Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Which AI faction tends to be most dominant, in your experience?

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Which AI faction tends to be most dominant, in your experience?

Actually Civic Light infantry are usable unit if you have something to shield them. They also cheap and easy to train

The other kind of troops is Nuragic? warriors who can be recruit in Corsica and Sardinia. They're very useful and only take a few turns to bring them to Italy

Quote Originally Posted by nhinhonhinho View Post
    Actually Civic Light infantry are usable unit if you have something to shield them. They also cheap and easy to train
    I really don't think so. Numidan, Nuragic (thanks for bringing them up, I forgot) and Italic are all better javelin units, and even cheaper and easier to train. Only steppe infantry have lower melee attack, and almost any actual infantry unit has better defense. Only if you want bad versions of all three in one unit are they worth having.

Again after the marian reforms they become an average light infantry unit, but until then avoid them like the plague!

Pinkie Pie's Avatar Comes Limitis

I think they are quite good if used from behind your heavy civic infantry as a skirmish unit.
    Have your heavy civic infantry in front on defensive mode and order your light civics to fire over the top, when you deem it right send them to both flanks and roll up the enemy line.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "Me? Ruin? I'm not the ruiner, I'm the ruinee! Or is it ruinness? Ruinette?"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"
    "Oh my gosh. Hold on to your hooves – I am just about to be brilliant!"

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by martin616 View Post
    I think they are quite good if used from behind your heavy civic infantry as a skirmish unit.
    Have your heavy civic infantry in front on defensive mode and order your light civics to fire over the top, when you deem it right send them to both flanks and roll up the enemy line.
    The old and simple yet effective tactic . The only problem here is you need to attack fast so your enemy don't have higher tier units!

Anyway it's true that local AOR are better. For example to conquer Italy use Nuragic and Roman AOR units, then when you mess with Hellenic factions (GCS, Indi Greek, MAC, Thrace, SE) just use Hellenic AOR unit

True but ive never really been into mercs or AOR units (probably why i have difficulty playing carthage).
    If im correct, Africa has 2 AOR units though that are better versions of the civic infantry units
    Libyan light infantry and lybian heavy infantry.
    Last edited by Pinkie Pie; April 18, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
    "I, Pinkie Pie, declare that these treats are fit for a king, or a queen, or a princess!"
    "She's ahead of the litter all right. The pick of the litter. The cat's pajamas. Oh wait. Why would Applejack take some poor kitty's pj's? That's not very sporting of her."
    "More balloons! No, that's too many balloons. More candy! No, less candy. Ooh! I know! Streamers!"

True but ive never really been into mercs or AOR units (probably why i have difficulty playing carthage).
    If im correct, Africa has 2 AOR units though that are better versions of the civic infantry units
    Libyan light infantry and lybian heavy infantry.
    Yup, but I rarely use the Libyans except for the initial battles in Sicily and Italy. After the reforms civic units become almost as good as they are, so I don't usually invest in them too heavily. The AI can recruit them everywhere though. The Spanish and Roman AOR troops are certainly worth having permanent armies out of though, so build them up as soon as you can recruit them.

If you don't appreciate the difficultly, I've been working on a sub mod that adds some more variety if not quality to their roster. The lack of missile units is what really makes Carthage a pain to play as (as not all AORs have them), so just making the Numidians recruitable outside of Africa helped a lot.

What about giving them access to the "eastern archer"?

Playing as the greeks with version 5.9.20, ive found the iberians and scythians to be most dominant. I think the independant greeks would have been most dominant had I not crushed them

Here's my current campaign as Rome. Thrace was doing much better before I took about 10 or so settlements from them in the last few turns.

Generally Scythia does best though. This is the first time I've ever seen Armenia not get completely obliterated by them.

What about giving them access to the "eastern archer"?
    Numidians have an archer unit and it really makes more sense, as they made up the light units for most Carthaginian armies (possibly with some Iberians mixed in as well).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234