Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spain - Discussion Thread

Salvo's Avatar Maréchal de l'Empire

Default Spain - Discussion Thread

Spain Discussion Threath

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Philip V, the first Bourbon king, of French origin, signed the Decreto de Nueva Planta in 1715, a new law that revoked most of the historical rights and privileges of the different kingdoms that formed the Spanish Crown, specially Crown of Aragon, unifying them under the laws of Castile, where the Cortes had been more receptive to the royal wish. Spain became culturally and politically a follower of absolutist France. The rule of the Spanish Bourbons continued under Ferdinand VI and Charles III. Great influence was exerted over Elisabeth of Parma on Spain's foreign policy. Her principal aim was to have Spain's lost territories in Italy restored. She eventually received Franco-British support for this after the Congress of Soissons.
    Under the rule of Charles III and his ministers, Leopoldo de Gregorio, Marquis of Esquilache and José Moñino, Count of Floridablanca, Spain embarked on a program of enlightened despotism that brought Spain a new prosperity in the middle of the eighteenth century. Fearing that Britain's victory over France in the Seven Years War threatened the European balance of power, Spain allied themselves to France but suffered a series of military defeats and ended up having to cede Florida to the British at the Treaty of Paris. Despite being on the losing alongside France against the British in the Seven Years' War, Spain recouped most of her territorial losses in the American Revolutionary War, and gained an improved international standing.

However, the reforming spirit of Charles III was extinguished in the reign of his son, Charles IV, seen by some as mentally handicapped. Dominated by his wife's lover, Manuel de Godoy, Charles IV embarked on policies that overturned much of Charles III's reforms. After briefly opposing Revolutionary France early in the French Revolutionary Wars, Spain was cajoled into an uneasy alliance with its northern neighbor, only to be blockaded by the British. Charles IV's vacillation, culminating in his failure to honour the alliance by neglecting to enforce the Continental System led to Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, invading Spain in 1808, thereby triggering Spain's War of Independence.

During most of the eighteenth century Spain had made substantial progress since its steady decline in the latter part of the 17th century, under an increasingly inept Habsburg dynasty. But despite the progress, it continued to lag in the political and mercantile developments then transforming other parts of Europe, most notably in the United Kingdom, France and the Low Countries. The chaos unleashed by the Napoleonic intervention would cause this gap to widen greatly.

Faction Overview

Land Army:
    Experienced army,
    Navy:
    Good navy,
    Economy:
    Most of the income comes from colonies and trade, threra are also gold mines in homelands,

New Units:

[IMG][/IMG]
    Units are separated into early and late which will make them differ with statistics.
    With the 18th century moving on, the uniforms of all European armies were changing. The 'early' infrantry units' look will be based on historical sources from years 1700-1730, while the 'late' units will have their look based on sources concerning years 1757-1789.
    I'm compareing units frome the same class and writting their advantages and dissadvantages.
    When unit's statistics are similar to other units from the same class I don't write anything.

Infantry
    Early Line Infantry
    Advantages:
    High number of soldiers in unit.
    Disadvantages:
    Average.

Pikeman

Late Line Infantry, Regimento de Sevilla
    Advantages:
    Disadvantages:
    Average.

Late Line Infantry, Regimento de Soria
    Advantages:
    Good morale, good in close combat.
    Disadvantages:
    Average.

Wallon Guard
    Advantages:
    Good morale.
    Disadvantages:
    Average.

Cavalry
    Mousquetaires de la Garde

List of new states and provinces (plans):

- Spain - Gibraltar (Gibraltar), Flanders & Brabant (Brussels), Lombardy (Milan), Naples (Naples), Sardinia (Cagliari), Sicily (Palermo), Andalusia (Seville), Catalonia (Barcelona), Castile (Madrid), León (León), Aragon (Saragossa), Valencia (Valencia), Basque Country (Pamplona)
    Changes in America:
    - split Hispaniola to Dominicana (spanish) - Santo Domingo and Haiti (french) - L'Hôpital

Outline:

Any feedback is welcomed
    Last edited by Salvo; November 30, 2009 at 08:06 AM.

carricanta's Avatar Going Nowhere Fast!

Default Re: Spain - Discussion Thread

Thanks
    I have good news fort You friend, I'm going to add some new Spanish units to the new version

Thanks Salvo, i am full of pictures of these armies

Suggestions
    1. I believe that the unit "Frontiersman" could be called, " Dragones de Cuera" and that could there be two types: infantry and cavalry
    2. The piqueros can´t got rucksack nor bicorn because these units were really obsolete to the beginning of the 19th century
    3. To change the name of the spanish units with the names in spanish language:

Wallon Guard = Guardias Valonas Spanish pikemen = Piqueros Mousquetaires of the Garde (?) = Mosqueteros de la Guardia (i promise real uniforms for the Guardias)

Thank you

Suggestions
    1. I believe that the unit "Frontiersman" could be called, " Dragones de Cuera" and that could there be two types: infantry and cavalry
    2. The piqueros can´t got rucksack nor bicorn because these units were really obsolete to the beginning of the 19th century
    3. To change the name of the spanish units with the names in spanish language:

Wallon Guard = Guardias Valonas Spanish pikemen = Piqueros Mousquetaires of the Garde (?) = Mosqueteros de la Guardia (i promise real uniforms for the Guardias)
    1/2
    OK, thanks
    I'm thinking of solution I used by late line infantry, look below
    Updated:

Spain Discussion Threath

Philip V, the first Bourbon king, of French origin, signed the Decreto de Nueva Planta in 1715, a new law that revoked most of the historical rights and privileges of the different kingdoms that formed the Spanish Crown, specially Crown of Aragon, unifying them under the laws of Castile, where the Cortes had been more receptive to the royal wish. Spain became culturally and politically a follower of absolutist France. The rule of the Spanish Bourbons continued under Ferdinand VI and Charles III. Great influence was exerted over Elisabeth of Parma on Spain's foreign policy. Her principal aim was to have Spain's lost territories in Italy restored. She eventually received Franco-British support for this after the Congress of Soissons.
    Under the rule of Charles III and his ministers, Leopoldo de Gregorio, Marquis of Esquilache and José Moñino, Count of Floridablanca, Spain embarked on a program of enlightened despotism that brought Spain a new prosperity in the middle of the eighteenth century. Fearing that Britain's victory over France in the Seven Years War threatened the European balance of power, Spain allied themselves to France but suffered a series of military defeats and ended up having to cede Florida to the British at the Treaty of Paris. Despite being on the losing alongside France against the British in the Seven Years' War, Spain recouped most of her territorial losses in the American Revolutionary War, and gained an improved international standing.

However, the reforming spirit of Charles III was extinguished in the reign of his son, Charles IV, seen by some as mentally handicapped. Dominated by his wife's lover, Manuel de Godoy, Charles IV embarked on policies that overturned much of Charles III's reforms. After briefly opposing Revolutionary France early in the French Revolutionary Wars, Spain was cajoled into an uneasy alliance with its northern neighbor, only to be blockaded by the British. Charles IV's vacillation, culminating in his failure to honour the alliance by neglecting to enforce the Continental System led to Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, invading Spain in 1808, thereby triggering Spain's War of Independence.

During most of the eighteenth century Spain had made substantial progress since its steady decline in the latter part of the 17th century, under an increasingly inept Habsburg dynasty. But despite the progress, it continued to lag in the political and mercantile developments then transforming other parts of Europe, most notably in the United Kingdom, France and the Low Countries. The chaos unleashed by the Napoleonic intervention would cause this gap to widen greatly.

Faction Overview

Land Army:
    Experienced army,
    Navy:
    Good navy,
    Economy:
    Most of the income comes from colonies and trade, threra are also gold mines in homelands,

New Units:

[IMG][/IMG]
    Units are separated into early and late which will make them differ with statistics.
    With the 18th century moving on, the uniforms of all European armies were changing. The 'early' infrantry units' look will be based on historical sources from years 1700-1730, while the 'late' units will have their look based on sources concerning years 1757-1789.
    I'm compareing units frome the same class and writting their advantages and dissadvantages.
    When unit's statistics are similar to other units from the same class I don't write anything.

Infantry
    Early Line Infantry
    Advantages:
    Disadvantages:
    Average.

Pikeman

Late Line Infantry, Regimento de Sevilla
    Advantages:
    Disadvantages:
    Average.

Late Line Infantry, Regimento de Soria
    Advantages:
    Good morale, good in close combat.
    Disadvantages:
    Average.

Wallon Guard
    Advantages:
    Good morale.
    Disadvantages:
    Average.

Cavalry

List of new states and provinces (plans):

- Spain - Gibraltar (Gibraltar), Flanders & Brabant (Brussels), Lombardy (Milan), Naples (Naples), Sardinia (Cagliari), Sicily (Palermo), Andalusia (Seville), Catalonia (Barcelona), Castile (Madrid), León (León), Aragon (Saragossa), Valencia (Valencia), Basque Country (Pamplona)
    Changes in America:
    - split Hispaniola to Dominicana (spanish) - Santo Domingo and Haiti (french) - L'Hôpital

Outline:

Any feedback is welcomed

3 I'm thinking of solution I used by late line infantry, look below
    Updated:
    [spoiler]

Ok, the concrete name in spanish and the type of unit in english... yes, but i didn´t know the unit Mousquetaires de la Garde (?) anyway, i am looking for new Guardia Real spanish units and others.

In the map... please, change the province Leon, capital Leon. I think that the correct would be Galiza/Galicia, capital Ferrol/Santiago/Vigo/A Coruña or province Asturias, capital Oviedo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Coru%C3%B1a

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Compostela

Thanks

Thanks
    France has similar, I think this unit camed together with Burbons

Salvo, the two pictures are, from left to right

Mosqueteros de la Guardia del Rey (like the mousquetaires)
    Reales Guardias de Corps

the quality of the pictures is poor, but i promise post it with a better quality in a new threat

And here You have Mousquetaires de la Garde
    Mousquetaires de la Garde (France):
    http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9779/ggguk.jpg
    Mousquetaires de la Garde (Spain):
    http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9104/gggup.jpg

Spain in the 18th century

The Spanish defeat at the Battle of Vigo Bay, 1702, by Ludolf Backhuysen. Spain's navy was almost annihilated during the War of the Spanish Succession.

The centre of Spanish military power shifted dramatically in the early 18th century. The War of the Spanish Succession (1701-1714) confirmed Philip as King Philip V of Spain at the Peace of Utrecht, but in the process Philip lost the Spanish Netherlands, Naples, Milan, Sardinia, Sicily, parts of Milan, Gibraltar and Minorca to the victorious alliance. Spain responded by modernising its army and navy,[22] including through the work of Cardinal Alberoni, in an attempt both to regain its military position in the eastern Mediterranean and to reintroduce a degree of parity with France, the predominant European land power. Spain's defeat by France in the War of the Quadruple Alliance (1718-1720) confirmed her junior status for the coming decades, whilst the successful deployment of the Britain's Royal Navy into the Mediterraean,[23] exploiting the fortress of Gibraltar, gained in 1704, would place Spain at a significant naval disadvantage for many years.
    Globally, Spain remained an important naval and military power, depending on critical sea lanes stretching from Spain through the Carribean and South America, and westwards towards Manila and the Far East. The 18th century saw an ongoing struggle between the growing naval power of Great Britain and imperial Spain for control of these vital and lucrative trade links. The number of Spanish galleons deploying across the Atlantic sea routes increased significantly in the first half of the century, undoing some the decline of the late 17th century.[24] Britain used the exclusive right to non-Spanish slave trading in Spanish America for thirty years which she had gained at the end of the War of the Spanish Succession as an excuse for increased military intervention, such as during the War of Jenkin's Ear (1739-1748).[25] During the War of the Austrian Succession (1740-1748) Britain attempted to leverage its existing island bases along the Spanish Main and the Spanish West Indies, briefly occupied Havana and Manila, but in 1764 both were returned to Spain, resealing Spanish control of the region. Both Spain and Britain made extensive use of privateers throughout the war, the Spanish exploiting the British failure to use the convoy system to protect expensive merchant assets.
    The huge distances involved in warfare between European powers in the Americas usually counted in favour of the defenders; major attacks on Spanish possessions, such as the amphibious assault launched against Cartagena de Indias by the British in 1741 ended in disaster for the overstretched attackers. Nonetheless, Spain's involvement in the American Revolutionary War (1779-83) was a relative success, and underlined the global resources that Spain still had at her disposal and the opportunities for taking on Britain at the right moment. Spain entered the war after the Battle of Saratoga, with the aim, as in the Seven Years War, of recovering Gibraltar and Minorca from the British, and thereby reestablishing control over the western Mediterranean. Spain's successful defence of the Louisiana Territory, her invasion of Minorca in 1781,[26] whilst seizing West Florida from the British, showed her continuing strength in the New World, although the British defence of Gilbratar by sea prevented Spain of achieving all her war goals.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Great influence was exerted over Elisabeth of Parma on Spain's foreign policy
    "By Elisabeth of Parma" I think you mean. She took Spain into the War of the Quadruple Alliance to recover Spain's possessions in Italy.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Thanks
    I will focus on Spain in the next version

carricanta Great info as always

Pictures from this page: http://uniformesmilitares.blogspot.com/

From the same page:

http://www.alabarda.net/uniformes/esp/arm/s18/s18.htm

" Uniformes de la Armada Española "
    Láminas basadas en el libro "Historia de los Uniformes de la Armada Española (1717 - 1814)".

- Teniente General de la Armada (Real Orden del 5-12-1717) -

- Uniforme de Teniente General de la Armada. Detalles de la casaca. RO 5-12-1717 -

- Soldado de Infantería de la Armada, 1716. Granadero del Cuerpo de Batallones, 1717.
    Fusilero del Cuerpo de Batallones, con casacón de mar, 1717. -

- Oficial del Cuerpo de Batallones con la bandera de una compañía, 1717 -

- Tambor del Cuerpo de Batallones, 1717 -

- Sargento del Cuerpo de Batallones, sobre 1730 -

- Cabo de frente y espalda. Soldado con chupa, botas de agua y birreta. Granadero

- Batallón de Galeras, 1738. Sargento, cabo, soldado con casacón de mar y fusilero

- Brigadas de Artillería de Marina, 1717. Divisas de artillero, cabo y sargento.
    Artillero. Cabo. Artillero con casacón de mar -

- Brigadas de Artillería de Marina, 1742 -
    Artillero con el marsellés (invierno a bordo, birreta, sargento y tambor

- Auditor de la Armada, 1806 -

- Infante de Marina según contrata de noviembre de 1810 -

THANKS TO THE PEOPLE OF HERMANDAD DE LA GUARDIA AND SUPER for the information in your page

Colonial spanish troops in Argentina

http://www.alabarda.net/uniformes/es.../argentina.htm

Lord Claremorris's Avatar Senator
    Racine, Wisconsin, United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    "By Elisabeth of Parma" I think you mean. She took Spain into the War of the Quadruple Alliance to recover Spain's possessions in Italy.
    And the War of the Austrian Succession, to acheive the same object. Note Spain's failure in both cases.
    "Ghlaoigh tú anuas ar an Toirneach, agus anois bain an Chuaifeach."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast