Thread: Conquering Varna and helping captured Byzantine prince is really hard

Darth Pooh's Avatar Civis

Default Conquering Varna and helping captured Byzantine prince is really hard

Hello everybody,
    first I wanna say how much I enjoy this mod - it´s brilliant!!! I like it is challenging and realistic without turning the game into a battle-fest (like some other mods do). I´m playing as Kiev and I´ve accepted the mission to free Byzantine prince from Varna. I got a decent army and headed for Varna. The city was only lightly guarded but during the siege - bam - Byzantine superior units just massacred my militias. It was the first MTW2 battle I´ve lost in weeks (maybe months) Has anybody managed to capture the city and free the prince? What tactics did you use?
    Jesus loves you. Everyone else thinks you're a/an (insert a censored word ).

Default Re: Conquering Varna and helping captured Byzantine prince is really hard

yes i had to try twice to make this work, its a tough battle to be sure.

First, siege the city and wait for sally with any luck they will sally before any reinforcements attack. Initially i used my standard anti sally strategy which is pull back line up your guys and basically wait for enemy to approach and fight it like a field battle, well that didnt work.

but here is what did, charge all your infantry forward and bottle neck them at the gate, basically reverse siege. Try to make sure that you let enough of them out to form a nice circle of engagement, dont push to early or to hard otherwise they will end up back behind the gate and your guys will end up trying to push through, which will give them the advantage. If you can try to leave some open space on one side for your druzina to charge if you can. And use fire arrows when you see their morale start to dampen, you will hit your own guys so do this only when moral starts to get low not right off the bat.

Default Re: Conquering Varna and helping captured Byzantine prince is really hard

Thank you
    I´m going to play Rusichi today so I´ll give your tactics a try.

I did it! Although many a brave warrior found his deathbed in the streets of Varna, my banners brought sweet freedom to captured Andronicos. The reward was even sweeter
    Now I encountered another historical mission - it´s a campaign of Knyaz Igor against the Cumans. Igor´s army appeared near the rebel town of ... (I don´t recall) and there´s a spy apparently waiting for me to cut through near Crimean peninsula. Is my only goal to march to this position or am I supposed to take some settlements? Thanks for any reply.

The goal is to break the Cumans, i found that to be a fairly subjective term. But basically taking 2 or 3 of their western most cities should do it.

Keep in mind however that you will not be ablle to keep these cities for long as public order will get to low, so do the mission only if you need the i believe its 50000 reward. If your financial situation is good, and you are low on troops as i imagine you are, i would then advise to forgo the mission and put that army to use conquering land you can actually keep.

Cheers.

Thank you again
    I won´t do this mission then, ´cause I´m fairly rich Knyaz and about to start conquering some Russian provinces at last