Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Good 40K Novels

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

Default Good 40K Novels

I like Chaos, the Imperial Guard, and the Space Marines (sorta). What novels involving these factions would you all recommend?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Good 40K Novels

Unfortunately, most novels are only from Imperium view; never saw an Ork(although the langauage may be so difficult to understand that be banned by governments), Eldar (actually, I just remember there are one or two Eldar novels) or Tau novels (we can give up Necron and Tyrannid since they don't speak); Chaos novel is very rare saved Horus Heresy series.

Imperial Guards:

Ciaphas Cain (Hero of Imperiam, must read!!!) series.

Gaunt's Ghost series (arguable the best series of Imperial Guards).

Fifteen Hours.

Last Chancers (??).

Space Marine:

Space Wolf series.

There are bunch of Inquisition series, by the way. Of course, for all lover of 40K Horus Heresy series is a must.

For the Chaos Greater Good Emperor!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

~Beren~'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    (actually, I just remember there are one or two Eldar novels)

Really?

Please, do tell.
    What are the names of these novels?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by ~Beren~ View Post

Really?

Please, do tell.
    What are the names of these novels?
    Are you going to give me cookies if I tell you??

Anyway, Chaos novel:

Dark Apostle.

Daemon World (never actually see this novel appears in any bookshop).

Lord of the Night.

Eldar novel:

Eldar Prophecy (the name is lame, and I only saw the cover before, too colorful for me to continue reading).

Farseer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

~Beren~'s Avatar Primicerius

Eldar novel:

Eldar Prophecy (the name is lame, and I only saw the cover before, too colorful for me to continue reading).

Farseer.
    Looks interesting.

I might consider giving them a read if I ever get the chance of finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Are you going to give me cookies if I tell you??
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Kill Team (last chancers novel) is good indeed.

any of the horus heresy (start from the begining of the series) - ive made it as far as Fulgrim so far.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Definitely the Horus Heresy series, I mean... If you've never read a 40k novel before than that is the place to start.

By the time you're done with Horus Rising you'll be rushing out to the store to buy all the sequel books, like I did. I've read through Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein, Fulgrim and Legion now. About to begin Battle for the Abyss. You'll never love 40k more than when reading these books.

And you'll instantly be annoyed that the Chaos expac for DoW 2 isn't out yet XD
    Last edited by The Dude; December 04, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
    I have approximate answers and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and many things I don’t know anything about. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing.
    - Richard Feynman's words. My atheism.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Definitely the Horus Heresy series, I mean... I've you've never read a 40k novel before than that is the place to start.

By the time you're done with Horus Rising you'll be rushing out to the store to buy all the sequel books, like I did. I've read through Horus Rising, False Gods, Galaxy in Flames, Flight of the Eisenstein, Fulgrim and Legion now. About to begin Battle for the Abyss. You'll never love 40k more than when reading these books.

And you'll instantly be annoyed that the Chaos expac for DoW 2 isn't out yet XD
    i am hopefully getting some of the ones following on from fulgrim this month...i havent been 'in' to wh40k since i was a kid but the books bring it all back

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

The HH series is probably some of the best reading for 40k out there. Well, technically 30k but you get the idea. All you need is to read the 1st 3 books then you can skip around the rest of the books, since once you know the 1st 3, the rest will make sense.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

thatguy's Avatar Domesticus

Ciaphas Cain series is defenetly a must.

The Ultramarine series by Graham McNeill is excellent (My Personal favourite is Dead Sky Black Sun) and I have the Omnibus (first 3) and I can't wait till its second omnibus.

Execution Hour by Gordon Rennie is actually not to bad, and its focused on both Imperial Guard and Chaos

http://www.battledebate.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Or perhaps you've been missing the point of modern warfare? Crush the enemy within a month and then fight an insurgency for the next 10 years..
    Quote Originally Posted by spl00ge View Post
    I just got 9 inches.

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

Anything by Dan Abnett, or anything in the Heresy series.
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

The Grey Knights series is really nice and bloody if you are into SMs vs chaos.
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor series

Their Law's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn and Ravenor series
    This.

Eisenhorn is probably the best W40k novel set out. Closely followed by Gaunt's Ghosts.
    "You have a decent ear for notes
    but you can't yet appreciate harmony."

Primicerius

This thread is now about Dawn of War Comics.

Which would you recommend? google has amazingly failed me.

Indefinitely Banned

The Ciaphas Cain books are awesome, so are the ones about the Soul Drinkers, I really enjoyed them.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Soul_Drinker_Series

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Cave...e_%28Novel%29#

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

New Blood Angels book -Black Tide
    they try to hunt down Fabius Bile,who stole remnants of Sanguinus blood.
    But since Fabius is in settings I doubt BA would kill him.
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Excuse me, but is Redemption Corps any good?

I'm thinking of buying it soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Excuse me, but is Redemption Corps any good?

I'm thinking of buying it soon...
    Redemption Korps is good. You should abso check out the other books in the series:

The books in the series are:

1. Fifteen Hours; Description (Basic Training:Four Months, Planetary Transportation:Seven Weeks, Life Expectancy:Fifteen Hours) Its about a regiment that has to fight an Ork Waaagghh! where the average life expectancy of a regular trooper is 15 hours.

2. Death World: About a Catachan regiment in a battle on a very hazardous planet much like Catachan.

3. Rebel Winter: About a Vostroyan Regiment fighting an Ork Waaagghhh! on an ice world.

4. Desert Raiders: About a regiment of Tallarn desert raiders fighting a Tyranid invasion on a desert world.

5. Ice Guard: About a squad of Vallhallan Ice warriors sent into a warzone to extract an important imperial dignitary. They have to battle Chaos Cultists and escape before the Imperial Navy virus bombs the planet.

6. Gunheads: About an Imperial Tank company fighting Orks to retrieve Commisar Yarriks Baneblade; the Fortress of Arrogance from its resting place on the ruins of the Golgotha battlefield.

7. Cadian Blood: About a Cadian regiment trapped on a planet, whos population have been turned into Plague Zombies.

8. Redemption Corps: About a super elite Stormtrooper squad that is under attack from Orks and under scrutiny and later attacked by the Sisters of Battle, the squad must try to complete their mission and earn redemption.

9. Dead Men Walking (Released in December): Description (When the necrons rise, a mining planet descends into a cauldron of war and the remorseless foes decimate the human defenders. Salvation comes in an unlikely form – the Death Korps of Krieg, a force as unfeeling as the Necrons themselves. When the two powers go to war, casualties are high and the magnitude of the destruction is unimaginable).
    Last edited by Ulysses S. Grant; September 13, 2010 at 06:45 AM.
    Art //

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    Redemption Korps is good. You should abso check out the other books in the series:

The books in the series are:

1. Fifteen Hours; Description (Basic Training:Four Months, Planetary Transportation:Seven Weeks, Life Expectancy:Fifteen Hours) Its about a regiment that has to fight an Ork Waaagghh! where the average life expectancy of a regular trooper is 15 hours.

2. Death World: About a Catachan regiment in a battle on a very hazardous planet much like Catachan.

3. Rebel Winter: About a Vostroyan Regiment fighting an Ork Waaagghhh! on an ice world.

4. Desert Raiders: About a regiment of Tallarn desert raiders fighting a Tyranid invasion on a desert world.

5. Ice Guard: About a squad of Vallhallan Ice warriors sent into a warzone to extract an important imperial dignitary. They have to battle Chaos Cultists and escape before the Imperial Navy virus bombs the planet.

6. Gunheads: About an Imperial Tank company fighting Orks to retrieve Commisar Yarriks Baneblade; the Fortress of Arrogance from its resting place on the ruins of the Golgotha battlefield.

7. Cadian Blood: About a Cadian regiment trapped on a planet, whos population have been turned into Plague Zombies.

8. Redemption Corps: About a super elite Stormtrooper squad that is under attack from Orks and under scrutiny and later attacked by the Sisters of Battle, the squad must try to complete their mission and earn redemption.

9. Dead Men Walking (Released in December): Description (When the necrons rise, a mining planet descends into a cauldron of war and the remorseless foes decimate the human defenders. Salvation comes in an unlikely form – the Death Korps of Kreig Krieg, a force as unfeeling as the Necrons themselves. When the two powers go to war, casualties are high and the magnitude of the destruction is unimaginable).
    8 completely proves my point about the sisters of teamkill

Page 1 of 37 123456789101126 ... LastLast