Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Good 40K Novels

Default Re: Good 40K Novels

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Perhaps they'll go at it from a different angle.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    They can still make Sanguinus loose face as the Siege for Terra is still far away, isn't it?

They must DO something at their Heresy Meetings. Not just eat cereos and discuss Monica Belluci's figure.
    Well Sanguinius' Terra is already fairly busy, I doubt they'll shoehorn in another battle for him to fight there as otherwise it'd be overload....but you never know I guess, the retcons in the Heresy series over the past 2/3 years have been as much miss as hit.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Question on ADB's latest novel 'Betrayer'

Should I go for the hardback or wait for the paperback?
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 08, 2012 at 04:22 AM.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

hardback is yet another method of extracting yet more money from us so..

like the 'limited edition' novellas being sold for 30 bloody quid, i refuse to be ripped off by purchasing them.

I agree with you and I can clearly see a cash-cow when they added the 'Full Experience Betrayer' package complete with Wallpapers and audio-format and .

But what am I suppose to get myself for Christmas then?

Would the softback be available by then?

I hate hardback.....just an excuse to make us pay more when half of us dont even want it

Its big, heavy, hard to store and like most things in the Imperium primitive

Just like what GW is doing to the Codexes. They get to tack on an extra 50% to the price just because its hardback.
    Art //

Which is why I stopped playing

I always figured it would be the models but in the end it was the books

It's impractical to lug that stupidly large book to games.....

The people at my local shop have to get a separate table just to put their army books on it....which is terrible.....and only the most die hard would take the slap to the face in terms of digital pricing and smile

I'm happy GW doesnt handle Dark Hersey or Rogue trader, fantasy flight plays it smart and actually give you a ebook version that doesnt cost the same amount as the physical copy....

I esp dislike the fact that the ebook versions of the BL novels actually cost more than the physical copy......

So I bought Shadows of Treachery. One question though:

In both John French's The Crimson Fist as in Dan Abnett's Lightning Tower , the same situation and the same characters appear but they don't talk the same words.

The Dwalagiri Elevation is being discussed by Dorn and warmason Vadok Sighn, tasked with the refitting of the Imperial Palace.

I was wondering: is this deliberate on the authors part to make us understand that fluff is not set in stone but is instead, only a setting?

In which, you know, every guy can write whatever, as long as they respect the basic, like Imperial Fists & Descendants have no Betcher's Gland or Sus-an Membrane (important details are important)

What do you guys think?` Also, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year all!
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; December 26, 2012 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    I was wondering: is this deliberate on the authors part to make us understand that fluff is not set in stone but is instead, only a setting? Also, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year all!
    Happy New Year! That is a very interesting question that I too have thought about. And somehow it seems more apparent in the HH series. There has been some criticism that 30K is "cooler" and of "higher quality" than the rest of 40k fluff. A bit too accurate perhaps.

I like the idea that since the Imperium of 30K no longer exists, the history would have been tweaked to suit the current ruler(s), changed in time, lost in translation. Perhaps what we read in HH is what is available to the Imperial scholars, based on what they have learned immediately after the heresy.

The big picture is clear, but the individual motives, especially of the Primarchs "behind closed doors" remain unclear.

And this will go very well with the 'shrowded in mistery' routine of the grim-darkian universe.

I guess it's not that hard to write 30k fiction. You keep your details precise and you leave out whatever might be of major importance to other writers or to your readers imagination.
    Then you get a train load of money.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

HH is more epic a story to tell than the ongoing battles and skirmishes of 'modern' imperium.

thats not to say the storyquality is necessarily better. god knows there has been some poor HH releases and it concerns me that the series is increasingly becoming a substandard cash cow.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

It's not being used the authors have discussed a definite story arc that is due to end soon.

It's obvious that it will end because they're preparing the Palace for incoming Horus & co. now.

Only question is: what will they think of next?

Because, GW doesn't need the story to move forward so no 43rd Millenium juicy action yet.

There was that rebellion. Sounds pretty exciting.

What rebellion?!

Someone tried to overthrow the imperium, had quite a following. Its post heresy, I have forgotten the details but when my friend told me about it, it sounded very exciting.

Primicerius

I'm currently reading Angel Exterminatus by Graham McNeill and oh how I'm enthralled. Basically, IMO this is one good ing book (so far). It even beats my adoration for The First Heretic.

Though you should read Mirror Crack'd before this one to know important details about Fulgrim and Eidolon.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    Someone tried to overthrow the imperium, had quite a following. Its post heresy, I have forgotten the details but when my friend told me about it, it sounded very exciting.
    Age of Apostasy? How about Huron's Rebellion?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    It must be that thing about that Goge Vandire dude.

that would be interesting, not to me personally but I know many would like to read on it....

I just want more Non-Imperium novels......would be nice to have a novel series on the fall of the eldar or the Damocles Gulf Crusade piece by piece

I'm just tired of reading about the Imperium and from their point of view....
    Last edited by Okuto; December 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM.