Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which AI faction tends to be most dominant, in your experience?

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Which AI faction tends to be most dominant, in your experience?

Fighting again TSE is fun isn't it?

Enjoin battle after battle and all of it is a large battle.The problem here is you can lack money to boost your army.

I think if you rally in Skimisher you can defeat them without melee

Macedonia and Iberia dominant Europe in almost all of my games. I'm actually playing a game right now as Saba, but Gauls and Macedonia have pretty much conquered Europe (They're allied), and it's currently 221 BC, and Gaul has already sacked Rome. If the Roman Faction is destroyed, is the Marian Reforms event still possible?

In every game I'm in, Macedonia is always the dominant force, taking out GCS and Thrace out very early. I feel bad for Germany, because it gets annihilated in every single game. I've never seen Rome expand outside of Northern Italy.

It would be nice if more barbarian factions were given the ability to become hordes.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Num13ers View Post
    If the Roman Faction is destroyed, is the Marian Reforms event still possible?
    No.

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Macedon often take out GCS but Thrace is not.Sometime Thrace destroy both Macedon,GCS and rule all Greek

In my game Rome is very powerful.It take Cicily,Corsica and Sardinia (like history).They also take Tarentum and Syracuse too.From the North Roman go offensive into the Gaul and Thrace.They also launch amphibious assaults in Greek

Something must be done with the Iberians.
    Whatever greek fanction i take (Macedonians, GCS, or provincials) the Romans do nothing than expanding in the Italian peninsula, and then just upgrading their cities.. and you see mighty Iberians reaching present Germany.

Alsom, something else, i believe that the relationships between Rome and MAcedon should be changed into war, because when i play Pergamon, you see the Macodons reaching persent Esthonia, and Rome conquering Gaul, but they are not in War, whatever happening

Quote Originally Posted by Graecus View Post
    Something must be done with the Iberians.
    Whatever greek fanction i take (Macedonians, GCS, or provincials) the Romans do nothing than expanding in the Italian peninsula, and then just upgrading their cities.. and you see mighty Iberians reaching present Germany.

Alsom, something else, i believe that the relationships between Rome and MAcedon should be changed into war, because when i play Pergamon, you see the Macodons reaching persent Esthonia, and Rome conquering Gaul, but they are not in War, whatever happening
    it is 195 BC in my current Saba campaign. Iberians have not moved out of Iberia, Gaul is still held by Gaul. The Macedonians looked like they would be the dominant faction in the west early on, but now they are losing the war to Rome. Rome is going to take all of Greece AND northeast europe, and be the top West faction.

I am playing Medium/Medium with No AI Bonuses and No Landbridges, I do not know if difficulty and game settings affect AI faction success.
    Last edited by piranha45; January 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM.

I believe it does because i always playing in Hard/Hard, so, the same thing happens always... Iberians could roule the world.... haha

I play as the greeks, and in my campaign, the roman faction covers from north africa to war with scythia.. im not in war with them as they seems to ignore me and thrace and expand above us.. btw im at war with thrace which is seemingly small after reading other comments(only about what the dacian faction is on rtw vanilla) after i've fought them that is.. anyways... my little "empire" reach from greece, to the scythian faction(not at war but at their border) and down to damascus... however, i SRSLY SRSLY SRSLY hate that the parthian faction only has armies with cataphract archers.... srsly... 18 cataphracts and 2 generals??? cmon..... since even the cataphract archers are stronger than the greek 2nd best cavalry it is pretty much impossible for me to to expand further eastwards.... currently i'm facing (almost) 2 full stacked phract-archers a turn at antioch..... my only way of defending have resorted to 10 units of syrian archers and 8 greek 2nd best cavalry and my 2 family members.... i put the archers on the wall and try to route them so that i dont have to use my cavalry(which i need to save myself from the 2nd army) i really dont know how to get out of this situation.... the only way i can keep a city is if it is strong enough to retrain my men every turn without running out of population.. i really wished they werent so much stronger than my cavalry... and i really wish that the parthians didnt only create cav archers :/ its rly hard..... oO

being the lazy person i am, i've pretty much given up on the campaign after about 30-40 battles at antioch..... the population which was on like 30k when i conquered it... is down to 7k and using other cities to produce both reserve armies which i can switch if there are more than 2 armies... and creating units which i can dispand in antioch to gain populus.... i find it being too much work to do the same thing over and over again to even give it more time :/

dont get me wrong... i really loved the mod... untill this endless situation occurred.... thanks for the mod anyways

Quote Originally Posted by a-woowie.doowie View Post
    I play as the greeks, and in my campaign, the roman faction covers from north africa to war with scythia.. im not in war with them as they seems to ignore me and thrace and expand above us.. btw im at war with thrace which is seemingly small after reading other comments(only about what the dacian faction is on rtw vanilla) after i've fought them that is.. anyways... my little "empire" reach from greece, to the scythian faction(not at war but at their border) and down to damascus... however, i SRSLY SRSLY SRSLY hate that the parthian faction only has armies with cataphract archers.... srsly... 18 cataphracts and 2 generals??? cmon..... since even the cataphract archers are stronger than the greek 2nd best cavalry it is pretty much impossible for me to to expand further eastwards.... currently i'm facing (almost) 2 full stacked phract-archers a turn at antioch..... my only way of defending have resorted to 10 units of syrian archers and 8 greek 2nd best cavalry and my 2 family members.... i put the archers on the wall and try to route them so that i dont have to use my cavalry(which i need to save myself from the 2nd army) i really dont know how to get out of this situation.... the only way i can keep a city is if it is strong enough to retrain my men every turn without running out of population.. i really wished they werent so much stronger than my cavalry... and i really wish that the parthians didnt only create cav archers :/ its rly hard..... oO

being the lazy person i am, i've pretty much given up on the campaign after about 30-40 battles at antioch..... the population which was on like 30k when i conquered it... is down to 7k and using other cities to produce both reserve armies which i can switch if there are more than 2 armies... and creating units which i can dispand in antioch to gain populus.... i find it being too much work to do the same thing over and over again to even give it more time :/

dont get me wrong... i really loved the mod... untill this endless situation occurred.... thanks for the mod anyways
    Well, you can always go into the unit file and alter the values for Parthia and Scythia's forces so that they're ridiculously weak and another faction steamrolls them. I'm considering doing that next time since those are the only two factions which are just pathetic in every way in the mod. It wasn't an issue in my current game because Roman cavalry is fine against Scythia, and Armenia & Baktria wiped out Parthia, but for future games I'm definitely considering it. I don't see how anyone would derive enjoyment out of fighting cav spam and chasing them all over the gd map.

did you ever realize that this two faction NEVER conquer each other? o_O

in my gcs (h/h) the dominant nations are:

north-west: Roman (conquering my cities north of thrace with full stack triarii / principes - me only defending with some weak spearmen + cheap soldiers)

africa: carthage
    arabia: saba+ptolemaic
    north-east: scythia+parthia
    eastern: tse (incredlibe army - big battle in asia minor) MOST DOMINANT BY FAR

note: macedon, thrace, armenia, pontus, eastern kingdom, gaul indis --> wiped out

Hell I've never seen anyone else conquer them either. Once they go horde, it's like the AI loses all interesting in them and doesn't finish the job. Even more weird is that the faction who went horde just sits there the rest of the game.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

I've seen hordes move around before. I think they try to move out of the territory of the faction that took their last settlement and settle somewhere else. However, if they go horde in some distant corner of the map they probably have a path-finding problem, and can't figure out how to reach another faction.

Seen Selecluid ai take all of parthia/Sytchia alone. Financed / helped a german ai invasion of sycthia as rome once.Got fed up with the sycthians always finishing the germans for me ^^
    Usualy in my games Gaul / Selecluids /Sycthia tends to be the dominant ai faction late in the game but all 3 of them might just as well be chrushed by a neighbouring ai faction instead but then that ai faction does not go on to expanding as massivly as gaul/selecluids/sycthia would.
    Another thing ive noticed is that macadon almost always destroys gcs or allys with them in my games.

In my latest roman campaign, where I started the expansion westwards(war against; Gaul and Carthage). The most dominant faction yet seems to be the thracians, they've taken pretty much everything between Scythia, modern Greece and pinned down Germania to a settlement or two. They engaged me at Patavium which I use as a fortress from them(since they pretty much have to take Patavium to move on into Italy, that is a great place to hold them off, espessially when I've got a fort between Patavium and the thracian settlement east of Patavium. Meanwhile I'm now conquering Greece and I'll soon move on to Asia Minor(Turkey) so that I can control the whole Aegan sea, which is the absolute best source for trading income in any Rome Total War game. Other two places would be around Italy down to north Africa(which I rank as the 3rd best trade-income source) and if one control the coastal cities from Siwa to southern Turkey, which would be the 2nd best trade-income source.

Lol..... I think I just created a little and already obvious guide.

Makuramanche's Avatar Libertus

In my campaigns it's always the Romans who dominate every land they can find. Sometime's Iberia grows large and moves into Gaul and N.Africa but eventually get's eaten by the Romans. In my campaign Thracian's almost always go on a blitzkrieg conquering lands as far as Lithuania (Baltic sea) but eventually gets eaten up by the Macedon in the South and the Germans in the North. But in the end it's always the Romans.

DimebagHo said that Romans get an extra money bonus compared to the other AIs, which explains why they are always the dominant faction in the end

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

while playing an all ai game carthage and TSE became dominant (carthage controling france, italy, africa and spain while the rest was in tse hands not including the 1 island settlement owned by saba) however saba somehow managed to crush TSE while all their northern lands were rebelling leaving saba in control of the entire map
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    while playing an all ai game carthage and TSE became dominant (carthage controling france, italy, africa and spain while the rest was in tse hands not including the 1 island settlement owned by saba) however saba somehow managed to crush TSE while all their northern lands were rebelling leaving saba in control of the entire map
    Well that is interesting, do you have a screen shot of that? That's almost as bizarre as one of my games where the Eastern Kingdom overran Egypt out of nowhere after TSE got annihilated.

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

unfortunatly i didnt get a screenshot and every time i try and recreate it carthage declares war on thrace (before they stayed allied which meant they never moved east once they took france) and TSE doesnt attack TPE (which means they end up with more units to chuck at saba)
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

Parthia and Scythia. I'm currently playing with Macedonia and I've seen them get to big, so I made an alliance with Thrace and we are both fighting these two factions. It's really stupid trying to fight them. Whatever I use, I end up chasing them for hours. Really stupid! All I'm doing is sending a stack after stack in their territories and just make a fort. Basically, just standing there to make sure I halt their advance to Europe will I slowly take all of Europe with Rome.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast