Thread: Task Force 11 - A Roman AAR

gaius_caesar's Avatar Decanus

Default Task Force 11 - A Roman AAR

Now that 5.9.1 is out, I figure it's time for another epic journey.... with the might of the Roman Empire. It may sound similar to something but it's just for fun.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"I am a soldier of the Roman Republic. I was born a soldier and I shall die as one. I wasn't built to be prisoner.

"It all began during the summer of 280BC. It was one of those days that you think that something bad is gonna happen... At least its just a feeling, or so it would seem. There was once a story about a Possible Epirote Invasion. But where? One of the Diplomats once told me that Peace talks with the Epirotes were useless and an attack on the Roman Cities was Imminent."

"And then it happened. It was the summer of 280 BC when the Epirotes finally attacked the Roman Republic. It was a day which we will live in Infamy. The Roman Dictator, Flavius Julius spoke to the people. He said in his speech:

"It is the summer of 280BC. The Roman Republic was suddenly attack by the armed forces of the city-state of Epirus. Because of this cowardly attack, I ask that the senate declare a state of WAR."

"Well, it was obvious that we were going to war against those Greeks."

"It was a sad day for the Republic, for the Roman Consul Aulus Pompeius was killed defending Capua."

"An Immediate Invasion force was created to retake Capua from the Greeks. I once thought that this was a suicide mission. It was risky but it's bold and the Roman Nation needed a morale booster. It was in the winter of 280BC that the invasion force has laid siege on Capua.

That will conclude the 1st Part. I haven't finished uploading the shots yet so I'll continue it after uploading.

Default Re: Task Force 11 - A Roman AAR

Looking good.

-

now for part 2 of chapter 1

"Those Epirotes will pay with their lives. My home town of Capua will be retaken. Task Force 1 is now set to take on the forces of King Phyrrus. I don't even know if he deserves that title. Before we can attack, a force of 1031 Greeks arrive to aid their worthless king. Let's see if they can take on a fully experienced ROMAN army in the open field. We are sure enough that King Phyrrus himself will join the fight. Gods! I hate calling him KING! I can assure that his force of 458 men won't be enough to stop us."

"We were ready to take on this "GREEK" army. These Kido Butai won't stand a chance against us!"

"As I thought. These "men" are only good at ambush tactics and when the enemy is not ready."

"Now what? They can't defend themselves against a cavalry charge?! What's the point of having spears!"

"This is for ATHENA! Die you filthy dogs!"

"Where do you think you are going you greek?! Get the **** back here!"

"Finally, the worthless King arrives! Now to get my revenge!"

"From here I can here the General crying because of his rage"

"DIE! DIE! DIE!"

"That was for ATHENA you filthy greek!"

"That was for ATHENA! Now you know what it feels to face the wrath of the ROMAN Fist!"

"Everything change here in Capua. But the old home house looks the same, as I step down from the Carriage. But no one to meet me. Not my father or my mother. Down the road and look, the dead lie weary. Not of gold and no lips like cherry. ATHENA, my love. Rest now. I will soon be with you after this. Wait for me and watch over me...."[/SPOILER]

And so ends the bloody business of the day... That's part 2 of chapter 1.
    [/SPOILER]
    Last edited by gaius_caesar; August 01, 2017 at 12:46 PM.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Epic victory and Good aar but how does flavius know its 280 years before christ?
    Last edited by The Hedge Knight; December 16, 2009 at 01:11 PM.

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

Cool. I will be following this one.

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

Looks like a start to an interesting AAR..

Hate to be a pedant, but isn't the Roman equivalent to Athena Minerva or something? Seems odd that a Roman soldier with such an inveterate hatred of Greeks would invoke a Greek goddess in the heat of battle.

@Josst It's for the drama only. I just figured it may sound a bit more dramatic

@Quirinal Let's just say it is an illegitimate Love story... she has nothing to do with the greek goddess. It's just that I got the inspiration from my classmate of the same name...

Hello again guys in another episode of Task Force 11! There was a bit of delay because of technical reasons but its all over now... now on with the story! BTW, I change some things in the plot...

Chapter 2: The Fields of Capua, The debut of Task Force 11

"It has been a year since the Attack on my hometown of Capua. I will never forgive those greeks for what they have done. I have lost the only person that I have ever considered as my family. I will avenge her one day and bring the Greeks down on their knees."

*4 Years Later*

"One afternoon during the Year 275BC I was summoned to the Consular Palace by the Roman Dictator himself"

"You, soldier. What is your name?" The Dictator asked as I entered the Consular chambers.

"Me sir?" I replied to him. "My name is Tiberius Maxentius from the town of Capua.."

The Dictator stood up and went to the Planning table. He then said to me "One of my Generals told me that you were part of the Hastati Volunteers during the Capuan Takeover of 279BC"

I replied "Yes Sir. I was."

He then told me "I was amazed that there is still one left Alive. Do you want to avenge your hometown of Capua?"

"I replied "Of Course Sir. However it would depend on your orders sir."

He then took a scroll and began to write something. Then asked me one final question "Where do your Loyalties lie?"

I answered "To the Republic Sir."

When he has finished writing in the Paper, he answered back "No my fiend. To the EMPIRE. Do I get myself clear?"

"Yes, Emperor." was my final answer..

"Very well then" he said, "You have been promoted to General and take this to the Army Barracks. Tell General Mus "Execute War Plan Green and Blue. Congratulations. I am appointing you Commander of Task Force 11. I believe you will feel at home with them as they are all volunteers of Capua."

"After meeting with the men of Task Force 11, I was called by General Mus into his army tent. When I arrive, He asked me "What should we do here?" He then showed me 2 Towns controlled by the Rebellion"

"Croton"

"and Messana."

"Then I remembered the worthless Epirote King, Phyrrus. I took another drawing of a map from underneath the pile of papers and told the General, "We should strike here." General Mus then said to me, "No, Dear Boy. Tarentum is not our target yet. We must commence this plan according to its order. We must go by the book here. I am authorizing you to attack one of the two cities that I have shown you. Think wisely, for it may be your last."

"I then saluted him and went out of the tent. Clearly enough, he doesn't like anyone who is willing to do a revolutionary move because like any other revolutionary move, it would just scare the living **** out of the establishment."

"It was the Year 274BC. A runner was running towards me. I told him to catch his breath first. After a quick break, He told me his message. He told me he was sent by the Roman Dictator, Flavius Julius, to tell me that the town of Capua has been besieged once again. Then a flashback came unto me. I remembered "HER". I promised myself that I will not let anyone destroy of what remains of her memory. I then said to the runner, "Tell his Excellency that I will take care of it." The runner saluted me and said, "Hail Caesar!"

"I then got on my horse and ran towards the army barracks. I was thinking that we should attack the besiegers immediately. But, I also thought that if we attack them without authorization from the Emperor, it might mean trouble for me and the men. I arrived at the Barracks to see that the men were already armed. One of the soldiers told me, "General, I am not going to stay here and see my hometown be lost again. With all due respect sir, we are going there with or without you." What the man said speaks to me. He is right. Then I told him, "You. I am assigning you Captain of the Hastati Volunteers." Then I entered the Command tent and told my Captains, "Now! We march now!" Then the centurions blew the warhorns. I ordered the men to march towards Capua. 6 Months later, we arrived at the Capuan Fields and engaged the Rebellion under the command of Titus Nobilior, my cousin from my mother's side."

"The army formed up. Missile troops in front, The Hastati in the 2nd line, the Princeps on the 3rd line, the Triarii on the 4th line and the archers and cavalry on the 5th Line."

"What is this? The Blue Eagle Division is our enemy? What is going on here? They used to be my heroes."

"I figured that it doesn't matter now whoever we are facing. As long they are attacking Capua, They are our enemy. As soon as the enemy forces were in range, I ordered the fire a will command to the Skirmishers."

"I called one of my officers and told him, "Tell the men to hold the line". I then told my cavalry, Let's go men!"

"For ATHENA!"

"I am so sorry cousin, but this is what you get for trying to destroy Capua."

"It seemed that the men did quite an excellent job fending of the rebellious Blue Eagles. I didn't expect them to easily push back a veteran army. I guess this is what you call a "Volunteer's Heart"."

"Damn it men! You deserve these bottles of wine that I am going to give you! VICTORY!"

"After that battle, I thanked the goddess Minerva for guiding me and my mean in this battle. I pray that she bless the men who have died honorably."

"The Roman Emperor, Flavius Julius summoned me in the Command Tent after the successful battle. He asked me, "After 2 years of training, you believe that a ROMAN army that cost 500,000 Denarii to maintain is there for your personal use? Who gave you permission to move out of the capital?" I then answered. "No sir. I was just trying to keep my edge and protect the empire." He then asked me, "And when you engaged the Blue Eagle Division just now, what did you think that was? Honing your skills as a General? That's not a Textbook move, Tiberius. That was a stunt! Then I told him, "Sir, How can that be when you did the exact same thing when you were commanding the Red Warrior Division? He then angrily replied, "Don't get cute with me General! Then I answered, "I understand sir. But I was just doing it to protect an Imperial town and to keep the Army Morale Up Sir. He then told me, "That is Bull****, General Maxentius! But it is very good Bull****." He then smiled at me after that. I never thought in my life that I was going to hear the Emperor talk that way."

"He then told me that I execute Imperial Order 10. The Invasion of Sicilia."

It was fun writing this Chapter! Hope Everyone enjoys as well! Should have been better though if I could put some music themes unto it...
    Last edited by gaius_caesar; December 26, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Nice update.

awesome keep it up.

-Billy Graham

Welcome everyone in another episode of Task Force 11! Let's get this party started!

Chapter 3: Task Force 11 vs. The Rebellion Leader

"I was walking around camp today. I noticed that the men were not very happy with this mission. And who can blame them. If I were still a Legionary, I'd also be distraught with these task. We weren't suppose to be here besieging a rebel town. We'd rather go and invade the greek homelands instead. But 274BC is not as great as it was thought to be. One of the men approached me and said, "Sir It's been a long year. Can't we just besiege the town next year and just take a break now?" Of course, I know what he feels. I then called my men and told them, "Men, we will postpone this siege and wait for next year. Let's just for the winter and continue the attack on spring." The men were delighted with the news. Of course, they should be because it may be the last winter they would have so they should be given a chance to enjoy it."

"273BC. Now that everyone is well and rested. I figured that this year is probably the year something good is going to happen. While I was eating on my tent, one of the emperor's runners came and was looking for me. He told me, "Ave General. The Emperor has ordered me to give this to you." He then gave me a scroll signed by the emperor himself. It states that:"

"General Maxentius. By order of me, the Emperor of the ROMAN EMPIRE, I want you and Task Force 11 to attack the town of Croton, the hometown of the Rebel Leader Kaeso Rupilius. This is an assignment that shall not be mentioned and reported to the senate. Another task force is being organized to take Messana."

"That will be all. Signed Flavius Julius, ROMAN Emperor"

""Hail Caesar" was my answer to him and I gave him some denarii for his journey back to the Imperial Capital. A few moments later, I went out of the tent and called the men. I told them, "Men, We are going to cancel this siege.". The men were surprisingly happy about this. All of them were yelling, "Croton! Attack Croton!" That was a bit of a surprise. I then told them, "You men took the words out of my mouth. Captain, signal the ships to prepare for an immediate departure." The captain then got on is horse and rode towards the ships..."

Unfortunately, I will have to cut this chapter to 2. I'll continue this after a few hours..."

Interesting development, how curious.

Now for part 2 of chapter 3

Chapter 3 : Task Force 11 vs. The Rebellion Leader

"Immediately, we proceeded to lift the siege and sailed for Croton. I was wondering, while on the ships, why I feel so happy when I go back to Italy. It was probably because of the shade of the leaf trees. My Father did tell me, "Son, in the SHADE OF THE LEAF TREES, ITALY CAN NEVER BE CONQUERED." I was beginning to believe him."

"We arrived at the province of Bruttium 2 weeks later and ahead we can already see Croton. While I was in the command tent planning for the attack, one of my captains entered and reported, "Ave General. We have just received a complete overview of the soldiers garrisoned in Croton. Apparently, It consist of 2 Hastati recruits which have just been recruited by the Blue Eagle Division. We also discovered a velite group of 10 men and 1 cohort of Samnite spearmen." He then gave me the scroll. I told him, "Very good captain. You may leave." He then replied, "Hail Caesar." and left the tent."

"It looks like winter has crept on us this year. It has been 4 months since we laid siege on Croton. I did of course try to have terms with the Rebel Leader but as I figured, He was "A Stubborn Old Man". What I won't forget is what he said to me before we parted ways. He told me in a mild voice, "It is times like these that people like you should be reminded who we truly are. That we will not give up or give in.". I really admire such stubborn attitudes. While I was roaming around camp, A messenger arrived from Rome. He spoke to me, "Ave General. News have just arrived that the Emperor has finally convinced the Gallic Tribes to accept the ceasefire proposal.". I then thanked him for the wonderful news. It looks like things are going well this year. But I knew deep inside that it was that same manipulating trait of the Emperor that influenced the ceasefire. Probably the same thing he did to me when he made me General."

"After completion of the siege machines, I immediately ordered the siege to commence. It was Task Force 11 (1762 men including me) against the Rebel Alliance Leader (262 men including himself)."

"We began the siege as soon as the men were all armed up and organized. It was such a nice weather. The cold breeze of the wind was blowing through my face. The sun was behind the clouds and it was such a nice and warm feeling to be IN THE SHADE OF THE LEAF TREES."

"I was watching the sea when I suddenly heard a loud bang coming from the enemy gates. Looks like the men were already starting to destroy the gates."

"The men then began to cheer as I marched along side them. I asked them, "Is this the first time you ever saw a General at the frontline?" A laughter followed afterwards."

"The plan was simple. Breach the town. Afterwards, Divide and Conquer."

"It looks like the new recruits from Capua are having a hard time taking on the Blue Eagle Hastatis."

"It looks like the old man, Kaeso Rupilius, and the samnite spearmen have decided to help the Blue Eagle Hastati."

"I feel that the raw recruits need some motivation and help so I ordered my guards, "Men, Let's move it!"

"It was such a challenging experience facing the Rebel Leader. It seems he was not bluffing when he told me he still has some fight left in him."

"Well so much for the "still has some fight left in him" part."

"Charge!"

"For ATHENA!"

"ECHO SLAM!"

"Although he was an enemy, he will be remembered for being a worthy enemy and for dying as how a true ROMAN should die."

"For ATHENA!"

"Victory! Another victory for the boys back home!"

"We have 3 options for the town of Croton"

"Occupy and hope we are accepted."

"Enslave and reduce the population"

"Kill and show no leniency...."

That is the end for Chapter 3. I will leave it to you guys whether I Occupy, Enslave or Exterminate the town of Croton. Tell me what I should do. The fate of Croton is in the hands of the readers. HAHA!
    Last edited by gaius_caesar; January 01, 2010 at 08:03 AM.

Kill them all!!! That will show them to rebel from rome!!!

-Billy Graham

Enslave them. Rome needs slaves to be able to become truly great.

ok now for chapter 4. It took A long time because of our Preliminary exams...

Chapter 4: Tears of Capua: The 2nd Battle of the Fields of Capua

"272BC. The Civil War was finally over. The Rebellion and the Empire have finally settled their differences for now and have signed a "momentary" ceasefire. Looks like they rebels accepted SLAVERY pretty well..."

"Ambracia, the home of that wretched Greek King! After I take down your Allies in Italy, I'm coming after you."

"The Winter of 271BC. While I was at my house at Croton, The Emperor's messenger came and gave me a letter. I opened the letter and read the news. "The other Gallic Tribes have accepted us an Alliance. Along with these terms, we were to have a ceasefire with the Epirotes and their Allies." I Immediately threw the letter to the fireplace. What was the Emperor thinking? It was at this point that I was beginning to think that the Emperor might be losing his mind or something."

"The Spring of 272BC. I knew that these Greeks would never have a ceasefire with us ROMANS. Since we broke the ceasefire with the Epirotes, The Gallic Tribes also broke our Alliance. Oh well. As expected of a BARBARIAN, they never keep their word. They offer you sweets and wines and then throw you on the streets like a dead weasel."

"Finally, a chance to attack Ambracia has risen again."

"I figure we should end the Greek Sphere of Influence at Italy first. We should take Tarentum and make it as our foothold and Fortress to start the invasion of the Greek Homeland."

"The Winter of 269BC. As I was eating my Morning Meal, one of the captains came running to my house. "Sir! Our Hometown is besieged again!". I suddenly felt this strange feeling of killing someone. "What did you just say?". :Sir, the Hometown has been besieged again by the Greeks sir.". "Tell the men to marshall up. We go to war once again!"."

"Form Up! Move out! Form Out! Move OUT!"

"I wonder how they feel when being attacked by an enemy of greater numbers. Attacking defenseless Capua! You GREEKS are sick! What is wrong with you! We Romans once said, "Payback is a Concubine!" And I don't even know what that meant. It looks like Syracuse and Pergamon have just joined the Unofficial "2nd Greco-Romano War". To make things worse, the Retired General Mus joins the battle."

"We wasted no time and move to attack. As I have promised HER, I will never let anyone destroy of what remains of HER memory."

"Surprise!"

"Loose!"

"Loose!"

"Charge!"

"The fight goes on!"

"and on...

"And on... until..."

"Die you GREEK!"

"Hunt Them Down! Kill them ALL!"

"I then noticed that one of the GREEK soldiers were still alive. I got down from my horse and went towards him. He was cowering away and I don't blame him. I don't know if he understands me but I told him to get up and offered my hand. Not literally but I helped him stand up and gave him his Syracusan Shield. "Go back to Syracuse and tell her "The Empire does not wish to harm a fellow dweller of ITALY. Tell them not to interfere in the WAR businesses of the Empire anymore..."" Then he bowed down and ran like a little kid. One of my guards was about to throw his Spear when I said "No, Let him go."

"We returned home to Capua to ReArm and ReSupply first before carrying out the "ENDGAME AT ITALY" Campaign. This campaign will be TASK FORCE 11's final mission in ITALY before leaving the SHADE OF THE LEAF TREES..."

"END GAME AT ITALY" nice

-Billy Graham