Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pat Robertson at it again

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Default Pat Robertson at it again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4177664.stm

All I can say is, "wow." I always thought Pat Robertson was a bit nutty, but now I know that he's a jack*** on top of all that. I wasn't aware that criticizing the US government was tantamount to an act of war.
    Last edited by Ardeur; August 23, 2005 at 11:58 AM.

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Very right wing nut, this one. And they say the Iranian Ayatollah is bad...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Quote Originally Posted by MoROmeTe the Dacian
    Very right wing nut, this one. And they say the Iranian Ayatollah is bad...
    Difference being the Iranian Ayatollah controls all of Iran and Pat Roberson simply has a tv show and some old ladies watching him.

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

And CNN talking about him and Chavez saying he sees this as more rivalry from the USA...

I agree there's a difference of power, but still, as far as extremism goes they are on the level. Extremist Christians are as bad as Extremist Islamists.

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

yeah, and pat robertson doesn't have access to weapons' grade uranium refining plants. he's just a fool that no one's going to pay attention to. let's all pray for his demise

Never underestimate the fighting power of little old ladies. They will kick you when your down and then laugh at you.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

Yeah, and remember that old ladies can whack you with their handbags. They can also run you over with their huge Lincolns and Buicks and blame it on their poor reflexes or eyesight.

Pat Robertson, hm? Well many people know rotten.com's blood n guts pix, but they also have this very nice library, which has to say the following about the man: http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/re...pat-robertson/

Quote Originally Posted by MoROmeTe the Dacian
    And CNN talking about him and Chavez saying he sees this as more rivalry from the USA...

I agree there's a difference of power, but still, as far as extremism goes they are on the level. Extremist Christians are as bad as Extremist Islamists.
    How can they be as bad if they lack the power and the determination to do anything about their views other then rant? Pat Robertson might in fact call upon the death of someone but he wont actually do it or organize it because he is values himself and all the $ he pulls in from saying such things too much, he is basically a loud mouth coward. Does someone who says they are going out and kill 20 people at the mall just as bad as someone who actually goes out and does it?

Pat Robertson is who I would call, like the Dead Kennedys song, "Religious Vomit" along with Jerry "Fat" Fawell, James "Focus On The Fascism" Dobson, and Fred "God Hates Fags" Phelps. If he were in control, this country would be like the Taliban.

Its funny how Pat hates Chavez but liked Liberia's Charles Taylor.
    SecureROM is stupid....

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo Lives
    Never underestimate the fighting power of little old ladies. They will kick you when your down and then laugh at you.
    I sense an Islamic Jihadist vs Blue Haired American Grandmas poll!

Actually, it can be as bad. While he may not actually organize the deed itself, there are plenty of non-rational thinkers that follow his words like they where Gods own. Unfortunately to many people with no real sense of responsibility beyond the all mighty dollar hide behind the right of 'Freedom of speech'.

Quote Originally Posted by danzig
    I sense an Islamic Jihadist vs Blue Haired American Grandmas poll!

Oh god no! LOL.

Please don't double-post. Just click the EDIT button if you find you have more to say. -Ardeur
    Last edited by Ardeur; August 23, 2005 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Double-Post merge

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

And this guy actually claims to be a christian ?
    And there are people who believe him ?!

http://www.ihatepatrobertson.com/

Good blog site about religious vomit.
    SecureROM is stupid....

I think that Robertson needs to re-read his 10 commandments again, "thou shall never... kill". So according to him, this Chavez dude is spreading both communism and radical Islam in Latin America. That makes a lot of sense that someone would promote two ideologies that are so diametrically opposed to one another. Robertson makes about as much sense as his beloved book does.

I actually saw him say that when I was watching TV yesterday morning. I think it's pretty funny that everyone is making such a big deal over it. It's a huge news story that Pat Robertson said someone should get killed, but never mind the fact that Chavez has become a dictator, no on cares about that apparently. The media is a funny thing sometimes. If you had seen the rest of their report on Chavez, you would have heard things about how Chavez openly criticizes the US, Capitalism etc., how he has close ties with Castro, how he takes away freedom of speech, and how Chavez threatens to stop giving oil to the US, and I guess all of this isn't worthy of being mentioned much on the news. But when Pat Robertson says something, STOP THE PRESSES! I can't believe this is on the front page of BBC News' website, it's comical really...

I'm not saying I agree with Pat Robertson, but I certainly think people are blowing this WAY out of proportion considering that he's just one guy on TV who made an outrageous comment- Something done almost constantly on the 24 hour news networks and such. And it's not like Pat Robertson was obsessing on it and trying to whip people up or anything. But everyone on this forum jumps on him.

I'd love to see some of you people on TV... Maybe the BBC should write some articles about some of the stuff people post on this forum.

I wonder if it was someone who was not a conservative Christian who made the same comments if it would have made such a big news story?

Quote Originally Posted by GodNeptune
    I think that Robertson needs to re-read his 10 commandments again, "thou shall never... kill". So according to him, this Chavez dude is spreading both communism and radical Islam in Latin America. That makes a lot of sense that someone would promote two ideologies that are so diametrically opposed to one another. Robertson makes about as much sense as his beloved book does.
    thou shalt not kill is contradicted many times in the bible where they tell you to kill people for doing dispicable acts, and then tell those of you without sin to cast the first stone (jesus?), and then tells you everyone is born of sin thanks to eve (thanks eve)

Ardeur's Avatar Chattering in Chinese

I wonder if it was someone who was not a conservative Christian who made the same comments if it would have made such a big news story?
    I think if that were the case, the statement would actually be given serious consideration. I don't agree with much about Pat Robertson, but if this statement were not coming from someone who could be portrayed as a religious nut, I'd be willing to bet a strong swell of support would rally behind the speaker. "After all," they'd say, "we don't want another Iraq, covert removal of the dicator would be much better for our nation than another Iraq."

But as it stands, the remark was made by Pat Robertson, and as such, as The Knight so perfectly laid out, the focus is in the wrong place, and people ignore the fact that it really might be an idea worth considering.

thou shalt not kill is contradicted many times in the bible where they tell you to kill people for doing dispicable acts, and then tell those of you without sin to cast the first stone (jesus?), and then tells you everyone is born of sin thanks to eve (thanks eve)
    I think you both are quick to misinterpret Scripture. At its origin, the phrase is more accurately read as an order not to murder, not an order against killing. In fact, God's prescription of death as a penalty for some sins in the Old Testament was evidence of this, not in opposition to it. The situation where Jesus said to let he who is without sin cast the first stone was a statement of authority. Under the New Testament, men do not have the authority to sit in judgement over another's sins. And the original sin is shared between Adam and Eve. Why would they both be punished if it was all Eve's fault?

If you are going to argue, using Scripture as your argument, I'd suggest you do so a little more thoroughly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardeur
    If you are going to argue, using Scripture as your argument, I'd suggest you do so a little more thoroughly.
    But in this case, the statement stands because assasination IS murder.

Well, this Robertson guy is supposedly one of the president's "sprititual" advisors. I'm sure that his political views or political directives that he has recieved from "above" never come up when he is having an intimate discussion with Bush about Armageddon or the Rapture. Robertson is not just some clown on television, as he and his cohorts have the money and the "moral" authority to exert tremendous influence over politicians. And Chavez might not be an ideal president, but he was elected by 70% of his country and has improved the lot of the poor. Removing another elected president from power in S. America while championing democracy elsewhere would make the US look like the biggest hypocrites.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast