Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheild Wall?

Default Sheild Wall?

I was having a look at the readme for 4.0 and notticed that Romans will be gaining shield wall ability, is this like the sheild wall from BI? Can you please give an explanation of what this does, thanks.

Its a formations that replaces the standard loose formation for Heavy Roman Infantry units. It allows them a TIGHTER formation that when tretched out can withstand a heavy assault. It is useful against barbarians. Its similar to BI's but without the Bug that it has.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Who do we thank for this excellent sounding contribution?

Me? lol
    Lt_1956

Thanks LT, that sounds very interesting. Looking forward to 4.0 even more than I was before.

Well I didn't know thaaat! don't shout at me! I was just wondering if you'd had assistance from another coder that's all!!!

Of course it makes it easier for me, because I can just say thank you Lt1956!

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

Will the barbarians have it too or did they start using it during the dark and middle ages? Like the new addition though.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Does this tight formation offer any benefits against arrow fire?
    And will the sound files be altered so that the troops say "tight formation" for the new formation, and "standard formation" for going back to normal formation?
    In all honesty it sounds more historically accurate that roman troops used this in the earlier period than barbarians around the time of the fall of rome...

The sounds actually say "form shield wall" ;-)

As for the formation there may be some advantage to missile fire because of the closer formation, but I would use it only for defense, as too tight a formation isnt always good. Thast why the Romans adopted their stand line with 3 feet around each soldier, it add flexability.

To UK, Who shouted at you?
    Lt_1956

wow, great news !!
    A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship! But it is not this day! This day, we fight!

No no I didn't mean someone shouted at me, I was kidding!

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956
    Its a formations that replaces the standard loose formation for Heavy Roman Infantry units. It allows them a TIGHTER formation that when tretched out can withstand a heavy assault. It is useful against barbarians. Its similar to BI's but without the Bug that it has.

Lt

Is this similer to formation they used to repel cavalry? Simler to this;

No I wihs it was, look at the pictures for 4.0 and you will see the shield wall its basically a tighter formation not to allow one through the gaps.
    Lt_1956

Do they move into the formation quickly, or is it like the iffy testudo from Vanilla where it takes them about an hour to get into position?

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

Ave.

It looks good, sounds usefull, but on the picts i seen only 2 line for this formation. Will it be possible to use shield wall in more than just 2 lines?

----------------------------
    Age quod agis
    ----------------------------

Would it be possible, to add the Shield Wall formation to my verison of the game, just the shield wall? I ask this because i already have the X3 mod installed, and i dont want to reinstall my game just for this mod, no offense to you guys, from what ive seen this mod looks great.

i will not release this as my own mod or nothing, i just want to add this to my copy of the game, so would this be possible?

Is this formation just for the Romans or will other sides have it? If other sides get it, please give us a Germanic warband, like the Gothic cavalry but without mounts. I know this sounds like a whinging plea but I've wanted a *proper* shield wall since I got the game. Also why not give it to the Greek hoplites instead of phalanx?
    Last edited by AmbrosiusAurelianus; September 06, 2005 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Hasty typing errors lol

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie
    Is this similer to formation they used to repel cavalry? Simler to this;

To me, it's possible but can only be done by animation editor expert. For example, someone would edit front formations to have lower of plium rebelling, while guy on back row of formations would stand up and throw pilum against cavalry, with similar concept of how hoplite hold phalanx when each of persons hold spear/pike at different angle. Heck, we should talk with Sig. about making a completely new animations of these kind of formations, and at the same time, he will also need an expert of coder to work with him to get this new unqiue formations successed!

Eagle out...

Lol, anyone noticed when a hoplite/pikemen is in gaurd mode without phalanx, it demonstates a very simalar effect to the shield wall in the pic? The pikemen are even tighter than the romans if you havent noticed.

I just saw the two pictures of the shield wall and let me say they look like the real deal nice improvement on the game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast