Thread: How to improve a RTW unit model via 3dsmax in few steps

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

Default How to improve a RTW unit model via 3dsmax in few steps

HOW TO IMPROVE A RTW UNIT MODEL IN FEW STEPS IN 3DS MAX

Very easy tutorial who will help you improve a Rtw unit, making it better as detail than vanilla version. No need of particular basic skills to do this. Let's start:

STEP 1:

In 3ds max click on RTW Import/Export and import a RTW model. In this case i loaded the "barb_screeching_woman_high.cas model. Once loaded, i hint you to eliminate all the weapons and shields from the model.. (these two things can be improved in lately) and erase the material from the body, to see in a better way the improvements. Now click with mouse somewhere on top view window (not selecting any part of the model) and press F3 to see texture in the view. Do the same process for Top view and left one

Here's how the model look like by default (watch particulary front view and perspective one):

STEP 2:

Right click on the body of soldier, click on "convert to editable poly". Now right click again on the model and select "NURBS toggle mode"

The model now is like this (see front and perspective view)

as u can well see, the model looks different from the previous one

STEP 3

(optional)
    If you want to improve better the new model, left click on model, go to modifiers and search for "relax"... now you can play to edit the "relax value" and " "iterations" if the values you want (obviously checking the modifications in real time)

Once done reconvert the model as editable mesh and attach the material pressing M

Here how it looks like the improved model with his own skin. (watch front and perspective view again)..

do you see how nice is it now?
    Last edited by Maяcel; March 04, 2010 at 04:54 AM.

Product Designer

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to improve a RTW unit model via 3dsmax in few steps

very nice indeed, only problem is polycount, as this increases it quite a lot. but it looks great for making a highpoly lod, or just increasing detail on certain parts.
    DESARC92 / Product Design
    Once known as MarcelP | Product Designer | Under the Patronage of Legio
    Marcel's Modder's Resources | Tutorials | The Graphics Workshop

from my tests in RTW, games doenst suffer the increase

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by davide.cool View Post
    from my tests in RTW, games doenst suffer the increase
    depends on your computer. If you have a low end one, it will

I have a radeon 9800 pro dated 2002 and Athlon 2800 and game doenst lag. With new modifications, model is sized 217kb instead of 70 and something. I tried 1 megabyte models and game doesnt lag anyway here

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

looks good

can you post a comparison pic from ingame?
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

they do look better
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

indeed
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™