Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Barba/Poplicola

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Barba/?

[Lucius considered Pallas' words breifly]
    "No."

Senator

Senators, Senators! Do Celsius gave up is chair ?

Senators vote for your chosen suffectus!

I will leave to follow up on the absence of several members of this house, when I return I hope to see a new Consul, a Quaestors report and a report from Greece. This year there will be no stalling or hesitation, he shot a look at Pallas as he brushed past him and walked outside into the bright daylight, a day far too beautiful for the horrors that awaited him.

He had many things to do and cleaning up the baths was the least of his troubles, a fire had been reported elsewhere in the city and senators were missing.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Cato rises to announce the Quaestor's Report.

Quaestors Report

Considering the crisis we find ourselves in that concerns our military security I believe it necessary that we repair what we have lost. Therefore it may seem rash but I propose the following;

2000 denarii should be spent as soon as possible to levy new troops. Leaving a possibility to recruit new troops later on in the year if required.

A further 1000 denarii should be allocated to retraining those troops already on service.

The tax rates in conqueror cities should be raised to the high tax bracket to provide more support for the war, only if possible without increasing the garrison as I see no reason why our citizens should pay more at a time where they are also struggling.

The infrastructure in the South also needs to be improved and thus I suggest that roads shall be built in both Neapolis and Cannae. For the former to improve access to the port allowing a more steady pace of trade and for the later for the improvement in the time in takes to get to Tarrentum.
    However in Croton I suggest we start the process of land clearance instead of constructing roads. Overall this will cost us 9400 denarii.
    However I believe the increase in trade and trading products being produced in the south will become cost efficient in the near future.

Lastly I suggest we continuously improve the budget for the Consuls throughout the year so we can shape their budget depending on our situation in this term.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Indeed Quaestor Lucinius, i thank you for your promt report.

May i also remind the senate that a man is immune to law and action while running for office.

ooc; okay i can't find my any sources confirming that point, but i'm sure i read it in polybius

OOC: This is true, while running or in office, they are immune

Flavius stands for the first time since a bout of sickness,

"Is 9400 Denarii a little much, does it leave us any emergency coin left in the coffers?"
    Last edited by Raglan; December 01, 2009 at 09:11 AM.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

The great doors opened and a man stepped in. His face was hidden by a hood, and his body by a cloak. He handed a message to Barba.
    Senators of Rome.

You called me a fool. You turned on me when I fought for Rome. You accused me of treachery. You said that I was mad and wanted to be King.
    And yet, I saved you. If it wasn’t for me, Rome would never be where she is now. And if I would have listened to you, we would probably still be wondering how to fight Pyrrhus in Italy.
    But there’s now Pyrrhus to fight any more. He is dead. Dead, along with all the men who ever stood with him in battle. I have defeated both armies he sent against Ambracia, and I have retaken Apollonia. Epirus, as a nation is now utterly destroyed.

I very much hope, that when I arrive home, I won’t be greeted by the executioners. I am very sorry for acting against the will of the Senate, but I am afraid this was best for Rome, and I am not at all sorry for what I have done.

The other scrolls contain more detailed information about the outcome of the battles, apart from that, there is nothing more I wish to write to you.

May the Gods bless Rome with many more victories like this,
    Senator Marcus Julius Celsus

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I was able to attack Pyrrhus's army early at dawn, when Roman reinforcements arrived from Tarentum. I thank you for that, they made the difference between victory and defeat. I swept down on Pyrrhus's men with great speed, and he didn't realize that we had more men until it was too late. First taking out his siege engines with my cavalry, I gave time for my men to organize and march out from the city. Then we engaged with Pyrrhus's lines, slowly encircling them unit by unit. When Pyrrhus realized he was loosing, he tried to make a cowardly retreat. He then tried to escape, but I chased him with my horsemen and finally slew him at the foot of the Ambracian hill.

Dismayed by the news, the other Epeirot army retreated, but we reached them at the bridge of a river. A total number of nearly 2000 men were lost on the Roman side - we don't have precise reports, but all 12000 Epirots were killed.

Finally, the last battle took place at Apollonia. It was a bloody siege, the Epirots defended their last city with all their might; but the strength of the Roman army could not be withstood. All those who rose up against us were sold into slavery, I am sure you will soon find a large sum of money flowing into our treasury.

And with these final steps, I ultimately vanquished a once so proud nation - now all they had is Rome's.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Another great victory form one of Rome's finest!

This is certainly great news and a good way to begun the new term.
    I request that we call Celsius back home and award him a triumph.
    He and his brave soldiers deserve only the finest.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

The ends don't justify the means...but I will say that the end in this case ended quite nicely. I would support a triumph if others wish it, Celsus is still Rome's best known general.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

"Yes, Indeed.. Although the letter worries me somehow.."

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

I agree a triumph is needed to boast the peoples morale and especial those soldiers who were stranded overseas after are fleet was destroyed.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Triumph!

Bah, the man has openly disobeyed the senate, as well as the decorum expected of him. Need i remind you that a senator, let alone a Consul may not leave Italy without the express permission of the Senate. That alone is worthy of dismissal from this house.

I agree that Celsus has done us a good deed. But his actions have been unlawful. By Jupitor, Pyyrhus' heirs could successfully sue him in the courts if they wished!

I believe that the service that he has done us should not be forgotten, but he has broken some of Rome's most fundermental of laws. And a law is only good so long as it holds EVERYONE under it. We are a republic for that very reason.

No strip him of his senator title, but allow him to retire.

"Agreed, he is a good commander, one of our best! But not a great Roman Senator, he msut be redressed for what he did!"

Then it is settled. The people still need something to symbolize the victory though.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

"Agreed, but nothing too fancy, for the soldiers more than him."

Petronius rose,

"Then it is done. Celsus's war has shown disrespect, lack of concern for our authorities, and even that a single man can challenge the Republic and destroy our very government's structure...but in the end, he has succeded. I only wish, now, that Celsus leaves his troops in Greece, and comes back here, to this place. We cannot touch him, can we? He has the mob behind him. I only wish him to be here, and show us that he no longer wants to defy this Senate."

"Hear Hear!"

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

“Then your wish comes true, Senator Petronius!” rang a familiar voice clearly. Everyone looked in the direction of the voice, and saw the man who delivered the message standing in the middle of the Curia. He removed his hood, letting the cloak fall to the floor. A few Senators gasped, others looked at each other in surprise. Celsus stood in the centre of the chamber, shining in his toga, looking back at the amazed Senators with twinkling eyes.
    “I knew you would try to destroy me even after this. Such a pity that you didn’t succeed earlier. Perhaps then you would’ve learnt your lesson, when Pyrrhus marched across Italy to destroy you. But Pyrrhus is dead, thanks to myself and of course our great Consul,” he said with a tiny bow to Barba. “Unbelievable, isn’t it? I don’t have an army behind me, trying to overthrow you. I don’t have a mob crying ‘Rex Celsus’ with me,” he glanced lightly at Balbus and Poplicola sitting next to each other.
    “I am afraid it’s too late to grant me a triumph, after I’ve crossed the pomerium – but to be honest with you, oh dear Senators, I don’t really want such a parade. Just give my men peace, and let them return to their families. I’ve lead men long enough already, two years of hell is enough for anyone to wish for a little peace.”
    He paused and looked around.
    “Speaking of peace, I heard that Pallas the mad is turning Rome upside down. I don’t know how you wanted to destroy me at the head of an army, if you couldn’t succeed in harming a crazed man who has no power whatsoever?
    You sicken me, Senators, bore me. I thought Rome was great because of you, but now I realize that Rome would be much greater if you’d work as you were intended to.”
    A Senator was already standing up to speak. Celsus rolled his eyes and said in an annoyed voice while sitting down in the first row, “Well, come on, tell me when and where I will be executed.”
    Last edited by Elendil of Númenor; December 01, 2009 at 02:26 PM.

ooc: That's not Barba ¬¬. If anything let's say Barba is somewhere in the South...doing stuff...
    ic:

"So, you are here, Celsus." said Petronius, "In any other situation, this House would have arrested right there, right now. You are not longer a Consul, and did not even have the right to command those troops. However, I cannot help but wonder what would have happened if you had not disobeyed us, and travelled to Greece. Would we have been conquered by the Greeks? Would all the men in this Hall now be prisoners of war? I, in my humble opinion, doubt it."

he walked a little closer to Celsus, studying the man, who seemed to have little interest in what he had to say,

"I had always trusted you, Celsus, that is, before you did this. But your actions are those of a tyrant, a king, a man who obeys no authority but what his soul dictates him. And a man like that, I cannot respect. You have people cheering your name out there, writing grafitti on every wall, cheering you name for your success. And now, you, the noble man, do not even request anything, not even a triumph. How humble of you...just what the mob likes. I will not raise my hand against you, Julius, but I will keep my eye on you, and find what you heart truly wants."
    Last edited by Ozy; December 20, 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Then perhaps you can help us Celsus the Triumphant, the tone was bitter and came from the man standing in the doorway daylight silhoetted in the doorway. Festinius entered his face like stone.

Leave your weapons at the door, set him down over there where all can see him and know.

A clatter was heard as the procession lay down their weapons and then the tramp of marching resumed as eight men carrying a stretcher, they placed in on the floor where a stream of light erupted from a window, light fell upon the corpses face.

And with such a great man with us as you Celsus we can thwart Pallas surely. But how can we defeat a man who has no laws? No morals. A man who would kill not one, but two of the most sacred Tribunes. Before you conscript fathers lies Aulus Statius Culleolus. The fire I investigated was none other than the house of Pallas Rutulus Aventinus, the body of the Tribune was found in a pit dug within the house, filled with sand and scorpions.

Now Celsus what will you do? Will you act like some in this room and back away from him, will you act like myself and a select few and stand up to him, you see the consequences if you do, he pointed to the body, I almost met a similar fate at Rutulus' hands, you may have seen the mess we made in the baths.

He smiled mockingly And that is not to be taken as a joke.

It should be me who lies there, he was Tribune for the shortest of time but I had two years!

Turning back to Celsus he muttered, I no longer care what a man does outside these walls, how many of our laws he breaks when one man can upturn everything under our noses. I don't care for conquered land or your head Celsus. I see little glory in a power that can destroy nations like Epirus yet not keep it's own people in check. Truly we are pathetic.

What will we do? He shouted, his voice reverberating around the hall.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast