Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner tips for playing Europa Universalis III

Default Beginner tips for playing Europa Universalis III

Hi everyone, I bought a digital copy of Europa Universalis III and Hearts of Iron 2 Complete on STEAM two months ago, but I've never managed to grasp certain gameplay concepts and elements.

I'm planning to spend more time playing Europa Universalis III first before trying Hearts of Iron II, and have already completed some tutorial missions.

However, I'm still not sure what to do in the game. Does anyone have any good suggestions/tips/advice?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm sure that if I bought a hard copy, I'd understand the games better from the manual : P Unfortunately, I couldn't find any copies here in Canada.
    Last edited by Antissa; November 27, 2009 at 05:21 PM.

Sevasti's Avatar Biarchus
    They tell me it's a regular building but it sways like a house of cards when the wind blows

Default Re: Beginner tips for playing Europa Universalis III

In no particular order, some of the basics:
    • There should be a manual in:
      C:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis\

• Hopefully you have noticed that you have two separate kind of incomes, monthly and annual. Don't go to great lengths to try to get positive income on a monthly basis as this will most likely drive up your inflation (really bad). As long as you go plus at the end of the year you can consider it a good year. Be aware though that you won't always be that lucky.

• Be aware of your prestige. Keep up the diplomacy and never move too hasty to your goals. Repercussions in Universalis are far more severe than in Total War series. For example, if you lack a Casus Belli when declaring a war towards a nation, your stability will plunge (not good at all). There are several ways to get what you want in different situations. If you want a war but have no legitimate reason to declare it yourself then use spies to fabricate claims, or insult the nation in question or see if they're allied with a nation that you could declare war on with no severe penalties.

• Keep up the tech. As long as you don't go bankrupt make sure that you invest in techs, you don't want to fall behind in the tech race.

• While in peace, lower the upkeep for your army and navy. Lots of money to save there.

• When being invaded, find out if the enemy suffers from attrition. If this is the case then you can take your time and wait until his army has been reduced in size before attacking.

• Make alliances but be careful when deciding, it's not always that fun to be dragged into a war because your ally is a warmonger.

• Trade if you don't have a good basis for production. Produce if you have nothing to trade. Preferably both if you have good enough regions for both.

• Invest wisely in your advisors. Just because one of them serves your overall purpose does not mean he is non-expandable for someone who can help you with a present problem.

• Be prepared to lose some wars, there's no escaping it. Focus on revenge when the time is right.

Small tip: When setting the economic sliders you can right click on any slider. This will lock them at the fixed position so you don't have to pause and recheck your financial screen all the time.

Big tip: Read the manual when there's something you're wondering about. I won't pretend, I haven't read it all myself. I'll finish it one day, I promise! But seriously, read it whenever you need some clarification of something.
    Last edited by Sevasti; December 06, 2009 at 11:10 PM.

Et sekund er som et minutt her inne
    Minutt som en time. Time som et døgn
    Og du trur du ser ting å så klart
    Eg seier ikkje ett ord til før eg får en advokat

A tip about sliders:

When you have less than +3 stability (and are thus investing towards stability), and reach +3, your treasury (minting slider) may jump up on it's own, even if it's fixed.

So check your treasury slider every time you reach +3 stability.

Don't go to war too much. Check your reputation, you can find it the same place you see who rules the country, the country's flag, what religion it is etc. It should say something along the lines of "We have a bad reputation" and so on. Hover over it and it will give you some numbers. You don't want the first number to be higher than the other. 39/30 = BAD, 10/30 = GOOD. If you're above the number every nation has a cassus belli on you.
    Have you ever seen Dirty Harry Guns and money are best diplomacy
    "At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Bill Shankly

"Not badly, considering I was seated between Jesus Christ and Napoleon"

David Lloyd George was pleased with his performance at Versailles.

Thanks for the tips/advice ; )

Don't expand too fast. If you go into the game with the TW attitude of blitzing countries whenever possible you are going to find late-game success a lot more difficult as bigger countries have slower research rates, you'll probably have more rebellions, and you will probably have a very hard time managing finances. Build a strong foundation before you go out to conquer the world, and always try and have lots of money.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Yes, not to mention the BB.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Hounf of Culan View Post
    Don't expand too fast. If you go into the game with the TW attitude of blitzing countries whenever possible you are going to find late-game success a lot more difficult as bigger countries have slower research rates, you'll probably have more rebellions, and you will probably have a very hard time managing finances. Build a strong foundation before you go out to conquer the world, and always try and have lots of money.
    Not really, the problem is that big countries should not mint - minting only kills your research rate.

There are not many tips except playing a big country for your first few runs. Manual is not necessary (I never read manual once for my EU gaming history) but would be helpful, if not confusing sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Well I've started playing my second game in EU3 (the first was cut short by a trojan), I'm playing as England and I've beaten up and made Scotland my vassal. The only problem is I'm also locked in a War with France and Burgundy who, thanks to Portugal, have a 16% warscore advantage against me and I kind of don't know how to fix the situation. They have twice the amount of troops I have, they can't cross the channel but it's still rather problematic.

Also how does this tech stuff work exactly?

At some level or another I'm pretty sure all the different techs unlock a new building which have a variety of effects, like making a production province more profitable, increasing manpower from that province, decreasing revolt risk, increasing taxation efficiency, etc and all these things are very important. The tech tree is also very similar to the tech tree in ETW in some ways, unlocking new infantry, cavalry, artillery and ships which will give you a decisive edge in battle. Last but not least gov't tech unlocks new national idea slots which offer the player a way to significantly impact the overall strategy for their country. A country like Prussia should probably focus on land oriented national ideas to juice up their manpower, discipline and unit cost reduction abilities and some banking NIs. Whereas someone like Portugal or Castille should probably focus on a combination of colonization and trade NIs to manage their farflung colonial empires. You can change them if you wish but you take a huge stability hit for doing so. Personally I found it helpful to just start a game as say Portugal or Prussia in 1700 and just look at the 12 or so NIs they already have to get an understanding of what makes a continental behemoth like Prussia different from colonial Portugal. It can also be really fun to make someone like Prussia a colonizer or make Portugal have the worlds premier army.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

I'm surprised at how easy a war is to end in this game, I got used to HoI2 where it was basically permanent. France, Burgundy, Portugal, Castille all off my back with the loss of only one province. From there I've been able to take two provinces (Connacht/Leinster other two have been diplo vassal) in Ireland and soon I'm going to kidney punch Brittany and perhaps Savoy.

I made quite a few enemies so early in the game... I'm guessing that's really bad?

As long as you maintain naval supremacy, your home should be safe, and you'll win a few naval engagements to contribute to your war score. If they occupy your overseas terriotories, just hold out until the leader of the alliance agrees to a white peace, or pay them some money.

What's the deal with minting and the treasury? And how can I increase my income?

I've just started a grand campaign with England, any suggestions and help? I'm thinking of vassalising Scotland, then attacking Armanac and take parts of France.
    Last edited by Dr. Croccer; December 08, 2009 at 09:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Croccer View Post
    What's the deal with minting and the treasury? And how can I increase my income?
    Minting would increase inflation, which in term increase all price for anything. There are yearly and monthy income, minting means you do not put all monthly income into research.

For increasing income, there are a few ways:

1. Build improvement for your provinces.

2. Get new province by whatever way.

3. Fight a war, then bully your opponent for some money.

I've just started a grand campaign with England, any suggestions and help? I'm thinking of vassalising Scotland, then attacking Armanac and take parts of France.
    I don't even bother to vassal Scotland; the thing is, Scotland AI is setting to start war against England using whatever mean reasons. Fine, that gives me a legal reason to annex it by two wars and create Great Britain earlier.

After that England should either be a colonial power (slow but very powerful in late game) or bad boy (extremely messy, but you can gain alot in term). France is extremely powerful in early game so don't even try to mess it up until you are powerful enough in mid or late game, which French Empire generally is broken at that time.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

Okay, so vassaling Scotland isn't much use and neither is trying to invade France. Considering that my tech levels dont allow new buildings, expansion in Ireland seems a starting point.
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,

Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,

When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,

Eh I got vassal Scotland as a mission, I'll just diplo annex them in a few years just like I am the rest of Ireland.

Okay, so vassaling Scotland isn't much use and neither is trying to invade France. Considering that my tech levels dont allow new buildings, expansion in Ireland seems a starting point.
    Problem is, all Irish states are allied with Britanny. Whatever, I'll risk it.

Zoals oude bomen zingen,

Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,

Then I'm God.

Brittany is very weak they won't even have enough troops to match your manpower level much less what you field. Just make sure you stop them from dropping off troops in Ireland as that will make your job a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Eh I got vassal Scotland as a mission, I'll just diplo annex them in a few years just like I am the rest of Ireland.
    Diplo-annex Scotland:

Pro:1. Less Badboy point (really not matter if you only annex one country).

Con:1. Longer time for unification - longer time to get Great Britain.
    2. No guarantee Scotland would agree annex using diplomate.
    3. Formation of Great Britain gives you core on Scotland and Ireland = a lot more money.
    4. Since Scotland is programmed to attack you, there is no risk of losing stability.

Overall, annex Scotland in two wars is far better than diplo-annex, both in short and long term.

Also, for Great Britain I highly recommand using aggressive colonization - means you simply send all colonist to occupy as many as land possible at beginning instead focus on a few colonial provinces.
    Last edited by hellheaven1987; December 08, 2009 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamos View Post
    Brittany is very weak they won't even have enough troops to match your manpower level much less what you field. Just make sure you stop them from dropping off troops in Ireland as that will make your job a pain in the ass.
    Well I DOW'd Tyrone, and I invaded their province with a 7.000 mixed army against thei 1.000 inf, needless to say, I won and besieged their fort. I then attacked the Breton 5.000 army with my 8.000 army in the province which bordered my French ones and defeated them. After besieging those provinces for a while, everything seemed to go swimmingly.

Then the French DOW'ed me. I stopped playing when I saw that and their 10.000 or so army positioned next to my province.

Okay, new plan. I'll diplomatically harass Scotland into attacking me, and then annex them in two wars.

Zoals oude bomen zingen,

Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,

Then I'm God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast