Thread: Unit Tech Tree - or lack of...

Default Unit Tech Tree - or lack of...

I recently downloaded this mod after trying to find a decent greek themed mod. I have to say I'm impressed. I like the models and over-all appearance of the mod and I also like the fact that it seems (to me at least) to focus on fun rather than all our accuracey. I like that, it's very refreshing.

However I noticed that as soon as I started the game as Sparta (I know, cliche) I could pretty much build the full unit tree. This is because the lowest level of barracks enables pretty much every unit in the infantry tree. This raises the question, where is the incentive to purchase the higher tech level buildings? Being able to build such powerful units early on made it very easy to stroll through the rest of Greece, conquering as I went and being able to retrain all damaged units at each city I stopped at.

Is this a deliberate feature of the mod or just an oversight?

Aside from this, fantastic mod and keep up the good work

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Default Re: Unit Tech Tree - or lack of...

Quote Originally Posted by onlyonepinman View Post
    I recently downloaded this mod after trying to find a decent greek themed mod. I have to say I'm impressed. I like the models and over-all appearance of the mod and I also like the fact that it seems (to me at least) to focus on fun rather than all our accuracey. I like that, it's very refreshing.
    that was our aim (when i say our i mean Quetzaldoodledoo idea )
    However I noticed that as soon as I started the game as Sparta (I know, cliche) I could pretty much build the full unit tree. This is because the lowest level of barracks enables pretty much every unit in the infantry tree. This raises the question, where is the incentive to purchase the higher tech level buildings? Being able to build such powerful units early on made it very easy to stroll through the rest of Greece, conquering as I went and being able to retrain all damaged units at each city I stopped at.

Is this a deliberate feature of the mod or just an oversight?
    it is a deliberate feature of the same guy Quetzalcoatl )who is our wonderful mod leader) who wanted to make a mod that will have strong battles from the start, cause until you have the money to create the strongest military building (or any other thing like streets, mines etc) would make the game slow. in case people want to have many turns for them to be built, just change them from the specific text files for buildings/ units
    Aside from this, fantastic mod and keep up the good work
    thank you
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

You get extra experience points with the highest build, which will be crucial against post marian romans for example. The reason why I gave a full build roster is because at no time would nations have only e.g. militia as recruitable, Sparta has the units that would have been available to it at the time as do all the rest. each time you build a higher armoury your units will be much stranger! so let the AI get to that point at least.

The mod was mainly focussed on fun and different fighting styles of the cultures available, it is impossible to get complete historical accuracy imho, I also tried to represent the situation in Greece during this period ~ as the game is based around Sparta.

Hint…

Play by Spartan gameplay rules! don’t just build loads of kings guard ~ they are not supposed to be buildable, it was an oversight on my part. It is better if you remove them or just don’t recruit them.

Equally once you got a few regions just sit there and maybe take a few colonies here n there rather than try to take everything, this will give the other factions a chance to get to their higher build and you will get a harder game!

The rome AI just aint that good unless you give it a chance to build.

Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    You get extra experience points with the highest build
    I hadn't noticed that. It doesn't say on the descriptions of units that they are "experience n"

each time you build a higher armoury your units will be much stranger!
    why do they grow horns and tails or something...?

Take a look at the EDB [buildings file] then you will see that armouries make units far stronger with each build, enough that a weaker army can beat a stronger one if it has been retrained in a settlement with a higher armoury.

try also not being disrespectful ~ or appearing as such.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

Take a look at the EDB [buildings file] then you will see that armouries make units far stronger with each build, enough that a weaker army can beat a stronger one if it has been retrained in a settlement with a higher armoury.
    Yes, but do the barracks themselves create more experienced units? Only the royal barracks improves the experience of Spartiates for example. I understand how armouries work, I was asking about barracks. The only incentive to build the increasing tech level for barracks is that eventually, when you get to the highest tier, some of the units trained there will have increased experience.

try also not being disrespectful ~ or appearing as such.
    I'm not entirely sure where this came from.

The only incentive to build the increasing tech level for barracks is that eventually, when you get to the highest tier, some of the units trained there will have increased experience.
    Reason enough if you are up against post marian romans, later macedons and Persians, or if you are playing as a weaker state. I gave the player and AI plenty of money so you may as well build them, equally some factions do get better units. When playing as Sparta you cant really get any better than spartiates, they are the best unit in the game, so barracks cant really improve them.

I will add some Spartan and Persian pike units for a later build in a small update.

I'm not entirely sure where this came from.
    You said; "why do they grow horns and tails or something...?" Which sounds like you are mocking, if you had added a smiley of some kind then I would have took it as a joke, but as you didnt i took it as disrespectful. however your reply shows that you didnt mean it that way and i can only go by what i see.