Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Merging parts of models in MilkShape 3D

Default Re: Merging parts of models in MilkShape 3D

No I haven't tried that, somehow I missed it. I'll try it when I have the time and let you know what happens. Thanks.

No that doesn't work either. I'm pretty sure it's the converter. I've seen people say that after updating the converter it solves the problem, but I've tried all the updates :/

I'm not sure though as I have no idea what the 'IndexError' means.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Do you have try the converter with other vanilla models ?

As I'm back home, you can send me your model, I will have a look.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

I just tried it with vanilla and it worked so I was wrong it's not the converter. Ok thanks, how can I send it to you?

Patrician Artifex

Upload the file with filesonic or in TWC download section and send me the link in a private message.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

Wangrin i managed to convert the files into ms3d and loaded them with the program, but now i see a multitude of lines sticking out of the model that are blocking my view of the model it self how can i remove all those lines?
    Thanks again, of course i still dont even know how to start the modification process but i will read carefully this tutorial and hopefully it will help me.
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Patrician Artifex

This is a well known problem.

Solution:
    Go to Files > Preferences > Misc
    Set the Joint Size parameter to 0.025

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    This is a well known problem.

Solution:
    Go to Files > Preferences > Misc
    Set the Joint Size parameter to 0.025
    thank you very much once more Wangrin!

Iam a bit confused cause what i see in your video tutorial wangrin and what i read in this tutorial thread is quite different, several parts are missing from that tutorial compared to the videos , and i must watch-read them carefully both in order to understand what exactly is going on here.
    Is there any other video tutorials you have made, or any tutorial that teaches how to make 3d models like bags for eg from scracth?

Patrician Artifex

It the reason why I've creatre the "video".
    I have had some problems to understand how to merge models using this thread.
    Hopefully, I was particularly helped by Joedreck who teach me some little "tricks"

I've planed to work on some other tutorials like "how to create a 3D model using MilkShape", "How to create new UVMap and textures" but I cannot find enough free time.

Hi

I just stumbled on this thread because I'd like to make 17th century style cavalry by mixing heads and bodies of different units. But I have no experience with milkshape or any of this sort of thing. Is it relatively straightforward or best left to the experts?

Patrician Artifex

MilkShape is easy to use, particularly if you only merge parts from existing bodies.

You can have a look to this thread too : [Tutorial] Modeling. Milkshape and UU3D. How I use them
    You can also use this tutorial : [TUTO] W.I.P Merging models

Thanks for the tips, the tutorials are really helpful. I've created a new mesh and converted it back into the mesh file but how do I assign it to a unit model using PFM? I'm guessing it needs to go in the warscape_animated_lod table?

Patrician Artifex

To create a unit you need :

1. warscape_animated_lod_tables :
      • create 4 lines for your model (lod1 (range = 5), lod2 (range = 10); lod3 range = 15) and lod4 (range = 0))
        OR
      • create one line for lod1 model but with 0 as range value, this means that the game will use lod1 model for all ranges
    2. warcape_animated_tables :
      • create one line for your model where you define its texture file path
    3. units_tables :
      • create one line for your unit
    4. [OPTIONAL] battle_personalities_tables :
      • use it to create a specific officer/msucian/flag_bearer model
    5. units_stats_land_tables :
      • create one line for your unit where you will define models you use for officer/musician/flag bearer/private
    6. units_to_grouping_military_permissions_tables
    7. unit_to_unit_abilities_junctions_tables
    8. building_units_allowed_tables

I'm familiar with stages 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8, but could you explain a bit more about the other ones please?

Patrician Artifex

Step 1 : warscape_animated_lod_tables

The first thing to do when you want to create a new unit is to define what models the unit will use.

In ETW, a unit use 4 model variants, depending of the distance between unit and camera (player) to optimize computer resources use.
    • Lod1 is the most detailed model and is use for very short range (range = 5)
    • Lod2 is slightly less detailed than lod1 and is use for short range (range = 10)
    • Lod3 is less detailed than lod2 and is use for medium range (range = 15)
    • Lod4 is the less detailed model and is use for long distance (range = 0 means "infinite)

In practice, we can use only lod1 and we need only one line assigning the model to range = 0.
    This means that the model will be use for all distance.

The problem when you use only lod1 is that you use always a highly detailed model. So, if you have a lot of troops on your battlemap, the computer can have some problems to manage htem.

A compromise is to create use a lod1 and lod3 models.
    The difference between lod1 and lod3 means you can see a "gap" when the game engine switch from lod1 to lod3.

In db tables :
    row 1 : key, simply copy paste one of the vanilla key and use it for all your model's lod
    row 2 : filename, this is the path to the model file you want to use
    row 3 : range, from short to infinite range, 5, 10, 15, 0
    row 4 : animated, this is the model name. Note that model name is not necessary the same than unit name.

Step 2 : warcape_animated_tables

You have to define what texture use for the model you have define in warscape_animated_lod_tables.

row 1 : key (animated from row 4), this is the model name you have define in the 4th row from warscape_animated_lod_tables
    row 2 : texture_filename_base, this is the file path to the texture you want to use
    row 3 : category, this is necessary animation for a man.

Step 4 : battle_personalities_tables

This table is use to define special characters such as officer, musician and flagbearer.

row 1 : key
    row 2 : soldier model
    row 3 : man_animations_table can be personality_officer, personality_camel_officer, personality_elephant_officer, personality_naval_captain, personality_flutist, personality_standard_bearer, personality_bugler, personality_drummer, man_pitchfork, man_axe, rider_axe, rider_musket_axe, rider_archer_axe, etc.
    All those animations are define in main pack I thought, but as my main computer is down, I can not tell you where exactly.
    row 4 : equipment_theme such as x_sword_pistol_only or euro_drummer, are define in warscape_equipment_themes tables.
    row 5 : type can be officer, naval_officer, admiral, standard_bearer, bugler, drummer, flutist

Again, thanks for your help. I`m getting there, ive put a helmet onto the pikeman body but it just shows up the same colour as the coat. How can i make it metal-coloured?

Patrician Artifex

You have to modify the UVMap when you add new vertex group.
    You can use the texture editor from MilkShape to do this.
    Then, you will simply have to modify textures files (diffuse, gloss_map and normal).

If I remember, I have explained how to use MilkShape texture editor at the end of the tutorial (the .swf file).

Slor's Avatar Civis

Not very experienced using MS3D, but I have a question about merging just objects/groups. Say you want to create one file that has multiple styles(maybe 5 or more different types) of fences, but you only want to merge one selected type at a time to a new file you're working on. Is this possible? I've tried group selection/hide and i dont really see any more options for what I'm looking for. I figured this way would save time, but as for now I'm stuck using individual files for everything.

Patrician Artifex

It is important to differentiate 3d files types used by ETW.

1. variant_weighted_mesh files are used for
      • units
      • equipments

2. rigid_model files are used for :
      • buildings (battlemap and campaign map)
      • deployable items (battlemap)
      • destroyed engines models (destroyed cannons, etc.)

3. animatable_rigid_model files (or something like that) are used for engines in game
    4. rigid_model_animation files are used as destruction animation for engines, buildings and ships

Moreover, ETW use cs2.parsed files to define collision models plus some other characteristics.
    I've try to use CS2 converter from Assembly Kit, as cs2.parsed files from S2TW and NTW can be used in ETW, but we have problem with CA's converter.

Notes that, depending of file types, variants are allowed or not, or are managed using different systems.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast