental form will not survive death.

All in all, I think we are all just organic material that is awaiting to die, desintegrate, and reform into another kind of organic material. But it all depends on what side of reality you are on.
    Last edited by Siblesz; September 01, 2005 at 05:53 PM.
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Hamelkart's Avatar Senator

Yeah, Siblesz, but did you ever wonder if you're really "alive"? I think the greatest human fear is to not know. Not know anything about life, universe, and that "higher something" that holds balance in the same universe, creating something from nothing, mysterious circles of space and time etc. Well, at least I know that's MY greatest fear.

My worst fear is losing a certain someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54
    My worst fear is losing a certain someone.
    Would that certain someone be concerned with a particular individual named Siblesz? *cough cough*
    Hypocrisy is the foundation of sin.

Proud patron of: The Magnanimous Household of Siblesz
    Timendi causa est nescire.
    Member of S.I.N.

Being forgotten and no longer existing, at least in my opinion. Thats why every successful religion has some sort of positive continuty after death.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast