Thread: Books of napoleonic uniforms

Default Books of napoleonic uniforms

I am found of napoleonic uniforms, could you give me some english titles of illustrated books?

Default Re: Books of napoleonic uniforms

Well I can tell you which books I've found most useful on my shelf, but the real question is just how deeply one wants to delve into the subject, as some books go into a lot more detail than others.

Arms and Uniforms Napoleonic War Part 1 and Part 2 Liliane and Fred Funken: These are really old books and I doubt they are being printed anymore, but I've seen several second hand sets for sale on ebay etc. They provide a pretty good basic grounding in Napoleonic Uniforms, all the main factions are represented and the information is pretty much correct. I still use them as a very basic reference, and as such are good value for the money.

Military Dress of the Peninsula War (Windrow and Embleton): This is a much more specailised book which focusses on how troops really appeared on campaign in the peninsula. Its not as comprehensive as the Funcken books as it relies upon comptemporary images of the period and so only those regiments that feature in period paintings and references are shown, but it does show how different a regiment can appear in reality to theory.

Nation in Arms 1800-1815 Series (various authors): I have a number of these books which focus on specific regiments or classes of troops e.g. British Light Cavalry. I'm not sure if they are still in print, but there are similar books published by various authors under different titles, that basically describe every detail of the uniforms of a very specific group of units. However, its an expensive way of collecting uniform information unless you have a specific interest in the units covered.

French Napoleonic Line Infantry (Emir Bukhari): Probably one of my favourite books on uniforms, as it covers practically every aspect of the evolution of the French Infantry uniform, and I've literally lost count of how many times I've referred to it. Again, an old book, probably only available from ebay.

The Prussian Army 1808-1815 (David Nash): A really in depth book covering the uniforms and organisation of the Prussian army reforms after the 1806 campaign. Its really the only book I've ever needed on the Prussian Army, as it seems to cover the subject so thoroughly. Though it can be difficult to follow in some of the complex area's. Again probably second hand only now.

1815: The Armies at Waterloo (Pericoli): A really useful book on the battle of Waterloo with a large number of uniform plates in its centre, focussed just on the units which took part in the battle. My only complaint is that it tends to fall to pieces under stress, and mine is literally little more than a folder full of reference pages now, although that does make it easy to scan.

Those are probably my most used uniform reference books, though I have a lot more of the specilised ones dealing with specific regiments etc. Most are quite old and probably out of print but could be picked up cheap as second hand copies if your lucky. I've seen the Funken books at care boot sales before.

They have probably been plagerised and re-printed by different authors more recently but one would have to find out what the new versions are called. I'm sure some of the younger forum members will have more recent copies.
    Last edited by Didz; November 29, 2009 at 06:22 PM.

Thank you very much, I have 2 of them, I will have a look on the others

some good uniform books for research etc are the books written by
    andre jouineau and jean marie mongin, for example their series of the french imperial guard are very good;

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/boeken-engel...539/index.html

I spent a fortune on Nap. uniform books before the invention of the internet but you can find details of every nation now for free on google, Some ideas of sites in this thread
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=306393

The French colection Splendeur des Uniformes de Napoleon, Editions Charles Herissey, 2003 (author Charmy). There are at leats three volumes: La cavalerie (chasseurs, hussards, chevau-legers, carabiniers, dragons, cuirassiers), La garde imperiale a pied and La garde imperiale a cheval. (Sorry for missing accents).

Lt_Col_Sharpe's Avatar Laetus

Armies of the Napoleonic wars by 'Osprey'. Its really good it has all the uniforms, weapons tactics and even what life was like in the billiets. Armies include, France, Britain, Spain, Portugal, Ausria, Prussia, Demark, America, Poland and may more.

Foederatus
    West Islip, Long Island/New York, United States of America

http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-En...ref=pd_sim_b_1
    http://www.amazon.com/Soldiers-Unifo...ref=pd_sim_b_4

Then of course there are the hundreds of Osprey Publishing books. I highly recommend the individual books, the big book that Sharpe mentions only contains half the color plates and information found in the individual books.

Lt_Col_Sharpe's Avatar Laetus

Its still a great book . It focuses on all aspects of the Napoleonic armies . Its a good allround infomation book.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

From the French army's perspective I would add the excellent "LES UNIFORMES DU PREMIER EMPIRE" series by Commandant E L Bucquoy.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Lt_Col_Sharpe View Post
    Its still a great book . It focuses on all aspects of the Napoleonic armies . Its a good allround infomation book.
    Agreed, it's an excellent starter book or for someone who has a passing interest. One advantage is that it includes material from alot of the out of print Osprey books.

Here you go!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Illustrated-.../dp/0754815714

I have their American revolutionary one and it is very useful...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

I have and there is a third one, new, on XIX century.

Thankyou for the tip, I will look into that!

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by panzerschreck View Post
    I have and there is a third one, new, on XIX century.
    Is it out yet? Amazon says it's not being published until late May so it probably won't be available until mid/late June if not July.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardude1987 View Post
    Is it out yet? Amazon says it's not being published until late May so it probably won't be available until mid/late June if not July.
    I had it by amazon precisely about 15 days ago...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Napo.../dp/1862274843

£62 for a book on just British infantry ! You can find the detail for free online these days. Some good books on battles on Amazon however,Quatre Bras,Essling etc.

Most of the Osprey books can be downloaded online free. You don't need to spend a penny to find any uniform or organisation detail.
    http://rapidtrend.com/?q=Osprey+Men+...-93+1+Infantry
    Last edited by Jihada; April 01, 2010 at 12:56 PM.