Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Bugs, issues and installation problems thread.

Default Re: Bugs, issues and installation problems thread.

GM207

I don’t get why your game is any different to mine, as long as it is installed properly it should work fine apart from the known map issue around Greece [which you just go back to a saved game and move your characters around [I got this in rtw too]. Perhaps copy and paste the rome data file into your Sparta folder then past Sparta over the top just to ensure everything vanilla is in place, I think it installs better if you unzip Sparta to a separate place before copying it into rome. It is always good to make plenty of saves!

Spartan198

As you have seen in the dev forum, I am learning m2 skinning [and soon modelling] so stw4 will most likely be for m2k. Also there is a classical modbase being made which Sparta will go over the top of. It will be a while before it is all done, but I would ultimately like to do a complete history of Sparta mod [historically based], if we do make that then I will be making special characters for it and of course leonidas will be in there. It will be greek based and will also allow for massive expansion and colonisation as like stw3.5 is. I will do more for the other cultures too so as to make them more immersive.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

GM207's Avatar Decanus

STW 3.5 I tried countless times downloading it, from diffrent sources and still giving me problems when loading a battle sceen, are getting into a battle.
    May be it's just windows 7 issues? don't know but guys I gotta say this mod is realy good, I woold also like to suggest to you something about the game.
    you know the scale of battle in reality was way more then the one we play today on out little computers, I am talking in reality long ago armies use to be bigger 40,000 strong, but I thing to get these games into this feel of reality aspect of it, it's either we have to kick up a notch with the count of troops on the battle field, OR, we can have the population in the cities less, and when that happens, you are more affraid to loss a battle or loose an armie there for it adds more reality to the game, and the dissisions you make.
    Example Corinth has a 3000 population, figure have are women and some are children, the rest can be soldiers you would have about 1300 troop count to move around from Corinth, and you are more carful to lose an army cz population growth at settlements also grow slowly thus making troops hard to come by and therefore more causious and afraid to loose troops.
    Please tell me what you think about this.

GM207's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    GM207

I don’t get why your game is any different to mine, as long as it is installed properly it should work fine apart from the known map issue around Greece [which you just go back to a saved game and move your characters around [I got this in rtw too]. Perhaps copy and paste the rome data file into your Sparta folder then past Sparta over the top just to ensure everything vanilla is in place, I think it installs better if you unzip Sparta to a separate place before copying it into rome. It is always good to make plenty of saves!

Can you please explain step by step on how to do that bro, ((((Perhaps copy and paste the rome data file into your Sparta folder then past Sparta over the top just to ensure everything vanilla is in place, I think it installs better if you unzip Sparta to a separate place before copying it into rome. It is always good to make plenty of saves!)))) don't exactly know how it's done, you mean the original Data folder from the original RTW game copy that and past it into the downloaded Data file from Sparta, please explain with more detail, and again thank you for taking the time to help me out here.

Spartan198

As you have seen in the dev forum, I am learning m2 skinning [and soon modelling] so stw4 will most likely be for m2k. Also there is a classical modbase being made which Sparta will go over the top of. It will be a while before it is all done, but I would ultimately like to do a complete history of Sparta mod [historically based], if we do make that then I will be making special characters for it and of course leonidas will be in there. It will be greek based and will also allow for massive expansion and colonisation as like stw3.5 is. I will do more for the other cultures too so as to make them more immersive.

With respect to your suggestion, I done what I could to make the game more exiting and have lots of large army battles, if you do things to keep populations down and money tight then you just get small battles and the ai rarely upgrades to stronger units etc.

For the install; you have an install of Sparta with a Sparta folder, so copy the main data folder and paste it over the top of the Sparta data folder, then paste the Sparta folder over the top of that. It just means that all files are present in case the game gets confused as it can do with modfoldered mods. I mean e.g. I had to copy the symbols and the new engine skins from Sparta into the main data folder of rome for them to show up in game, yet most people don’t have to do that. It doesn’t make any sense I know but I think peoples installations can be handled differently according to how they got things set up. So by doing this you ensure that the game doesn’t have to read some from Sparta and other files from rome ~ that is where the game can get confused I think.

Obviously when we make a mod we just add the stuff we changed, then the game should read all the other stuff from rome data, otherwise the mod would be very large indeed.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

GM207's Avatar Decanus

With respect to your suggestion, I done what I could to make the game more exiting and have lots of large army battles, if you do things to keep populations down and money tight then you just get small battles and the ai rarely upgrades to stronger units etc.

For the install; you have an install of Sparta with a Sparta folder, so copy the main data folder and paste it over the top of the Sparta data folder, then paste the Sparta folder over the top of that. It just means that all files are present in case the game gets confused as it can do with modfoldered mods. I mean e.g. I had to copy the symbols and the new engine skins from Sparta into the main data folder of rome for them to show up in game, yet most people don’t have to do that. It doesn’t make any sense I know but I think peoples installations can be handled differently according to how they got things set up. So by doing this you ensure that the game doesn’t have to read some from Sparta and other files from rome ~ that is where the game can get confused I think.

Obviously when we make a mod we just add the stuff we changed, then the game should read all the other stuff from rome data, otherwise the mod would be very large indeed.
    Can I just delete the original data file, and replace it with the Sparta Data file, would that work too?

No the whole point is that mods only have a small part of the data needed for the game. Really it should work anyway unless you have other mods installed which may contradict the files, or have had. So always make sure you have a clean copy of rome to install on.

ensure you have the correct shotcut with this at in it;

"C:\Users\richard\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err -nm -mod:Sparta

if so then you should get an error message that will tell you the problem.

Im trying to install it to steam RTW but its not working it crashes when i try to load the game can any1 help it gets 3 quaters into loading and just crashes

There is a certain way to get mods running with steam but I have not done this, so perhaps check out other mods which have e.g. rs2 and find a solution there.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'm pretty sure there's a Steam tutorial around here somewhere, but don't know where exactly, though. Sorry we can't help you, I don't use Steam and I don't know if anyone else on our team does.

There is a problem with the shield displayed between Rome and Magna Grecia...they are switched on the campaign map screen.
    Is there fix for this?

There is a problem with the shield displayed between Rome and Magna Grecia...they are switched on the campaign map screen.
    Is there fix for this?
    Yes, that was fixed just after the release, see the op of the release thread.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=313931

Yes, that was fixed just after the release, see the op of the release thread.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=313931
    Ahh I see that at the bottom of the page.
    Question - which folder do those two swap files go into?

Open the zip and it will have the symbols already in their folders, as far as I can recall you just copy the files in the zip and paste them into the Sparta 'data' folder and overwrite the existing ones, that’s it.

Open the zip and it will have the symbols already in their folders, as far as I can recall you just copy the files in the zip and paste them into the Sparta 'data' folder and overwrite the existing ones, that’s it.
    Hello again, Thank you for the advice.
    I'm not sure how to post a screen shot here... but let me explain what I see.
    Not knowing where to place the files, I did a search for the two named files in your download zip file - they are [symbols128_brutii, and symbol128_senate].
    The search found them in Sparta\Data\Loading_ Screen\Symbols. That's where all of the symbol128_xxx files are.
    SO, I did that and nothing different happened because the "Imperial Campaign loading screen" was correct all along...but the campaign game map still showed the two symbols switched "in game".
    Going to a different approach, I renamed each file manually - then what happened was the Load Screen was now wrong - but the campaign game screen also still had them reversed.
    I switched them back, and now the game once again has the loading imperial campaign screen correct... but the in-game campaign screen still shows the two symbols switched...which is where I started.

So I believe that the symbol128_xxx files are not the symbols that show up "in-game" on the bottom right of the screen. That is where the problem lies...it must be in another .tga file somewhere, but those all appear to be other than symbol128_xxx files.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Bwisher; December 09, 2010 at 09:01 AM.

I see, so the 128’s are ok, so you should check the 48’s and 24’s here;

….\Rome - Total War\SPARTA\Data\menu\symbols

Then swap the symbols over there, I thought I had done that in the zip.

FYI the 128 symbols show on the loading screen as the faction symbol when going into a custom map battle.

I see, so the 128’s are ok, so you should check the 48’s and 24’s here;

….\Rome - Total War\SPARTA\Data\menu\symbols

Then swap the symbols over there, I thought I had done that in the zip.

FYI the 128 symbols show on the loading screen as the faction symbol when going into a custom map battle.
    Well, I tried switching the above files - that didn't work either.
    After looking at the modding tutorials I think the problem lies here:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...-faction-icons

This is beyond my capability to fix.
    Any chance the Sparta Team will address this?

Hi i try to install but says can't make Uninstall.$$A file, what do i do?
    Last edited by Casper5993; December 13, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
    There is no enemy, there is no victory, Only boys who lost their lives. ANZAC pride .

Bwisher

Ah I see it’s the interface files I forgot to change. I have swapped them over ~ see the attachment for a zip with the two relevant files in. just copy the two images and paste them here…

…Rome - Total War\SPARTA\Data\UI\ROMAN\INTERFACE

Tell me if that works ok and I will post them on the release thread.

thanks!

Casper5993

I have no idea I never heard of such a problem, but Sparta should not want anything uninstalled.

Bwisher

Ah I see it’s the interface files I forgot to change. I have swapped them over ~ see the attachment for a zip with the two relevant files in. just copy the two images and paste them here…

…Rome - Total War\SPARTA\Data\UI\ROMAN\INTERFACE

Tell me if that works ok and I will post them on the release thread.

thanks!

Casper5993

I have no idea I never heard of such a problem, but Sparta should not want anything uninstalled.
    it doesnt want anythink uninstalled, is says that it(STW) cant make the Uninstall.$$A file, which im guessing you need to uninstall STW, and since it cant make the file STW wont install
    There is no enemy, there is no victory, Only boys who lost their lives. ANZAC pride .

Try the zip version then ~ it doesn’t need installing you just drag n drop it into rome.