Thread: Help please

achwell's Avatar Biarchus

Default Help please

Hi,

I have a problem i did have MTWII kingdoms with mods installed on my C- drive then i copy the Sega MTW folder to my D- drive and uninstalled MTW II and kingdoms from my C-drive, but when i uninstalled the game from my C-Drive it also deleted my desk top icons.
    Is there somme way to get them back or to fix it??? problem is if installed a mod it uses the kingdoms.exe icons from Kingdoms, i wanted to instal the Rusichi mod and i cant play it becose it cant find the Kingdoms icon.

Thx

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Help please

Do you know how to use regedit?

If you want it on D:, you need to install it on D: becuase right all 30+ registry entries are pointing to your C: install.

Hi irishron

So this would meen to un instal the games and al my mods and reinstal it on D?

This is not DOS where you can move to suit. I used to it with a floppy drive and no harddrive.

In Windows and Windows Installers, there is a specific path to install a program and all its goodies.

For Medieval II Total War the default is Crogram Files\Sega unless you in that screen for the path tell it to install in something like D:Games. Windows uses registry keys to keep track of everything that happens on your harddrive. If it's not where you installed it, the keys won't read it and you're not playing. I've been dealing with this since 3.1. Because of all this extra overhead is how you can play the game, talk to your buddies online, listen to music at the same time.

To keep it simple is if you want a program on D:, in Windows you have to install it on D:. I have not found a program to move a program with all the regkeys to a new location. And yes you will have to unistall it off C: to install it on D:.

Ok thanks mate
    ill un instal the everything on D MTW II with mods is about 40 gig lol
    I got 1 MTWII Kingdoms and 5 modfoldered mods about 40 gig i wil reinstal everything back on D

ok i have a question
    what patches do i need for MTW II and kingdoms ? and what patches do i need for MTW II gold edition?

If you have Gold all you need is the Kingdoms 1.05 patch.

Good luck.

hi mate,

Do i need to use CC cleaner? or just reinstal?

Use the Ccleaner just to be safe. It will get rid of the entries.

Hi mate

Just one more question , if i use MTW II and Kingdoms what patches do i have to instal?

Thx

Install the Medieval2 disc. Then install the Kingdoms disc. The Kingdoms disc will patch Medieval2. One less thing for you to do. Then download and install Kingdoms 1.05 patch. And then you're ready to go.

Hi mate,

I installed the MTW II with patches
    Strange thing is i got 1 Harddrive and devided in 2, C drive 200 gig and D drive 300 gig but for somme reason i cant instal the game to D drive it automatically puts it in C drive?? and it installed the game like this: C / programs/Sega/ and then the whole game (with a empty file medieval totalwar II) , and not C/ programs /Sega/ medieval totalwar II/ and then the game?.
    I copied the whole game and pasted in the empty file medieval totalwar II, but it works, so now i have C/programs /Sega/ medieval totalwar II/ and game.

Is this normal?

No.

How much free space do you have on C: and D:?

Instead of using the autorun feature, some players have had better luck opening the disc in Computer and running the setup.exe form there. Some have had a better chance at changing drive letters and install locations that way.

Hi mate

I got 114 GB space on my C drive and 275 GB on my D drive, my autorune is of if i run Gold edition i cant even make a choice it just runs it to C drive and if i put my normal MTWII disk then i have a choice in what map i can put in to and still it puts it in C drive?
    I un installed the bloody game again 15 minutes ago ill make a prober instal and see wots it going to do
    But its verry strange that I cant make a choice to put my game!

They made the autorun installer for Gold that stupid?

When you put the Medieval2 disc from the Gold Edition, and you run the setup.exe on it, the install options box still comes up C:? With that much free disc space? Something is not right.

Could you give me a list of programs you have on your harddrives?

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    They made the autorun installer for Gold that stupid?
    Yes. Yes they did. The problem is that they didn't invest any time or real resources into it as it was already an old game when the Gold edition came out. It was time to maximize profit - not something I disagree with....

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    When you put the Medieval2 disc from the Gold Edition, and you run the setup.exe on it, the install options box still comes up C:? With that much free disc space? Something is not right.

Could you give me a list of programs you have on your harddrives?
    I'm thinking he's not hitting the correct setup program. The Installer in the root folder on the disc leads to the Gold installer. This is just a basic Installshield program that references the other two Installers and runs them in order.

But I'm sure that the other two Installers (vanilla and Kingdoms) are located on the discs also.

To the OP - check deeper into your discs and look for the Installers in the Medieval 2 folder and Kingdoms folder (off of the root folder on the main disc) and run them separately. I may not be remembering the folder names correctly so be prepared to search. Others have been able to use those Installers to choose the final path for installation before. These Installers actually had an option for choosing your own path different from the default. Good luck!
    Piss Poor Tech Support of Last Resort

Hi

My programs on C drive: Illustrator and Photoshop CS 2, 3D max 9, Gimp,virituel DJ, word, Nero,google eart and sketch up, limewire, Enemy territory and CTFmod, Rune, Avast,CC cleaner,Spybot.

Its true MTW II gold only intalled it selfs on C drive, I reintalled MTW II and Kingdoms on D drive last night after i un instal the game complete and cleaned it up with CC cleaner and i Defragment it after.

Wel this time it installed the game (not the Gold) on my D drive no problems this time, i think i might done sommething wrong me self the first time? or it did nt unistal

Have you heard of SecuRom? It is the copy protection Sega uses on Medieval2 and Kingdoms. I have a feeling that it is giving you the error messages from a past install. Even though it is for legal purposes, SecuRom is written to in the past consider Nero and its kind illegal.

MY advice would be to contact www.securom.com, request a harddrive scan, and request a medieval2.exe. to let you do what you want to.