View Poll Results: Should this member ascend to the rank of citizen?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 72.73%
  • No

3 27.27%
  • Abstain

0 0%

Thread: [PASSED] [Citizen] Timoleon of Korinthos (patron: Maverick) December 6th 2009

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Default [PASSED] [Citizen] Timoleon of Korinthos (patron: Maverick) December 6th 2009

[user]Maverick[/user]
    Patron It's my privilege to nominate Timoleon for citizenship. He first came to my attention while I was reading the Was Alexander Overrated? thread and I was immediately impressed with his articulacy and knowledge of the subject. His relatively low post count is not representative of his contribution to the forum as they are for the most part of a very high quality and full of original content.

[user]Timoleon of Korinthos[/user]
    Applicant Dear members of the CdeC

Probably you will be surprised by my aspiration to citizenship seeing that I am a junior member of TWC with a limited number of posts. To be honest I was myself surprised, when my would-be patron approached me and encouraged me with this idea, and to be even more honest I am still not convinced I deserve this rank, although I would consider it a great honor to achieve it.
    If there is a thing I do believe, however, is that I can make a valuable addition to the site and specifically the history and science forum sections. The reasons for these are the following: first, my deep interest and amateur study of the history of antiquity, particularly the Greco-Roman world, allows me to express a well-informed opinion on related topics (post1, post2, post3, post4, post5, post6, post7, post8, post9, post10). And secondly, my identity as an undergraduate student of mechanical engineering provides me with a degree of familiarity with natural sciences (post1, post2, post3), an insight into their historical evolution(post though almost completely off topic I have to admit), as well as some acquaintance with topics related to energy(post) and climate (post).

Thank you in advance

Timoleon of Korinthos
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Civitate

Default Re: [citizen]Timoleon of Korinthos [patron] Maverick

Poll added.... but I'm concerned with the lack of attention this has received after almost 3 days....

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

The holiday could explain the lack of response. The first thing you notice about the applicant is his post count and the second is the lack of threads started. Once I got past that I read through his posts and was impressed. I think the member is on the right path but more time to continue contributing will be needed in my opinion.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

While I can see where y2day is coming from, and have flirted with the idea of waiting until he expands his resume of posts, I think ultimately he meets the bar now. Not all of his posts are of utmost length or depth, but a large number of them are, and those which aren't could scarcely be considered 'spam'. He doesn't shy away from debates with conon and Spartan JKM, and while he doesn't achieve quite the same depth, he makes a much better case than many others.

Overall I had to ask myself if the kind of posts that Timoleon is inclined to produce are the kind of things we want from Citizens. And the answer to that question is yes, he posts in the exact manner we want from a Citizen candidate coming from the VV, with a fair degree of consistency. His posts aren't inflammatory but have just the right degree of consternation and fact checking. Furthermore, he cites his sources readily and seems to know them much better than a quick Project Gutenburg reference before posting.

What holiday?

Anyways, sometimes things take time to research... I'm not concerned about his lack of posts, we set a low minimum criteria fora reason. His posts are excellent, well reasoned and well thought out. He's a strong debator who's already contributed a lot. A yes from me.

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

My apologies, but I wanted to wait until some others had posted. Since my patron is the sponsor and I also would have sponsored him myself (I do not tend to sponsor) -- I thought it best to wait a bit before making my comments. The applicant is well read and well reasoned with his posts. If he had another 100 posts in TD or some other portion of the site -- these existing posts would still be sufficient. His post count is low simply because his actual posts are pretty meaningful and there is less foam with the beer so to speak.

I support him and wish him well.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Tankbuster's Avatar Analogy Nazi

I know this guy and I've had discussions with him once or twice (see the climate thread). He's very knowledgeable and he's a joy to discuss and debate with. He knows his stuff and checks his sources. He also has a characteristic that I value, namely that he thinks before posting. Furthermore I don't see him getting into trouble with moderators or staff any time soon.
    The only criticism I can think of is that he obviously hasn't contributed a lot in terms of quantity. When the quality is there however, it's just a matter of time before the quantity is reached.

My current inclination is to vote yes, but I'll wait what the rest of the jury has to say on this...
    The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath
    --- Mark 2:27

Atheism is simply a way of clearing the space for better conservations.
    --- Sam Harris

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

Yeah, sorry about the lack of response, it was Thanksgiving!

Anyway, down to the business at hand, although this candidate has only contributed a paltry 172 posts, the quality of some of his posts stands out to me. The majority of his D&D posts are well researched, articulate and informative. And he debates in a relatively respectful and adult manner, which is a strong indicator to me that he will turn out to be a respectful member. That said, I think it is best to wait a little while seeing he only has so little amount of posts. Right now I'm leaning toward a no, but I am impressed. And if he fails this go around and keeps up his informative and content rich posts, I will happily vote yes in the future. But for now, I don't think he is quite ready yet.
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Clearly NO!
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

I like what I've seen so far in his posts, I am going to vote a close yes.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Quote Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
    Clearly NO!
    Por que Tzar?
    Civitate

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

What he has done is great there is a lot in terms of quality whilst there is not a large quanity I think he has already shown what he can do and there is no reason for me to think that will change in the next 100 or 1000 posts so it is a yeas from me.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos View Post
    Por que Tzar?
    This client has barely met our minimum requirements for citizenship and I don’t see anything amazing to be granted with citizenship. He has good potential for the future but in my opinion he is not ready yet.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Quote Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
    This client has barely met our minimum requirements for citizenship and I don’t see anything amazing to be granted with citizenship. He has good potential for the future but in my opinion he is not ready yet.
    I completely agree.
    Civitate

His posts are generally quite informative and can be considered a valuable contribution to the site. The high quality of the posts makes up for the lack in quantity.

Therefore, I'll be voting yes.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

Civitate

Passed.