Thread: BG:TW music question

Default BG:TW music question

Hello all,

I stumbled across this mod a few days ago and decided to check it out. The screenshots look very impressive and a dark-ages mod certainly sounds like fun.

I also tried to access the website linked to in the sticky threads but found that apart from the intro page I can't access it, nor could I read most of it if I could. Still, the video on the intro page worked fine, and more importantly the music is pretty awesome.

Which brings me to my question: What is it? Who performed it? I'd love to find more of this.

Oh, and another question whilst I'm at it. Will the mod include music like this when it's finished?

Anyway, thanks in advance, and good luck with the mod.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Default Re: BG:TW music question

Yeah, I recently noticed the site's not working well indeed. Don't really know what's the problem though...

As for the song, it's one of my favourites. It's based on a medieval Bulgarian epic folk-song from 6 centuries ago, about the fights of one of our last tsars against the Ottomans. I don't know who performs the version used in the video on our site, but there is a similar one performed by "Bulgaria's Men's Choir" (but without the drums) and I'm guessing both are from the times of communist rule. There are also other interpretations though, here are some of them that can be found in YouTube:
    - "Zazoriavane" by Elit (rock/heavy metal version, I've posted an English translation of part of the lyrics in the first video, though the original folk song is much much longer (and has many versions anyway))
    - "Mila moya maino lio" by Lot Lorien (hmm, not sure about the style, darkwave or ambient or world music or some other strange category, I guess; anyway, one of my favourites, especially considering it includes the famous Teodosii Spasov playing the kaval)
    - These two are with the version from our clip (unfortunately, I couldn't find the other choir version (without the drums) in YouTube)
    - "Otkak se e, mila moya maino lio" by Yulangelo (the usual interpretation, performed by a modern men's choir (though their Orthodox chants are also good))
    - My all-time favourite version is probably the first one I heard - a MIDI music track in the first Bulgarian PC game - Tzar. It's been a long time since I've heard it, so I'm not sure if it's the one here (after the 30th second) or not. IMO, even today that game has the best game-soundtrack I've heard (though that might be just the nostalgia talking).
    Last edited by NikeBG; December 06, 2009 at 06:53 AM.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Interesting to hear all the different versions, I think I still like the one from the clip best, the drums add power and match the martial content. But they all have their strengths.

Cheers!

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Yes, the choir and the drums indeed make it the most "battle-inspiring" version, although Elit's Zazoriavane is also good in that direction (but rather different style, of course).
    Btw, I dug up in my old CDs, found and uploaded the actual Tzar track.