Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: RELEASE; SPARTA TOTAL WAR 3.5

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: RELEASE; SPARTA TOTAL WAR 3.5

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Or face the wrath of Leonidas himself!:sparta:
    Quote Originally Posted by Agisilaos View Post
    hi ToonTotalWar. i am sure you will like our mod enjoy it and tell us what you think!
    Dont worry guys i am an avid follower of Greek History and i do prefer this era instead of Guns and Cannons!!!
    Unfortunatley i do not know how to mod in RTW?, otherwise i would have been on here earlier! this looks a great mod and with so much snow here in the UK i can see some good game time next week with this mod!!

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Are you saying you need help with installation? If so, I can help you

Are you saying you need help with installation? If so, I can help you
    yeah Im having trouble with this stuff... I really need a hand over here...
    Last edited by Agisilaos; January 10, 2010 at 12:01 PM. Reason: merged double post

Citizen

Alright, the installation is really easy. I'll give you step by step instructions on how to do it.

MANUAL INSTALLATION (you downloaded the .zip file and also recommended for advanced users)
    1. Download the mod (which you already should have done by now)
    2. You should have a file called "SPARTA_TOTAL_WAR_III.V.zip" downloaded on your computer. Open that using a file extraction program. I use 7-zip because it's free and it's very good. You could also use Win-zip, Win-rar, or any program you like.
    3. Extract the "SPARTA" folder to your main Rome Directory

Here's a list of default Rome Directories
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    non-gold "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War"
    gold "C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War"
    windows 7 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War" (turn User Control off if using Windows 7!)

4. Open the "SPARTA" folder that was created in your Rome directory (see above). Paste that on your desktop for easy access.
    5. Double-click the shortcut to play!
    OPTIONAL:
    6. Right-click on the shortcut and click "Properties". Click on "Change Icon". Direct the browser to your "SPARTA" folder and select the "sparta icon image.ico". This will give your shortcut a nice look.

Go to the bottom of this post!
    7. Download the "export_descr_unit.txt" file to your "SPARTA\data" folder.
    8. Download the "expanded.txt" file to your "SPARTA\data\text" folder.
    9. Download the "descr_strat.txt" file to your "SPARTA\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign" folder.

INSTALLER VERSION (recommended for beginner users)
    1. Download the installer (which you already should have done by now)
    2. Double-click the installer. Direct it to your main Rome directory (see step 3 above).
    3. You're done! Go ahead and play
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; January 10, 2010 at 08:19 AM.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

INSTALLER VERSION (recommended for beginner users, but I'm not sure if it is version 3.5)
    Yes, it's 3.5.

Citizen

Dang! Didn't see that. Thanks

niiiice cant wait to try it

TWFonzarelli's Avatar Foederatus

I'm really looking forwards to playing this new mod. It looks fantastic and offers something extra to this RTW gold edition I got recently.

First of all, Hi, first time poster long time reader. Fantastic place you got here. Thanks to everyone working on making RTW THAT much better.

I'm having a problem running STW. The game Loads up just fine, menus and new banners and logos intact. Everything is fine untill the game is finished loading up a battle. Then, it crashes. It's not because i'm on Vista is it?

One time, it made it so far that I could hear the beginnings of a speech, then back to windows.

I used the Installer provided. Maybe its important to note that the game was vanilla before trying to install STW.
    I don't have BI installed on there yet, Is that mandatory?

EDIT: I didn't think adding -show_err -nm -mod:Sparta was necessary because the mod started just fine, after it had finished installing. But after doing so, i've noticed that the background on the main menu had changed(Sweet, by the way).

Now, when battles finish loading, the game still crashes but displays a 'general error' stating something along the lines of missing textures.

What have I done Wrong? I thought the installer was for beginners? I guess i'm an uber-beginner?
    Last edited by TWFonzarelli; January 14, 2010 at 08:12 AM.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by TWFonzarelli View Post
    It's not because i'm on Vista is it?
    No, definitely not. I run it on Vista without issue.

Now, when battles finish loading, the game still crashes but displays a 'general error' stating something along the lines of missing textures.
    We'd be better able to help if you told us what the exact error message is.

Maybe its important to note that the game was vanilla before trying to install STW.
    it is yes, that’s your problem right there! You must upgrade to patch 1.5 as it has different files ~ hence the missing textures.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

That link to change the the roman faction magna grecia symbol to the correct one is no longer hosting the file. Not a real big deal but would like to have the correct symbol if possible. Can't figure out how to do it myself thanks

That link to change the the roman faction magna grecia symbol to the correct one is no longer hosting the file. Not a real big deal but would like to have the correct symbol if possible. Can't figure out how to do it myself thanks
    edit just added the file on the OP

Yea I noticed it had gone a few days ago, to change them just right click on the files then click rename, then ctrl + c to copy the text exactly, then paste the text into your text editor [word or whatever]. Now you have both names copied simply rename both files ~ swap names.

I will make another version soon.
    Last edited by Amorphos; January 17, 2010 at 07:05 AM.
    Formerly quetzalcoatl. Proud leader of STW3 and member of the RTR, FATW and QNS teams.

I've just downloaded the installer, i'm a complete noob at mods, so do i need to download the other files on the first page or not, and if so, where do i put them?
    thanks
    BD

"why not?"

You don’t ‘need’ to add the files but the one called desc_strat corrects a small error but not one that is a problem nor causes ctd. The zip file swaps the factions symbols so that the romans have the correct one, but it doesn’t matter so much once in game.

good luck

Sorry to be a bother but I can't figure out where to put those 2 files that switch the faction symbols. I tried putting them in the ui rome interface folder but it didn't work and I can not find them anywhere in the modfolder. Thanks

no problem

Put them here…

Rome - Total War\SPARTA\Data\menu\symbols

It’s a bit of an education getting this mod going I know, sorry about that.

alternatively you can just copy one over the other in a photo editor.

Please note; you must unpack the game after a fresh install!!

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Brilliant mod!!!!!fantastic detail to units!! well done all and +Rep one happy Toonmeister!!

Lol, thanks man

TWFonzarelli's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    No, definitely not. I run it on Vista without issue.

We'd be better able to help if you told us what the exact error message is.

The error message that appears stays only for a moment, but I can tell that it's referring to missing unit textures.

Quetzalcoatl> I must have misused the word 'vanilla'. The game is patched to 1.5.

Since trying to run STW i've Installed the XGM mod without difficulty and BI as well patched to 1.6.

I guess now I'll uninstall everything and try again from scratch. First, making sure RTW is 1.5(i have RTW GOLD so i think it's 1.5 by default) and then using the STW installer again.

Does that sound about right?

Edit: Quetz, you mentioned in another thread a possible (vista) solution involving copying RTW or STW (not sure which one, maybe both)to a documents folder rather than having the STW shortcut refer to Program Files>The Creative Assembly...

I'm not quite sure what that means.

Am I copying the entire Creative Assembly Folder and it's contents(including SPARTA) to a fresh directory(such as C:\Games\The Creative Assembly...), essentially leaving a copy of both RTW and STW in -C:\program files\The Creative Assembly\Rome AND -C:\Games\The Creative Assembly\Rome?
    Last edited by TWFonzarelli; January 28, 2010 at 05:04 PM.