Thread: RTW Battle Editor - Fort problem

Icon5 RTW Battle Editor - Fort problem

Hi everyone, this is my first post.

For anyone that is interested in how to make cool custom maps with features, which you can play online with (thought it requires a trick): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDGxl69rvNU
    I got the information from some posts on the forum and took the liberty of showing it to more people outside of the forum.

But I ran into a problem, if you place a fort on the map, it disappears when you go to play on it. Then when you go back to edit the map, it is still gone.
    Bit of a shame because a fort would be a cool centrepiece for a custom map.
    My only thoughts are that maybe the RTW files dont register the fort as existing if a defending faction is not restricted to deploying within the fort. Perhaps for the fort to exist there has to be more explicit guidelines such as a defending team, an attacking team, the factions involved and clearly defined deployment areas.

My problem is that I don't want preset factions or diff deployment areas, I want players to be able to choose whatever faction they wish and begin in the default deploying areas, and I don't want anyone to start in the fort; it's just meant for decoration to the side of the battlefield.

If anyone can help me out that would be awesome.

Default Re: RTW Battle Editor - Fort problem

Could you solve the problem? I've run into the same problem... perhaps it's a problem with the map.wrm of the custom battle...
    There are none so enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

I've been taking a look on this matter, and the problem is that the battle editor does not save the fort model in the descr_battle.txt. It just modifies the terrain so that the blueprints of the fort will be visible (as you have said).

When adding a settlement, the result in the descr_battle.txt is the following:

Code:
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ; >>>> start of factions section <<<<

faction	romans_julii
    settlement
    {
    	level village
    	tile 166 137

year_founded 1
    	fortification none roman, walls 0 towers 0 gates 0 gate_defences 0
    	population 0
    	battle_pos -32.000 465.885 32.000	rotation_0	0
    	plan_set default_set
    	faction_creator romans_julii
    }
    When adding a fort, nothing of this is present.

So, In my oppinion, to have a fort in a historical/custom battle, it will be necessary to add it manually. The problem is that I'm not sure how. Perhaps the clue is in the line plan_set default_set. If only it would be possible to add the fort plan to the correct folder, we could try adding a settlement with the fort plan.

Anyway, I don't know if the camp model would turn up, or just a wall in the middle of nowhere.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

So, In my oppinion, to have a fort in a historical/custom battle, it will be necessary to add it manually. The problem is that I'm not sure how. Perhaps the clue is in the line plan_set default_set. If only it would be possible to add the fort plan to the correct folder, we could try adding a settlement with the fort plan.
    This is how I was able to edit a custom tile for the surrounding regions of a custom plan I created. So long as the plan exists in the list you can access in the battle editor (did this over a year ago so I'm a bit hazy on the details) you can put it where you want and then it will exist in the battle or custom tile.

Ah, here's my post about it. So, it was back in Sept or so (seems longer)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...07#post6114707
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Hi Ramashan,

When you say, 'you can put it where you want', do u mean the actual fort/settlement in question? Because I looked at the link you referenced and I couldn't see anything about actually 'placing' a settlement, atleast I definitely saw nothing about the co-ordinates of placing the settlement in the custom tile.

I've stuck some code into a custom map of mine, from a Vanilla map, called, 'Arretium', and managed to to make the same settlement appear there, but I can't seem to move it away from the centre of the map. (Also interestingly enough, after 'manually' adding this in code, it doesnt appear there, neither its blueprints, if opened in the battle editor.) Actually the 'blueprints' that Mataputas refers to, the change in colour of the grass where the fort should be, is not really part of the fort's code, its just a brush effect which can be achieved with the terrain brushes available. It's not related to the fort really at all, and its not a sign that the fort's code is within reach in the descr_battle.txt, it's a separate addition to the actual fort itself, not the 'remnants' of the fort being cancelled or something. (That's my opinion.)

It seems to make sense that there is some hidden code in place (I believe it's in the map.wfc file) that forces any fort or settlement irremovably into the centre of the map, because I've never played a map with such a centrepiece skewed to the side of battlefield. (In campaign mode.) And that's the problem, coz I want my forts, etc., to the side as a decoration.
    I also discovered that there was also hidden code attached to the fort, or settlement added, that specified the deployment zones resulting from it. Which I also don't want. I don't want the fort/settlement to alter anything other than the landscape, but the addition of such a thing just turns the map into a 'Siege Battle'.
    None of the code in the descr_battle.txt seems relevant to what I'm trying to do: shift the fort (or settlement) from the centre of the tile (map). The battle_pos coordinates are like ghost data, i've entered some pretty whacky numbers in there and it doesnt change ANYTHING.
    I'm almost certain that the code I want to edit is locked away in the map.wfc file, which we cannot open like a regular txt doc.

In summary, I believe the code that I need to alter, is locked away in map.wfc, which restricts games with settlements to unwanted 'siege battles', (With the settlement in the centre of the map, which is again, unwanted.) and the placement of forts to disappear for some inexplicable reason.
    I don't know if that link you gave me really answers my questions Ramashan, but thankyou for the input, it is most welcome.

Cheers,
    Robert

P.S. Oh, and btw Mataputas, I found absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the descr_battle.txt file between a map with, and without a fort (both on the same tile).
    Last edited by RoberticusXII; February 08, 2010 at 06:33 PM.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

RoberticusXII;

All I know is that I created a custom settlement overlay and plan and coded it into the vanilla descr_settlement_plans.txt. Then, in the battle editor, I edited the terrain to my liking and placed the settlement where I wanted it to go.

Now, when I launched the custom tile in my mod folder, my troops were placed on the far side of a narrow bit of land I had created going to the settlement in the battle editor. I am about to edit this very city again and will be attempting to repeat what I did, so I'll be able to better remember the steps for you.

As for forts. I didn't use a fort, which works a little different than a settlement, so I would assume, as long as you can chose to place a fort in the battle editor I can't see why it wouldn't have the same affect as the settlement did.

One thing to remember is, the game will always place your army on the southern side of your city. So, if you move the settlement way to the north, perhaps it will appear that the army is further away. But as I said, I will be testing the technique again within the coming weeks and have a better answer.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

I don't know much of settlements editing, but I'm almost sure that there must be a way of using a fort as a settlement... so that it would be present in the custom battle. The only problem is that, in that way, you should at least modify/add a settlement plan.

Quote Originally Posted by RoberticusXII View Post
    P.S. Oh, and btw Mataputas, I found absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the descr_battle.txt file between a map with, and without a fort (both on the same tile).
    What I meant was that when adding a settlement (not a fort, not a regular battle) to the battlefield, the descr_battle.txt will show all that info about the settlement, and when adding a fort, nothing turns up.

Keep us aware of any discovery on the matter...

Hey guys you know how to remove this "incomplete" fort from the map? Because I added it, it doesn't show up in battle, but I can't put anything else on the place of that missing fort.

I'd still like to see a fort in my custom battle of Acrocorinth. Has anybody found a solution?

I solved the problem and now I have all shapes and sizes available.
    Look out for the next version of Rome Total History to see how it works.

In the meantime you get a nice custom battle at the Acrocorinth that will be included in the mod.

Above is the citadel of Acrocorinth, one of the Macedonian fetters of Hellas.

400 Achaeans approaching under Aratus of Sicyon. The hardest thing is to get the ladders up that slope.

The ladders are in place and the men are ready for the assault.

Aratus takes a look at the Gulf of Corinth. To the left is his hometown Sicyon where the expedition started.

Fighting in the moonlight on the walls of the citadel. The Macedonian commander Persaios is rubbing his eyes. Maybe he had a few drinks too many in the evening.

Inside the citadel. Outside the reinforcements from Corinth are rushing up the hill, but they will come too late. In a few minutes Hellas will be free from the Macedonian fetters. In the background you can see the island of Aegina while the sun will soon be rising over the Laureion mountains in Attica.

Great work my friend, it looks beautiful!

how did you solve the prob Philadelphos? it would be great to know myself!
    Check out the Rogue Empire for lets plays and all kinds of other videos!

https://www.youtube.com/user/GraphicsRogue