Thread: Milanese ARR

Default Milanese ARR

Alright, this is my first AAR that I will be doing completely myself. The last two AAR:s about Scotland I made with my friend, and we were very rarely in contact, so that explains why they didn’t really get anywhere. So now I really try to make something out of this one. There might (and will) be some spelling errors etc. my English isn’t perfect. So I apologise for that right now. Just try your best to understand it.

Feel free to comment anytime you want.

DLV 6.2 with BB 2.45.
    Foreign Garrison on.
    Foreign money support on.
    Field Costs on.
    Settlement and region costs on.
    Point system on.
    Recruitment limitation on.
    Character based recruitment on.
    Sovereignty standings off.
    Civ building style.
    Full Role-play. (like no deals with the Muslims etc.)
    VH/VH

Introduction

The Lombards are surrounded by possible allies and enemies. The Alps provide the League with a natural barrier to the north that ensures the city is relatively safe from France and the Holy Roman Empire – If the League holds the mountain passes, they can hold off Northern Europe. While the mountains fences the League off from the world, Genoa serves as the coastal gateway to the Mediterranean and beyond.

Ruling Family

In the year 1180 AD the head of the Lombard League was Signore Giorgio. He was 54 at that time and had two sons. Giorgio was the governor of Lombard city Milan.

One of his sons, Nobile Francesco was an heir to the throne and the governor of the second Lombard city Genoa.

Giorgios second son, Cristoforo was the commander of the main army.

Strategy

Signore's plans were to expand, make an alliance with the neighbouring factions. Especially the Pope. Signore ordered Cristoforo to capture the nearest forts and settlements that hadn't yet been captured.
    Cristoforo started immediately to ready the troops for the mission. Spies and Diplomats were also sent to investigate and negotiate.

Shadrach's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Milanese ARR

Cool, looking forward to reading about how this goes Hope you can keep those damned aggressive HRE off your backs!

The Danes, I swear, with their half arsed attempts at a 'war'. You gotta give it to 'em, they just dont stop trying. Listen, I've fought the Timurids, ever heard of them? Elephants with cannons on their backs. Yea, Timurids. You guys are like kids on tricycles compared to them. -REZ

I hope so too. ^^ When I get to home from school tomorrow I'm going to write first chapter clean and post it over here. I must say that this is the first time I'm playing with BB 2.45 so the AI might have a few too many aces up it's sleeve. Let's hope I survive.

Expanding

Cristoforo gathered about 800 men for striking the rebels down and taking they’re lands. First he sent a spy, Chimenti Bossi to investigate a rebel camp near the city of Milan. Cristoforo wanted to know how many men they had, and who their leader was.

Unfortunately Chimenti failed. The guards noticed him and he was executed. Now Cristoforo needs to attack without any info about their enemy.

Some good things happened also. Our diplomat had made an alliance with Venice. That’s one less neighbour to worry about. Hopefully they will help us in the hour of need.

Now it was time for Cristoforo’s first battle. Cristoforo wasn’t as good general as their enemy Roberto, but he had more men in the battlefield.

The infantry and archers were hidden in the forests. The Commander himself decided to be the bait for the enemy.

The enemy forces started to march towards Cristoforo. It was a horrible surprise when they saw the archers rising from the forests and starting to shoot their spearmen.

The enemy archers were out in the open. It would have been an easy target for Cristoforo and the rest of the cavalry. But rebels had put sharpened stakes on the ground that prevented them from attacking.

When the enemy infantry were close enough, the Lombard spearmen showed up from the woods and started running towards the enemy infantry. Same time archers changed their target to the rebel
    archers.

When the infantry started to attack, Cristoforo decided it was time to move. They didn’t care about the enemy spearmen but decided to go behind their lines and charge the rebel cavalry down.

Lord Roberto saw that, and decided to go help his own men. He charged right the side of Cristoforos bodyguards. They had to flee and charge again.

Unfortunately Cristoforo was the first one to get hit from Lord Roberto’s charge. He was struck down from the horses back and trampled to death.

When the Lombard infantry saw that their own commander had died, they started to panic and flee. Defeat was almost certain. But the cavalry decided to make one last charge to the enemy General and it was a success. Lord Roberto was impaled and he died on the horse.

After that the battle was over. The rebels started to run. New general Noddo refused to chase down his own countrymen. The Battle was over and Cristoforo dead.

When the battle was over, messenger came to tell them the good new. Holy Roman Empire has accepted an alliance request. General Noddo ordered him to go straight to Signore Giorgio and tell him, that his son had died on the battlefield.

Right after the battle, the army moved forward and laid siege to a rebel fort. They had lost already so many men, that Noddo decided to starve the rebels to death. This was one of the cruellest methods of them all. But he saw no other option.

The Nobles have given a mission; our diplomat was too sent directly to the Pope and make diplomatic relations with him.

Dungeon has finished in Milan. Hopefully they don’t get a reason to use it.

Success! Pope has accepted to make an alliance with the Lombard League!

Last edited by Galloglaich; November 25, 2009 at 08:24 AM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

The best faction! YES!! Milan!

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

The AI totally owned me.

There was really nothing I could do, it simply catched me so off guard that I even forgot to take pictures.

This is what happened in a nutshell:

Crusade to Narbonne, I won. Because of that, France got pissed and decided to attack me. They sieged Milan. Of course I had to go back there. But when I ended my turn, Venice decided to siege Genoa. I tried to fight them out, but I really got owned and my family members killed. I must say that I really love the new AI and I'm sorry it ended like this...

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well that is exactly what people want to see! Not you winning consistantly like every other AAR out there, but that the Characters have to take "impulsive" desicions; like fall of the 'last' defence, careere- and finance struggles and even exile to far of lands, which is what has come to this moment (your last save). Exile should be considered and your colonies is an adequate geographical area. Let me quote a great Finnish writer, who quoted CA who once said: "(...) While the mountains fences the League off from the world, Genoa serves as the coastal gateway to the Mediterranean and beyond." Now I'm not saying you should follow history to the letter, but that you should play on tangents with the geographical and symbolic components of Genoese history:

The second Mahdia Campaign aka. the Barbarian Crusade
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The second Mahdia Campaign aka. the Barbarian Crusade

Genoese and Pisan fleets led by Hugh of Pisa and accompanied by troops from Pantaleone of Amalfi, Salerno and Gaeta, attacked the North African city of Mahdia aka. al- Mahdiya, which was the capital of the Fatimid Caliphate. The attack, which was supported by Pope Victor III, became known as the Mahdia campaign. The attackers captured the city, but couldn't hold it against Arab forces. After the burning of the Arab fleet at the city's harbor, the Genoese and Pisan troops retreated. However, the destruction of the Arab fleet gave control of the Western Mediterranean to Genoa, Venice, and Pisa. This enabled the troops of the First Crusade to be supplied by sea.
    Now it's time to take back what's belongs to the League and Regnum Italicum in the Barbarian Crusade!
    http://warandgame.wordpress.com/2009...rusade-1390-2/
    The Profitable Crusade

The Profitable Crusade

Genoa after the capture of Antioch on May 3, 1098 forged an alliance with Bohemond of Taranto, who became the ruler of the Principality of Antioch. As a result he granted them a headquarters, the church of San Giovanni, and 30 houses in Antioch. (...) Many settlements on the Middle East were given to Genoa as well as favorable commercial treaties. Genoa later forged an alliance with Baldwin I of Jerusalem. In order to secure the alliance Baldwin gave Genoa one-third of the Lordship of Arsuf, one-third of Caesarea, and one-third of Acre, Israel and its port's income. Additionally the Republic of Genoa would receive 300 bezants every year, and one-third of Baldwin's conquest every time, 50 or more Genoese soldiers joined his troops.
    The Republic's role as a maritime power in the region secured many favorable commercial treaties for Genoese merchants. A large portion of the trade of the Byzantine Empire, Tripoli, the Principality of Antioch, Armenia, and Egypt was controlled by Genoese merchants. Although Genoa maintained free trading rights in Egypt and Syria, it lost a part of its territorial possessions after Saladin's campaigns in those areas.

The Emperor and the Aegean commerce

Aegean commerce

In the Fourth Crusade the Republic of Venice played a significant role. As a result, Venetian trading rights were enforced, and Venice gained control of large portion of the commerce. The Republic of Genoa in order to regain control of the commerce, allied with Michael VIII Palaiologos Emperor of Nicaea, who wanted to restore the Byzantine Empire by recapturing Constantinople. In March 1261 the treaty of the alliance was signed in Nymphaeum. On July 25, 1261, Nicaean troops with support from Genoa, captured Istanbul. As a result, Genoa was granted free trade rights on the Empire, which gave control of commerce to Genoese merchants and also the control of many islands and settlements on the Aegean Sea. The islands of Chios and Lesbos became commercial stations of Genoa as well as the city of Smyrna (which today is called Izmir). Genoa and Pisa became the only states, which had trading rights in the Black Sea.

1. So conquer rebel greek land.
    2. Give it all, except Smyrna to the Empire and ask for trade rights and alliance!

Black sea dominance

Black sea dominance

In the same century the Republic conquered many settlements in Crimea, where the Genoese colony of Caffa was established. The alliance with the restored Byzantine Empire increased the wealth and power of Genoa, and simultaneously decreased Venetian and Pisan commerce. The Byzantine Empire had granted the majority of free trading rights to Genoa.
    They established a flourishing trading settlement called Caffa (or Kaffa), which virtually monopolised trade in the Black Sea area and served as the chief port and administrative centre for the Genoese settlements around the Sea. It came to house one of Europe's biggest slave markets.
    The Republic of Genoa seized the settlements which their rivals, the Venetians, had built along the Crimean coast and established themselves at Cembalo, Soldaia, Cherco and Caffa, gaining control of the Crimean economy and of Black Sea commerce for two centuries.

Control of Corsica and Sardinia

Control of Corsica and Sardinia

In 1282 Pisa tried to gain control of the commerce and administration of Corsica, after being called for support by the judge Sinucello who revolted against Genoa. (...) On August 5, 1284, in the naval Battle of Meloria the Genoese fleet, consisting of 93 ships led by Oberto Doria and Benedetto I Zaccaria, defeated the Pisan fleet, which consisted of 72 ships and was led by Alberto Morosini and Ugolino della Gherardesca. Genoa captured 30 Pisan ships, and sank seven.[8] About 8,000 Pisans were killed during the battle, more than half of the Pisan troops, which were about 14,000.[8] The defeat of Pisa resulted in gain of control of the commerce of Corsica by Genoa. The Sardinian town of Sassari, which was under Pisan control, became a commune which was controlled by Genoa.

Your AAR is great man, and the decisions made when the chips are down is what defines the frame!

Regards,

-Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.