Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Good 40K Novels

Default Re: Good 40K Novels

The ones I found I liked best were the Eisenhorn Trilogy mainly due to the fact that he is only character telling the story and has to go to great lengths to unravel some od the plots he faces. Another one I read a short story or two, I'm not sure if it is its own series or not was about a commissar who basicly did all the right things when he had to and wasnt too bothered about heresy or rebelion against the Imperium at all. As long as he had a decent stack of poker chips a drink and some birds to share an evening with he was pretty happy.

Made a nice change from the standard most of the 40K books adopt of the unkillable protagonist, cant remember the name of it though

this is not helping my addiction lol , i just stopped reading Warhammer/40k novels, to start to study again for school, now i wanna go back and read some more of my 200+ warhammer and warhammer 40k library

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Speaking of your addiction , how about this ?
    Last edited by Lord of the Drunk Penguin; June 20, 2012 at 02:47 AM.

Well this is interesting

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhamme...s-of-mars.html

I knew that Mars had the power to call upon the Imperium for resources for things that could be considered a fool's errand but space marines too?

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

The Primarchs was a pretty nasty HH book. Good parts and bad parts but overall a big bag of yawn.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    Well this is interesting

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhamme...s-of-mars.html

I knew that Mars had the power to call upon the Imperium for resources for things that could be considered a fool's errand but space marines too?
    If a chapter has strong ties to the Mechanicum then they could be obliged to sent marines to help them out of some kind of ancient agreement or oath. Even so, some chapters will do so out of belief that the mission, however foolish, could produce significant results.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Crane! View Post
    The Primarchs was a pretty nasty HH book. Good parts and bad parts but overall a big bag of yawn.
    Anthologies usually are like that. The first HH anthology Tales of Heresy was the only one that was all round awesome.
    Art //

Civis

Graham Mcneils ultramarines trilogy is great as a snapshot of the chaos marines internecine fighting (and a fight against tyranids is good as well)
    Not a trilogy.

I've only read the first Omnibus (three books and a short story). It was pretty good. The other Omnibus (three more and probably a short story) came out this month. As much as I hate Robute Guilliman (If any Primarch deserved the honor of writing Codex Astartes, it was Rogal Dorn, and explicitly with the option for such chapters as the Space Wolves to form their own doctrine), McNeill made his sons seem interesting.

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

Currently reading Descent of Angels in the HH series, while thus far it isn't exactly about the Great Crusade (i'm JUST getting there now) I liked the description of how the home planet gets completely changed beyond recognition and the point of view it takes in describing it. That and how it may have been to be on some of the other planets that the Primarchs were on, to see the change in them and the people around them when they become Astartes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    If a chapter has strong ties to the Mechanicum then they could be obliged to sent marines to help them out of some kind of ancient agreement or oath. Even so, some chapters will do so out of belief that the mission, however foolish, could produce significant results.

Anthologies usually are like that. The first HH anthology Tales of Heresy was the only one that was all round awesome.
    Age of Darkness was wonderful you heretic!

Quote Originally Posted by hagagaga View Post
    Not a trilogy.

I've only read the first Omnibus (three books and a short story). It was pretty good. The other Omnibus (three more and probably a short story) came out this month. As much as I hate Robute Guilliman (If any Primarch deserved the honor of writing Codex Astartes, it was Rogal Dorn, and explicitly with the option for such chapters as the Space Wolves to form their own doctrine), McNeill made his sons seem interesting.

Graham McNeill's epic trilogy of "Ultramarines" novels is now collected together into a single, great-value omnibus edition.

Funny that, perhaps you should go and tell Amazon that.

Three connected books, surely it isn't a trilogy.

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Age of Darkness was wonderful you heretic!
    Indeed. The Iron Within was all around awesome, as was Little Horus, and Savage Weapons.

Graham McNeill's epic trilogy of "Ultramarines" novels is now collected together into a single, great-value omnibus edition.

Funny that, perhaps you should go and tell Amazon that.

Three connected books, surely it isn't a trilogy.
    There are two Ultramarines' omnibuses with three connected books and one short story each. That makes two trilogies.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinary Guardian View Post
    Indeed. The Iron Within was all around awesome, as was Little Horus, and Savage Weapons.

There are two Ultramarines' omnibuses with three connected books and one short story each. That makes two trilogies.
    double indeed.

Lets not forget Rebirth as well, which pretty much
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ends the debate over where the Blood Ravens come from.

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Londinium View Post
    Lets not forget Rebirth as well, which pretty much
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    ends the debate over where the Blood Ravens come from.
    I enjoyed the other stories, but, IMHO nothing compares to the trio I mentioned in my previous post. Truth to be told, I don't appreciate these anthologies, they just milk the cash cow that is the fans I prefer full novels.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

Truth to be told, I don't appreciate these anthologies, they just milk the cash cow that is the fans I prefer full novels.
    This, 1000 times this.

Finished the second Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus The Saint. Like I think I stated a page or two back, Lijah Cuu was a waste of a character and the characters he killed just felt.. meh. Like Dan couldn't think something better up. I have the Imperial Guard Omnibus with 15 Hours and two others (forgot their names). The entire Ravenor omnibus, Enforcer, and The Emporer's Finest. I'll probably read another book after those but need a suggestion on which of those to read next when I get to em.
    Therefore I am I must - King of Dyslexia
    My Stories:Wolfmen - Henrick Gleeson - The Woman and the Bread Roll

The Unknown General's Avatar Centenarius

Which book should someone new to the 40k series read? I bought the Grey Knights Omnibus and read several chapters, but I had no idea what was going on. I heard Let Galaxy Burn is a good starter and apparently they have an Omnibus for it.

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Encino_Man View Post
    I have the Imperial Guard Omnibus with 15 Hours and two others (forgot their names). The entire Ravenor omnibus, Enforcer, and The Emporer's Finest. I'll probably read another book after those but need a suggestion on which of those to read next when I get to em.
    I enjoyed Ravenor, I would go with that.
    Na Géanna Fiáine

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown General View Post
    Which book should someone new to the 40k series read? I bought the Grey Knights Omnibus and read several chapters, but I had no idea what was going on. I heard Let Galaxy Burn is a good starter and apparently they have an Omnibus for it.
    I don't think there is any book that is really good to start with if you have no pre-knowledge.
    Just read and if you enjoy the setting keep reading.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown General View Post
    Hellsreach or Soul Hunter by Dembski Bowden.

Trust me on this as someone who recently was very new to the 40k series go through the Horus Heresy.

Every book so far has expanded knowledge on various different areas of the 40k Universe and I'm only now moving onto other areas. Ultramarines Trilogy by Graham Mcneil was great. It didn't include anything without a full explanation.

I love ADB though so I'll consider that next as I'm buying a book today I think.