Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sex is Sin?

Twitchy's Avatar Miles

Default Sex is Sin?

Why sould sex be a sin I mean every one of gods creation does it and their is a need to reproduce or we will die out as a race which might be for the better good for the entire earth. But anyways I dont agree with premarried sex or gay sex. Also god is the only one who can judge us and he will decide a punishment.

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

Moved to Ethos.
    -Ardeur
    Last edited by Simetrical; August 26, 2005 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Please see the Alhambra thread.

Sex is sex, do what you want as long as no-ones being harmed.
    Im an adult and any person who thinks they can tell me about my morals can bark away, but I will listen to myself before some middleman of the cloth or a pompous politician.
    Its a celebration *******! enjoy yourself!
    Last edited by Ardeur; August 26, 2005 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Censor Failure
    A Mod for Med2 Kingdoms:

THERA:REDUX

Click here:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/thera-redux

All you have to do is say: "I'm sorry" and the gates of heaven will open. Nail anyone you can before you are too ugly to get it.

*roll eyes*

Catholicism and organized religion should be a sin...

Quote Originally Posted by JOPO769
    All you have to do is say: "I'm sorry" and the gates of heaven will open. Nail anyone you can before you are too ugly to get it.
    ROFL.

Seriously, sex has been considered a sin because of its emotional connection. It has to do with the origional sin in that people are inherantly sinful.

Calling it a sin isn't really right though, i think they think of it more as a easy lead to sin.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Indefinitely Banned

I honestly dont even get why sex is considered bad, everyone is so damn afraid of having it enter mainstream culture at all. I imagine it was put in the bible because of some guy who could not get laid and he was jealous of those who could so he tried to make them not have sex.

I honestly dont even get why sex is considered bad, everyone is so damn afraid of having it enter mainstream culture at all. I imagine it was put in the bible because of some guy who could not get laid and he was jealous of those who could so he tried to make them not have sex.
    Nah, doubt that a person who was reading the Bible or creating the Bible, or writting a book in the Bible would have been jealous about it, it just seems like a simple explanation for it, is like someone say "War is bad" because he couldn't get in the army... Plus, in those times the marriages were arranged by the parents, why would a man not get a women?

Anyway, in Christianity/Catholism/Judasm (spelling?) sex is bad, but making love is good. There is a difference between making love and having sex; Making love is an expression of love, and is not that much about pleasure. Now, having sex is all about having pleasure.

At any rate, Paul even went on to say that it would be better for a human being not to get in a relationship because it would be better if you just focus all your energy and time to get to know God better. And that is something some people can't understand about the Bible; that God is everything and all the other things are not worth even thinking about.

God is like a sun; and the closest you get to Him, the more you see everything clearly (understand) and the more you are happy. And the rest is darkness.

For God is light, and there is no darkness in him. Those who claim to be with Him, and yet are in darkness, are lying.
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

Why do people pick and choose things out of the bible like that? You're not righteous or heaven-bound because you cherrypick certain things out of the bible and live your life by what it says. If the bible is a holy book then either take it as such and worship every single word or do as I do and disregard the bible totally as a book of tall tales. We've all agreed a long time ago that slavery and stoning people is bad...so...those two things alone should debunk the bible in its entirety. I swear, sometimes people are so stupid I'm amazed evolution hasn't weeded them out yet.

Talbaz's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA
    I swear, sometimes people are so stupid I'm amazed evolution hasn't weeded them out yet.
    rofl that was great on so many levels

I find it very irrational how people will say sex without marriage is wrong, especially given the fact that marriage can often be made out of necessity or convenience, being simply a lie which binds people to society's chains. If marriage equaled love, than it would be a justifiable concern, but we all know it doesn't, so I don't even take this kind of thought into consideration.

On the other hand, I do agree that sex without love or other emotional attachment can have lots of moral implications. I don't find it inherently bad (as someone said, as long as it's not harming anyone, than it's all good), but I'm aware that sex-crazed behavior can led to many many problems in one's life, and I understand why many people have reasons to be against sex without love.

In the end, it all boils down to one's own conscience: can you have sex with a person (or with several people) and not mess up anybody's lifes? If you can, and you wish to do it, then by all means go and do it. If you think you cannot judge whether it'll hurt anyone, then you'd be better off not doing it. And yes, that means I have nothing against people having gay sex (though I have absolutely no interest in seeing or hearing about two men doing it, let alone in practicing it. bleargh.)

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA
    . We've all agreed a long time ago that slavery and stoning people is bad...so...those two things alone should debunk the bible in its entirety.
    Not necessarily- if we agreed that murder is good, would that debunk the Bible in it's entirety? Who decides whether slavery and stoning people are bad? Just because we humans might say so, that doesn't mean that they necessarily are. Who defines what a bad deed is, eh?

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Dutchpower's Avatar Senator

No, sex isn't a sin. I think sex is just making love between two people. And there is nothing wrong with that!

Removed Censor Bypass, Open Flames, Offensive Posting, and Trolling... wow, that clears it all out. User Warned. -Ardeur
    Last edited by Ardeur; August 26, 2005 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Multiple offenses

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tomyris
    Not necessarily- if we agreed that murder is good, would that debunk the Bible in it's entirety? Who decides whether slavery and stoning people are bad? Just because we humans might say so, that doesn't mean that they necessarily are. Who defines what a bad deed is, eh?
    Ok seriously. It's quite different to say that stoning people is wrong and say that murder is wrong. You see people shouldn't have anything to do with other's lifes. That's why I don't judge people who kill them self because it is their decision wether to live or not. But if someone thinks he has right to end the life of another human, there isn't everything right in his head. (That doesn't count if you are killing serial-killer, because a man who murders someone doesn't have the right to live in my point of view). Anyway I think people should forget religion because it just makes things difficult. After all religion (and gods) was invented to explain things people couldn't (like lightning in the old times). I don't think anyone should live their lives just doing what thousands of years old books tell. After all world has changed and nowadays it's just better to use your own brains and solve problems without "letting the Lord to decide".

To answer the first post: Have sex when you want with who you want. As long as both of you agree with it (or all of you). That's a decision that we all have to make ourself.

-Creo
    Caesar is said to have whispered ''et tu Brute?'' as he had 20 knives sticking in his organs, but i think he actually murmured: ''Argblfpahkpfff."
    -smoke

a Finn

too many people pick and choose from the rules in the bible. modern christianity is full of hippocrits, ironically, some of the only people jesus ever condemed...

sex is an expression of love, and of trust.
    it should never be done casually, but it is not a sin

Personally, if we're going to dispassionately look at "sex as sin" at our most cynical, I'd have to say that it is sin because almost everyone feels lustful at some time. "Thou shalt not covet your neighbor's wife". Not, if you feel lust, you will squash it unless it is with your own wife XP

There is something to be said about a stable couple or marraige (whether it is your typical man/woman or not) over free love, mostly in the stable ground necessary to help protect children. However, in my more cynical of moments, I can't help but think that since the church is founded pretty much on absolution for sin, they had to find one that was near-universal to put the fear of hell-fire into everyone. Since vague moments of thinking "I'd have sex with that person" count as sin, everyone is a potential convert via the fear mechanism.

Anyway, in Christianity/Catholism/Judasm (spelling?) sex is bad, but making love is good. There is a difference between making love and having sex; Making love is an expression of love, and is not that much about pleasure. Now, having sex is all about having pleasure.
    I'll agree that having sex between partners that love eachother is a step beyond "just sex". The rest of this arguement is pretty convoluted though... sex is bad, making love is good. making love is not about pleasure, sex is all about pleasure. Sooo.... pleasure is a bad thing? And sinful I take it? Two people that are in love better not have pleasurable sex, because that isn't about the love, thats about the pleasure? *shakes head*

God is like a sun; and the closest you get to Him, the more you see everything clearly (understand) and the more you are happy. And the rest is darkness.
    Yep, God is like a sun. The closer you are to him, the more his flames will hurt you, the more blinded you will be when looking at anything other than him, and the less obvious it is that the sun is just another star in a beautiful galaxy of majestic bodies. XP Sorry, couldn't pass that one.

Well.. humanity as a whole does, ne? Society is constantly morphing into something new, whether taken as a whole, or any magnitude of subsets. Each person has their own worldview and beliefs. We as a society can teach moral and laws, but we can not ensure that person will follow them. *Shrug*

Eothain's Avatar woo

I don't think sex is evil or sin or anything (unless it's rape) but the idea that it is does provide a good rhyme.

"Sex is evil, evil is sin
    Sin is forgiven so get stuck in!"
    MareNostrum for DICTATOR FOR LIFE!

[move]I wanna stand up, I wanna let go. You know, you know, no you don't, you don't. I wanna shine on in the hearts of man, I wanna meaning from the back of my broken hand. Another head aches, another heart breaks. I'm so much older than I can take. And my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection, no, no, no, no, no. Help me out, yeah, you know you gotta help me out, yeah. Oh don't you put me on the backburner, you've gotta help me out, yeah. And when there's nowhere else to run, is there room for one more son, these changes, ain't changing me, the cold-hearted boy I used to be.[/move]

well, i'm not chistian, so why should the bibles ideas of what is sin or not have any relevance in my life whatsoever?

it should not be a question of is it sin, but a question of is it right, or wrong, to have sex with this person at this time, in this place, in this manner?

the answer can only come from your own personal morailty, whatever code that may happen to be based on.
    and if oyu get it wrong, and something bad cpomes of it, then you will be judged when you cross the bridge of swords (i.e in the next life, not this one)

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Sex is not sin, but lust is. Try to separate sex from lust: a saint will succeed, a man who loves a woman, and a woman who loves a man, who makes love with his/her partner, will too. I make no assumption on homosexual relationships, I have no experience of them. But how many men and women, really experience altruistic love during their life? I remember having sex with many of my previous gfs, in many cases, it was just lust. I wanted pleasure, nothing else, and the people I got it from were instruments, not persons.

Only in one case, I have experienced altruism. And in that case, of course, the counterpart didn't.

Sex, is a sin, most of the times, because most of the times the people who practice it, are not practicing it in the proper way.

With a pure heart, everthing becomes pure. Otherwise, even the most innocent thing, is made into sin.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast