Thread: resolution problems

Default resolution problems

Not sure where else to turn as there was no help on the RTW forums. I recently installed RTW: BI. (in preperation for this mod which i am trying to install still) I set (in game) the resolution for 1680x1050. It went to black screen and seemed to be changing the resolution but when the game screen came back, it was still at 1024X768. Problem is, the menu said that it was at 1680x1050. I exited and went to the preference file to set it there. The preference file was set manually to 1680x1050. I ran the game and the options screen appeared showing resolution set at 1680...but it was displaying still at 1024. WTF? any ideas. I tried changing my desktop resolution but that didnt help

EDIT: I should note that my copy is my old rome hard-copy from 2004...not the new Steam version if that matters
    In God we trust...everyone else gets searched.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Re: resolution problems

Are you changing the correct preferences.txt?

The RTW BI preferences.txt is in 'Rome - Total War\BI\Preferences'.
    The RTW preferences.txt is in 'Rome - Total War\Preferences'.

The exception to this is when you have Vista or 7 and have installed the game to the default folder in c:\program files (x86). If you've done that the preferences will be in the 'virtual store / application data' area. As you've not revealed which OS you are using I'll not add anything else (there are plenty of threads on using Vista / 7) .

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

I am running windows xp. I did change the preference file for BI. I changed it "in game" in the "video options" menu and then verified the changer had been made in the bi pref file. I also changed the "rome" pref file just in case. Both preferenbce files say 1600 resolution as does the in-game video menu...its just runnin at 1024.

Video card is invidia gts 250

Citizen

What do you see when you look in preferences.txt after you've seen that the changes have not had any effect in-game?

There is supposed to be a file somewhere that holds all the valid resolutions for the game. I don't know what that is called though.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Do you mean descr_auto_optimize_options.txt that most computers built the last five years makes obsolete?

Same thing happens in M2TW that i just downloaded from Steam. pref. file looks like this

[video]
    anisotropic_level = 4
    anti_alias_mode = off
    antialiasing = 0
    assassination_movies = 1
    autodetect = 0
    battle_resolution = 1680 1050
    bloom = 1
    building_detail = high
    campaign_resolution = 1680 1050
    depth_shadows = 2
    depth_shadows_resolution = 2
    effect_quality = high
    event_movies = 1
    gamma = 128
    grass_distance = 75
    ground_buffers_per_node = 4
    ground_cover_buffers_per_node = 4
    infiltration_movies = 1
    model_buffers_per_node = 4
    no_background_fmv = 0
    reflection = 1
    sabotage_movies = 1
    shader = 2
    show_banners = 1
    show_package_litter = 1
    skip_mip_levels = 0
    splashes = 1
    sprite_buffers_per_node = 4
    stencil_shadows = 1
    subtitles = 0

You can see resolution is set high but when I restart, I get the game in 1024. Video preferences still state 1680 so its not resetting...but game stays in 1024x768 even though everything states 1680

What are your computer specs as in cpu, ram, video card, monitor, operating system?

The game maybe saying you can't play at that resolution iwth your computer setup.

Intel Dual core 3 ghz
    Card: nvidia GTS 250
    3 MB RAM
    Monitor has native res og 1680x1050 (widescreen)

I run ETW smooth as silk w/ this resolution and smoke mod...most graphics on ultra

I tried to find what resolutions Rome supports and everything keeps pointing to tweaking the descr_auto_optimize_options.txt, teaking the Nvidia controls by trial and error, and rolling back your drivers.

In Rome's preferences.txt, do you have USE_WIDESCREEN set TRUE or FALSE?
    in Medieval2's medieval2.preferences.cfg, I don't see the widescreen option in your post and there is supposed to be one.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Do you mean descr_auto_optimize_options.txt that most computers built the last five years makes obsolete?
    Yes, I think that's the one. I Just looked at one of my copies of that where I've changed the resolution in preferences.txt to 2560x1600 - in the descr_auto_optimize_options.txt file the highest resoluiton is 2048x1536. However, my settings remain in-game on the options menu and they certainly look that high.

I would presume that as I play in windowed mode that if I had a lower resolution than my screen's native resolution it would appear as a Window on my desktop.