Thread: Remembering Waterloo !

Default Remembering Waterloo !

For all our Napoleon/Napoleon army lovers out there, maybe this is something new for you?
    Every year the battle of waterloo is remembered by 1000s of napoleonic reenactors from all over europe, remembering also
    the 1000s of (often nameless) soldiers who died there..

In 2010 its 195 yeas ago, that the battle took place, and the Waterloo organisation wants to organize an extra big event
    with over a 2500 reenactors, showing infantery, artillery groups and cavalery.
    On sunday they want to replay the attack at the original Hougemount, the famous farm stronghold, hold by english units
    against waves of french attackers.

There you can see all in real life, feel hear and see history. the last time when it was 190 years ago, i was also there, i sight
    never to forget, as the battlefield is still there, with hundred of english and french troops clashing on the slightly hills around
    waterloo and in the village of plancenoit.. history pure~!

no, im not part of the organisation of this event, but maybe an good idea for a lot of the visitors on this forum part, as i see
    that there is a lot of interest/love for this period.

In 2015 when its exactly 200 years ago, the belgium governement and organisation want to replay the battle of waterloo
    within a truly large scale and are talking in numbers of 15.000 reenactors and enthousiasts, sure something to never forget!

salut
    Last edited by Douanier; December 02, 2009 at 04:18 AM.

Default Re: Remembering Waterloo !

I will be there I hope! Great news!

this is a nice made movie, waterloo 2007, with around 1300 reenactors;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJBfrrguEpY

KozCDVI's Avatar Domesticus

I've been looking forward to June 2015 since I went to the Trafalgar 200 display (as a participant) in 2005

“My mother taught me never to throw stones at cripples. My father taught me to aim for their heads.”
    - Ramsay Snow

Miles
    The Netherlands, Brabant. close to Eindhoven.

I live on the Dutch-Belguim border so I will 100% sure go to the one in 2015 thanks for telling me, do you got any information like.. exact date and location?

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

I'll be trying to go there.

The waterloo event is once a year, always in the thirth weekend of june, around the date that the
    real battle took place. also look at the website of the waterloo museum for more upcoming info;

http://www.waterloo1815.be/en/waterloo/

cheerio

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Very nice!

S-te-Fan's Avatar Primicerius
    Diessen, The Netherlands, Near the belgium border.

I asked my friend, we'll be going. Wordt vet .
    Last edited by S-te-Fan; December 02, 2009 at 03:40 PM.

I'll just finish high school in 2013, so I'll go and see it with my mate who also loves Napoleonic history, I want to know how do we become part of it, I would love to be a re-enacter!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Beale View Post
    I'll just finish high school in 2013, so I'll go and see it with my mate who also loves Napoleonic history, I want to know how do we become part of it, I would love to be a re-enacter!
    It is a relatively simple thing.for most groups it is a matter of getting your gear together and getting in contact with a group or specific regiment of living historians(some of them re-enact very specific groups so check up on that first)and scheduling a time to meet and become integrated in what they do and how to go about itthere is numerous resources on the net for the clothing and equipment and fine sites to get you started finding the group that is right for you in your area

Sounds Impressive. You normally don't get this type of stuff in Europe, not on that scale anyway. In the USA I hear that they have gigantic re-enactments, especially of battles like Gettysburg, that simply dwarf anything we see in the old world - which usually consists of 30 guys in a field.

yes, in the us you have gigantic reenactment events, especially around the battle of gettysburg.

the largest events i have seen were around 3500 reenactors in a battle of jena auerstadt and austerlitz (both a 200 year event),
    both very impressive to see, especially the event in jena, in which i was part in a full line of french soldiers, the sounds from
    hundreds of musket shooting in the same time is just awesome..!

yes, most times an association does reenacting only one specific unit, not more.. so you have to think about what unit you would
    like to be a part of, ill give you a good tip, go and check an event near your place, take a look around and see what appears to
    be a nice group, and just talk with them.

cordialement

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Living in the Netherlands,Ill be there for sure in 2010,also hope to be there in 2015!
    http://www.waterloo1815.be/en/waterloo/

Moved to the Historical Research Center.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.