Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ages of darkness III - brainstorming, starting date etc

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Default Ages of darkness III - brainstorming, starting date etc

Ages of darkness 3 - the era of the Roman emperor Herakleios -

please post ideas, suggestions and all related stuff here

which starting date do you prefer for AoD3?

Starting with the young Herakleios, still garrisoned in Africa (the fleet is prepared, a nice army with several moorish and romano-moorish auxillaries...and of course pure roman units) - and on the other side a second Roman faction with emperor Phokas (surrounded by enemies)
    (in this case we have 2 Roman factions)

Or do you prefer a starting-date shortly before Yarmouk? (only 1 empire, exhausted army, Sassies are fighting a guerilla war in the mountains and a rising caliphate)

Both scenarios are very intersting, however, I can only make 1.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; December 01, 2009 at 03:44 AM.

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Ages of Darkness *** BRITANNIA *** PREVIEW

I would go with the second idea...
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    @JH
    which starting date do you prefer for AoD3?

Starting with the young Herkleios, still garrisoned in Africa (the fleet is prepared, a nice army with several moorish and romano-moorish auxillaries) - and on the other side a second Roman faction with emperor Phokas (surrounded by enemies)
    (in this case we have 2 Roman factions)

Or do you prefer a starting-date shortly before Yarmouk? (only 1 empire, exhausted army, Sassies are fighting a guerilla war in the mountains and a rising caliphate)

Both scenarios are very intersting, however, I can only make 1.
    I prefer the first option.

jermagon's Avatar Domesticus

I go with the second option, a unified Roman empire where old Heraclius is the emperor facing the rising power of the Muslim caliphate.

George Galloway ''You don't give a damn !!!!!!!!''

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Ages of darkness 3 - brainstorming, starting date etc

Quote Originally Posted by jermagon View Post
    I go with the second option, a unified Roman empire where old Heraclius is the emperor facing the rising power of the Muslim caliphate.
    Hey PM, I think you may have to set up a poll for this. I would like to Heraclius taking the empire then battling the Sassanids before taking on the muslims. Now that would be a great campaign!!

Yes, I'm tending to the "2-faction" solution too.

@Jermagon
    independently which solution we take (early or late) - there is definitively a muslim faction in both campaigns.

I will prepare a poll, as JH suggested, because it becomes OT here in this thread (mea culpa!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    Yes, I'm tending to the "2-faction" solution too.

@Jermagon
    independently which solution we take (early or late) - there is definitively a muslim faction in both campaigns.

I will prepare a poll, as JH suggested, because it becomes OT here in this thread (mea culpa!)
    well to be frankly with you Pomps I want the caliphate to be a playable faction. if we begin the campaign with young Heraclitus fighting Flavius Phocas for the throne of Rome. then the Muslim caliphate won't exist because there was no a Muslim state in 610A.D the prophet Mohamed received the revelation in 610 and for the next 13 years he along with his followers were persecuted by the pagan meccans. so technically there was neither state nor caliphate since caliphate means ''successor of the prophet' and the prophet was alive.

plus as a devout Muslim the idea of portraying the holiest man in Islam in a PC game isn't amusing to me.. I would rather tolerate playing with the first four Caliphs but not the prophet. Religious figures like Jesus and Mohamed and Moses should stand a side.
    Last edited by jermagon; November 29, 2009 at 08:57 PM.

yes, that's of course a good point.

Default Ages of darkness 3 - brainstorming, starting date etc

discussion moved to this new opened thread
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; November 30, 2009 at 06:01 AM.

Default Re: Ages of darkness 3 - brainstorming, starting date etc

Maybe the first...

I would love to play the first scenario, with two rival Roman factions and an emerging non-playable Muslim Caliphate.

However, I don't think that it would be to much work to make both ideas in one install that the player can chose from. The second idea of course being the second scenario with a playable Caliphate.

But I guess it all depends on what you want the mod to be? A Herakleios mod? Then I say the first option. A "rise of Islam" mod? The the second one. Those are my thoughts...

yep , Both are 2 Nice Option , But I think I will go for the option n° 1

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

Number 1 is more fun there are already too many scenarios about the rise of the caliphate.

Why not make a poll ?

I dislike the idea of 2 Roman factions, cuz historically Heraclius didn't confront serious troubles while fighting Phocas, cuz the latter was unpopular and the whole empire hated him. so when Heraklios sailed to Constantinople he easily captured the city. phocas didn't even find a place to hide.
    so my point is Heraclius easily took the throne, so no need to 2 roman factions
    Last edited by jermagon; November 30, 2009 at 05:59 PM.

the second option
    Last edited by ALFAJI; November 30, 2009 at 06:04 PM.

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Bulgaroktonos View Post
    Number 1 is more fun there are already too many scenarios about the rise of the caliphate.
    There is?

if I could find a mod on the rise of the Caliphate then I'll go with one. If there isn't one then I'll pick option two.

Maybe later on after this mod is released someone will come back and make option one.
    Last edited by Sigma; November 30, 2009 at 07:49 PM.

@Sigma
    you're right. I also haven't found a "rising caliphate" -mod yet. Some were planned, however, never finished!

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

I think option 2 ,aside from the religious aspect of portraying the prophet Mohammed could offend (having said that nobody would make any body play)there is the small matter of military power ,Rome and the Persians are super powers ,but exhausted ones ,there was a massive amount of luck in the Caliphates rise ,how would this be simulated in game? .Do you put massive debts and weak armies for Rome and Persia ? Then there is Yarmuk for example ,the Romans were more than capable of putting massive armies in the field .The piont i'm making is if you go with option 1 ,theres the danger that Rome and Persia will simply crush the Arabs first .

Signature made by Joar

So, you want an AoD3 - starting some months before Yarmuk?
    The other option to start - as mentioned by Jermagon - is the time with the 4 first Caliphs. That was something round about 632AD. That was also the year when the first muslim troops arrived persian territory.
    If we start at 636AD (the Yarmuk-scenario) then we have an exhausted Sassanian empire. In 637 Ctesiphon was besieged and Yazdegert fled eastward.
    We still see an Sassanian empire which is capable to deploy a good ammount of troops, but the strong core units and veterans which were used for training new units were missing or at least very few in number.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; December 01, 2009 at 08:46 AM.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

1st option is my favorite..
    Although it will need a lot of work more than the 2nd option it will be more educating and more chalenging..
    It will need two separate roman rosters (if the ending date will be after Yarmuk),it will need Avars and other factions but...
    The player will find him self in a living hell...This situation will help him to understand better what chalenges the Empire had to go on through to survive and the real value of the real Heracleius as a leader ...
    Revolts,desertions and multi direction invasions or rebelions will help the player to live the despaired situation of that times...
    Afcourse the value of the 2nd option is still great...
    Again the mod will need 2 diferend Roman rosters espesially after the defeat in Yarmuk!
    But this way the player will foully undestand the reasons of the reform of the roman armies to those for 700-900 ones....
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast