Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839

Thread: Good 40K Novels

Default Re: Good 40K Novels

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    Emphasis on this part of my post you quoted:

"what is as close to fear as a marine can feel."

They recognise the feeling but it doesn't affect them. This feeling is stronger when you throw a Primarch in the mix.
    As far as i recall back in the day only Black Legion was the only SM heritage legion with unbreakable morale. After that all SM legions became unbreakable (unless that changed haha).
    Writers mix up the rules and even make up their own. Never read too much into fluff.

Edelfred's Avatar Semisalis

I kind of enjoyed The Space Marine battles ,Iron Warriors- The siege of Castellax
    because for loyal marines things are always too good and easy they always locate Ork's Top Boss or Tyranid's Brood Queen and .........win ?!?!!!!!!
    Those IW got screwd up by the traitor in their midst -a sorryfellow ,type -'why you've rescued me with those hideous wounds ,which mare my beauty looks ?..
    Now I pay back !!! ' - he also was a tech-marine lol

The Dark Eldar Trilogy: Path of the Renegade by Andy Chambers –

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I really liked the first normal Eldar book but couldn't really be bothered to read the rest, not sure why I'm so apathetic towards them.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Denny also you?

I think they are boring, I don't know exactly why but.....the Eldar are boring, this is like a 'lemma'!

I wouldn't call them boring at all I'm just not sure I like the authors style or perhaps the story arc isn't entertaining enough.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

..You are a good person Denny, really a good person!

But believe me they are boring! Also Dan Abnett couldn't save them from the boredom.....

Why? It's simple: They are perfect!....so they are boring!

They are already dead (not a dying fascinating and corrupt Empire, like Terra)! They have no faults! Then GW clearly explained their objectives are not understandable, because too complex and twisted! They are good, and perfect, too good and too perfect compared to the other races of WH40k! You cannot build a love story with their characters because they have a very Platonic sexuality! Their worlds are artificial worlds floating in a meaningless way in the Galaxy! They cannot build a new Empire! They cannot destroy an existing Empire! They are not interested in the profitable goods of the Galaxy! The most intriguing part of the Eldar History is the Webway, but after some trip here and there trought the Webway, GW has stopped to add details about the whole matter (Because any good SF writer would tell you that the Webway is a totally idiotic and silly idea, of course!),...etc....etc.....etc....

I might continue for pages and pages...but the point would not change: The Eldar are boring!

Domesticus

I recently just finished Titanicus by Dan Abnett, it was pretty epic. Neat look into the Titan Legions, made them very interesting, kinda wanna see the Skittari as a tabletop unit now The image of them reminded me of Alexander the Great's Companions

Gnostiko's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    (Because any good SF writer would tell you that the Webway is a totally idiotic and silly idea, of course!)
    What's wrong with the Webway?

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Why? It's simple: They [Eldar] are perfect!
    Might I ask where you got this idea from? The very essence of the Eldar is 'faded glory' - emphasis on faded. They had their chance and they blew it, they ****ed up and lost their Empire.

They cannot build a new Empire! They cannot destroy an existing Empire!
    You could apply that to any faction in 40k; it's an unspoken part of the grimdark fluff. Nothing changes for any of the major factions because you'd risk angering one fanbase or another. That said, GW have taken to using the Eldar (and Elves in WHFB) more and more as punching bags recently XD

Pantsalot's Avatar Senator

Not quite a novel, but does anyone have an opinion of the Liber Chaoticas?

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I've read many 40k novels in my time and there are definitely some great books out there courtesy of the more popular or modern writers already mentioned. If you go further back though, you can find some real gems. Daemon World by Ben Counter and Pawns of Chaos by Brian Craig are probably my two favourite 40k books. My copy of Daemon World especially has practically fallen apart at the seams, the amount of times I've read it. It's one of those wonderful books where you discover something new every time you read it. When 40k novels leave behind the traditional trappings of the franchise and authors go down more unique avenues, you can find some very original and refreshing works. Dan Abnett's Double Eagle was also very captivating for the same reason, although I wouldn't rate it as highly as the other two.

On a side note, did anyone else pick up any of the philosophical undertones in the (early) Horus Heresy books; False Gods in particularly? Perhaps I was reading too much into it, but I thought there was a definite subtext there. Then again, I was also reading a lot of Nietzsche at the time

See your mistake was reading Nietzsche

Started reading Inquisition Wars the first ever 40k book. Wonderful.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I just loved that series. Too bad 99% of what's in it is no longer canon.

Its not? Oh well. Should be fun finishing it anyway. Read the callidus short story and I'm working my way through the Jac Draco part.

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

are there any other dark angels novels besides the 2 in the HH series? i would be highly interested in reading more of them.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane751 View Post
    are there any other dark angels novels besides the 2 in the HH series? i would be highly interested in reading more of them.
    Gav Thorpe's written a couple. There are probably some others knocking about somewhere, but I can't recall 'em off the top of my head.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by f0ma View Post
    I've read many 40k novels in my time and there are definitely some great books out there courtesy of the more popular or modern writers already mentioned. If you go further back though, you can find some real gems. Daemon World by Ben Counter and Pawns of Chaos by Brian Craig are probably my two favourite 40k books. My copy of Daemon World especially has practically fallen apart at the seams, the amount of times I've read it. It's one of those wonderful books where you discover something new every time you read it. When 40k novels leave behind the traditional trappings of the franchise and authors go down more unique avenues, you can find some very original and refreshing works. Dan Abnett's Double Eagle was also very captivating for the same reason, although I wouldn't rate it as highly as the other two.

On a side note, did anyone else pick up any of the philosophical undertones in the (early) Horus Heresy books; False Gods in particularly? Perhaps I was reading too much into it, but I thought there was a definite subtext there. Then again, I was also reading a lot of Nietzsche at the time
    To me, anything Dembski - Bowden writes is OP.

Everything except Emperor's Gift which felt rushed, somehow.
    But still good, nonetheless.
    He excels at psychological insight.

Sanguinary Guardian's Avatar Primicerius

I've recently read Fifteen Hours and it is not just a good 40K novel, it's a good novel, period. Alongside Gaunt's Ghosts, perhaps the best IG stuff out there.

H ΕΛΛΑΔΑ κι ο ΕΛΛΗΝΙΣΜΟΣ είναι αξίες ιερότερες από οποιαδήποτε ειρήνη!

Despite all we have lost so far, our fire still burns...