Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Medieval II Steam FAQ

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Absolutely unnecessary, see this tutorial.

If you are really desperate for a few GB space then go into your 'control panel\programs and features' and individually uninstall the campaigns - at least that's how it can be done for the disk version.
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 31, 2018 at 06:18 AM. Reason: I blame my ISP

Default Re: Medieval II Steam FAQ

Well mine is steam version so campaings does not exist invidually in programs and features.Theres only medieval 2 installation. Anyway i just deleted them manually from mod folder. Everything seems ok currently. As long as steam does not reinstall them itself .

Blog Entries

As long as you don't verify your installation via Steam they should remain uninstalled.

Hi folks, I'm a legal owner of M2TW and Kingdoms (retail copy on DVDs). I managed to activate M2TW on Steam using the key provided with the game, that's not possible instead with the expansion, 'cause Kingdoms has no key. How do I claim it? Sent a PM to SEGA Facebook's page, but they haven't replied yet. Do you know any email address I can write to?

Meanwhile, I installed Kingdoms "normally", without any Steam, but the game needs to be updated at 1.5 version. And when I run the patch I got this error, saying that pack.dat file is missing.

I think everything would run smooth if I could add Kingdoms on Steam as well, so that the game would update automatically. Why goddamn SEGA doesn't reply?

Blog Entries

Never a good idea to mix and match steam and disk installation (registry, executable version and related interlinking). Check here how to go about the complete issue.

What am I supposed to do with that PDF file? It's not what I asked for, it's not gonna solve my issue. It's only to fix issues with mods.

Blog Entries

Read it? It describes what the thread title hints at: "Converting Install Disk to Steam" Opening the spoiler for the teaser should have made that clear. It also includes this tut of mine: Creating a World - Starting Steam mods the easy way it's notice of inclusion may have misled you if you didn't open the spoiler.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 23, 2018 at 08:57 AM.

Of course I read it, skipped the first part where you show how to add the vanilla game on Steam (already done and that's pretty simple), the second step should describe how to add Kingdoms on Steam but it doesn't.

Blog Entries

If memory recalls it installed automatically for me when I did that test run. The play access is rather hidden actually, you have to right click M2TW in your game library to start a kingdoms campaign. I should probably add that bit about game access even though it's not really in the purview of the tutorial.

Edit: yup, goes together
    Quote Originally Posted by PDF, page 6, end of part one - see pic as well
    You can now start the installation by clicking the ‘Install’ button. Notice the DLC listing with the Kingdoms campaigns, it will be installed together with the main game.

Last edited by Gigantus; October 23, 2018 at 09:46 AM.

It doesn't work, Gigantus. And no Kingdoms is displayed as DLC. I can run Kingdoms campaigns from Windows start menu, but the game version is still 1.4, whereas it should be 1.5.

Maybe it's gonna be better remove everything and starting from scratch without any Steam.

Blog Entries

I agree, the mix and match must have messed some registry stuff up - after uninstalling run a registry check as well, then restart and install again.

1.4 is the displayed disk version after installing the kingdom campaigns from disk - 1.5 for disk requires an update. Steam goes straight to 1.5 during installation.

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sigur Rós View Post
    Hi folks, I'm a legal owner of M2TW and Kingdoms (retail copy on DVDs). I managed to activate M2TW on Steam using the key provided with the game, that's not possible instead with the expansion, 'cause Kingdoms has no key. How do I claim it? Sent a PM to SEGA Facebook's page, but they haven't replied yet. Do you know any email address I can write to?

Meanwhile, I installed Kingdoms "normally", without any Steam, but the game needs to be updated at 1.5 version. And when I run the patch I got this error, saying that pack.dat file is missing.

I think everything would run smooth if I could add Kingdoms on Steam as well, so that the game would update automatically. Why goddamn SEGA doesn't reply?
    U need the a gold edition to run steam install for kingdoms via that method, kingdoms expansion as you said doesn't come with a code. Med2 base game plus expansion (as separate entities) won't work that way claiming the key of just the base game. I have both sets (gold/non-gold) have tried it, only gold updated all the way/installed kingdoms.

Options:
    1) you already contacted sega...but unfortunately sega austrailia/CA/Makers of this game is closed...so that might not work out.
    2) Buy gold edition (amazon has it for like 10 bucks). U really only need the gold edition cd key so could check ebay, etc.
    3) Buy kingdoms dlc directly from steam after installing mtw2 base via steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/3..._War_Kingdoms/
    4) Try a different patch/correct patch. U probably need the 1.05 non-gold patch. Make sure u get the right region as that matters. check here: https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...ansion-patches. This still might not work...I gave that link cause ishan's links are dead. I used the us gold version and ran multiple scans (bitdefender, malwarebytes, etc) on the download came clean...but use at ur own risk obviously.
    Last edited by Losthief; October 27, 2018 at 01:51 PM.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Losthief View Post
    I have both sets (gold/non-gold) have tried it, only gold updated all the way/installed kingdoms.
    Good to know - I have the M2TW 'limited edition' with the OST extra disk (no kingdoms here) that I used for my tutorial. The code triggered the kingdoms installation and I assumed that it would be like that in general. I'll update my tutorial accordingly.

Losthief's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Good to know - I have the M2TW 'limited edition' with the OST extra disk (no kingdoms here) that I used for my tutorial. The code triggered the kingdoms installation and I assumed that it would be like that in general. I'll update my tutorial accordingly.
    This was US gold and non-gold versions. Other ones might act differently as well.

Did find this for sigur ros while trying to find a key on disk for kingdoms (didn't find one):

IMPORTANT: This version of Kingdoms is only compatible with the boxed
    retail version of Medieval II: Total War. Digitally distributed versions
    of Medieval II: Total War are not supported.

So guessing steam and disk won't mix.
    LOSTHIEF
    I'd rather be lucky than skilled!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Losthief View Post
    IMPORTANT: This version of Kingdoms is only compatible with the boxed
    retail version of Medieval II: Total War. Digitally distributed versions
    of Medieval II: Total War are not supported.
    Nothing like that on my kingdoms (add-on) box. But then Steam and digital distribution of games wasn't a "thing" those days. I just go with my favorite conspiracy theory: the change in the root of register entries (the underlying issue here) is a sinister plot by game companies to sell remakes of old games
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 28, 2018 at 11:57 PM.

Librarian's Avatar Ducenarius
    Please get me out of this hellhole of the UK

I have been having some technical difficulties since Steam started to update when they changed the name to definitive, my method of accessing mods (renaming folders) has been interrupted which directs me toward the actual DLC campaign, Britannia, Teutonics, Crusades, Americas despite the fact those game folders are completely replaced with the mods' data (Only difference to the extracted mod is the folder name).

Anyone got a fix? I've even totally deleted all of the Kingdom's expansion folders with different names - it continually goes back to the vanilla expansions and ignores the mods. The data inside the mods hasn't been touched nor replaced by the update. - It has been incredibly fustrating.

=- Post Scriptum: reinstall doesn't work.

Blog Entries

Well, renaming folders was asking for FUBAR even before they merged the executables. Steam got the habit of caching your original folders - which means after a while it will consider the new stuff the stuff that's supposed to be there. Or restore the old stuff if you verify your files.

Note: absolutely, truly, bloody nothing changed in the definitive version other then the name and that you get the DLCs now for free.

Now head over to my tutorial and organize your custom mods the way it's supposed to be - by simply copying and renaming the executable and installing the mods where the authors say they should be.

And here are the two favourites, just in case:

Creating a World – Steam Install for TATW 3.0 and 3.2
    ---
    Creating a World – Steam Install for SS6.3 and 6.4

Elendil 03's Avatar Semisalis
    A landlocked, neutral country somewhere in Western Europe

In my experience, the best way (and I've tried many) to start mods is by creating a Steam shortcut to your medieval2.exe, opening this shortcut's properties and setting the starting options to --features.mod="mods\<YourMod>". Then click "OK", close the properties, reopen and rename the shortcut to something that'll help you find it. You can also organise these shortcuts in categories.

Blog Entries

It's an alternative (also described in that linked tutorial) - basically going that extra mile because of the discrepancy in the name of the executable in the mod's BAT file

I mean, can it be any easier: copy\rename steam's executable ONCE as described (I even got an installer doing it for you) and then installing every mod as it is designed to be installed? Nearly all mods create a desktop shortcut when installing - that one will work unless you have installed the mod into the wrong directory and it makes your approach obsolete.

I am using Steam and I have roughly 15 main mods installed and the only problem I ever had is making up my mind which one to play.
    Last edited by Gigantus; March 03, 2019 at 07:56 PM.

Librarian's Avatar Ducenarius
    Please get me out of this hellhole of the UK

So yes, I've done so, with the installer method (in hindsight the manual method is really simple, but sometimes conveniece helps with scattered concentration). Stainless Steel works now (with Run as Admin). Some mods can't find Kingdoms, another just opens normal Med 2, and a I've had a bizarre case of a more flashy launcher opening another of my mods for a split second and then CTD.
    Last edited by Librarian; March 04, 2019 at 01:55 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast