Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita v1.1.0 - FAQ, Troubleshooting, and Bug Reports

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: FAQ, Troubleshooting and Bug Reports (current: v1.0.9)

Quote Originally Posted by grandpa View Post
    IMHO the pirates were pretty weak, as I was generally facing a bunch of sloops most of the time. Once I had a decent navy, the race galleons do not pose a problem. Thats just my personal experience, not entending to dispute anyone elses experience. Just go "stick it to'em". cheers
    Well, it's funny that your comments sort of fit into what we had designed the pirates to be; raiders who hit the supply lines but do not pose real threat to your navies.

In the past the pirates used to be far too powerful and the playerbase asked that we make them a bit less powerful -- removing their access to anything better than a 5th helped a lot -- sloops, xebecs, and race-built galleons whould be about all you see from them.

You can add more ships to their recruitment by adding it to the exclusive factions or military groupings table in the modcore!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

grandpa's Avatar Elite Bytebumbler

hello ev1, I'm thinking this is general empire prob, not an ape/ti issue, but you folks are so helpful I thought I would throw this and see if anything sticks.
    Has anyone ever had the occurence where thier newly recruited general, is locked into the city, and unable to move, or merge? Secondly, does anyone have an idea how to repair city defenses after a takeover, short of tearing it down, and rebuilding it? I know you're going to tell me this post needs to go somewhere else, but to be quiet honest I value your opinion more. Hoping everyone has a great day.

It does not cost a dime to be nice, yet has the highest return on investment.

Hi, gave this mod a try and its not bad so far. I tried to search to see if a similiar bug had been reported and I could not find anything.

As Netherlands, France sieged my capital the turn before three units of militia were to be produced. That turn I sallied and removed the siege. However I noticed the production bar for the militia was at -1. I ended my turn and the next turn the militia were not produced and still showing at -1. So I removed them from the queue and when I reordered I noticed the build time was still listed at -1. So I went back to the autosave and, sure enough, any new queued unit had a -1 build time. This bug has made my game unplayable sadly so I'll have to start over unless a fix is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceorl84 View Post
    Hi, gave this mod a try and its not bad so far. I tried to search to see if a similiar bug had been reported and I could not find anything.

As Netherlands, France sieged my capital the turn before three units of militia were to be produced. That turn I sallied and removed the siege. However I noticed the production bar for the militia was at -1. I ended my turn and the next turn the militia were not produced and still showing at -1. So I removed them from the queue and when I reordered I noticed the build time was still listed at -1. So I went back to the autosave and, sure enough, any new queued unit had a -1 build time. This bug has made my game unplayable sadly so I'll have to start over unless a fix is possible.
    Do you have enough manpower and supply to recruit? Also, is the building that produces militia (the white government buildings, not the barracks buildings) damaged from the siege?

How does manpower and supply work?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Basics of Manpower and Supply
    Manpower/Supply: France

Manpower/Supply: Prussia

Manpower: [A]4011/[B]5011 [C](+200)
    Supply: [D]926/[E]5491

A = Total number of troops available but not yet recruited. Unit numbers are subtracted from this number.
    B = Maximum possible number of troops not yet recruited. A + C over time can equal up to this but cannot cross it.
    C = Number of troops that get added to A each turn.

D = Number of troops currently recruited and supplied. Unit numbers recruited are added to this number.
    E = Maximum possible number of troops that can be supplied.

A, B, and C represent actual bodies.

D and E represent guns, ammo, uniforms and other things needed to supply those troops.

If A goes below 0 you cannot recruit any more soliders. This means you have run out of warm bodies to recruit.

If D goes above E you cannot recruit any more soldiers. This mean you have run out of supplies to equip your troops.

You can have available manpower and max out your supply; you will not be able to recruit.

You can have available supply and use up all your manpower; you will not be able to recruit.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpa View Post
    hello ev1, I'm thinking this is general empire prob, not an ape/ti issue, but you folks are so helpful I thought I would throw this and see if anything sticks.
    Has anyone ever had the occurence where thier newly recruited general, is locked into the city, and unable to move, or merge? Secondly, does anyone have an idea how to repair city defenses after a takeover, short of tearing it down, and rebuilding it? I know you're going to tell me this post needs to go somewhere else, but to be quiet honest I value your opinion more. Hoping everyone has a great day.

It does not cost a dime to be nice, yet has the highest return on investment.
    1. I have seen this happen, but only once and it was the AI that had a unit stuck on the city and not in the city. I don't know if it possible to fix short of disbanding the unit. Let us know if you figure anything else out.

2. There is no other way -- this is a bug from vanilla Empire.
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; January 30, 2010 at 12:10 PM.

Having a few problems that I believe are related to APE:TI. I'm using the Steam version of ETW and 1.0.9 of APE:TI.

First off, there seems to be an error cropping up if I end up bankrupt (need to remember that school cost) - the game locks my cash at -3000, no matter how much income I have, and throws bankruptcy notices at me every turn - in short, I can't play the campaign after this point.

Secondly, APE:TI seems to be causing text ingame to become garbled. I've read somewhere that this could be related to Ornamentum, which is included in APE:TI. Any known fix for the text problem.

I've played with APE:TI before and never had any problems (but yes, new install) - so I'd be grateful if I could play it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    Having a few problems that I believe are related to APE:TI. I'm using the Steam version of ETW and 1.0.9 of APE:TI.

First off, there seems to be an error cropping up if I end up bankrupt (need to remember that school cost) - the game locks my cash at -3000, no matter how much income I have, and throws bankruptcy notices at me every turn - in short, I can't play the campaign after this point.

Secondly, APE:TI seems to be causing text ingame to become garbled. I've read somewhere that this could be related to Ornamentum, which is included in APE:TI. Any known fix for the text problem.

I've played with APE:TI before and never had any problems (but yes, new install) - so I'd be grateful if I could play it again!
    1. Stop spending money you don't have.

No, but seriously, what is happening is the research costs are being deducted at the start of the turn instead of the end -- so you are out of money on the turn before and because you are not coming out of bankruptcy because of the -3000 from your upkeep on your college your money gets set to -3000 every time. There may not be much that can be done to correct the way the math is applied because if we set the costs at the end of the turn and you go into negatives during the AI's turn you will get peace offers in the millions and tech offers for tens of thousands of gold.

We'll see if Alpaca has anything to say on this bug but, for now, you might want to consider tearing down your college, dropping some army upkeep and get yourself back into the black.

2. I can say with 100% accuracy that APE: TI does not cause this problem -- I've never heard of the problem being caused by Ornamentum but I don't know everything either, lol.

The garbled text problem has existed in Empire since the earliest versions; you can find posts about the issue all over the technical forums -- there is no known solution so far as I have read but I do not have the issue and never have. Are you playing the game at your monitor's native resolution?

1. I'll try to keep myself in the black It'd just be nice to be able to claw the money back, rather than restart/reload from an earlier point/destroying stuff - it does seem odd that if I'm supposedly earning 4k a month that it doesn't work out I should be back in the black.

2. That's what reading old threads found by search does, I guess! I probably didn't play for long enough in vanilla to notice the problem. I'll double check the resolution, but it should be the native one.

1. I'll try to keep myself in the black It'd just be nice to be able to claw the money back, rather than restart/reload from an earlier point/destroying stuff - it does seem odd that if I'm supposedly earning 4k a month that it doesn't work out I should be back in the black.

2. That's what reading old threads found by search does, I guess! I probably didn't play for long enough in vanilla to notice the problem. I'll double check the resolution, but it should be the native one.
    1. You can, the problem is that the research cost does not show in the financial tab -- blame CA for making that so difficult if not impossible to do -- if you click on your school and check the cost you should mentally take that amount out of how much money you are making per turn. A lot of people find it easier to demolish the school at the start to make sure they can afford the cost later.

Just for my own testing purposes would you mind zipping up and uploading your save with the problem -- I want to look at it to make sure I am seeing the problem as you are describing it. That way we can make sure it isn't a bigger glitch than I've seen before. You can host it off of mediafire or rapidshare for free.

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    1. You can, the problem is that the research cost does not show in the financial tab -- blame CA for making that so difficult if not impossible to do -- if you click on your school and check the cost you should mentally take that amount out of how much money you are making per turn. A lot of people find it easier to demolish the school at the start to make sure they can afford the cost later.

Just for my own testing purposes would you mind zipping up and uploading your save with the problem -- I want to look at it to make sure I am seeing the problem as you are describing it. That way we can make sure it isn't a bigger glitch than I've seen before. You can host it off of mediafire or rapidshare for free.
    Hmm, I think it might be a larger problem - with a stated income of just over 3000 per turn, the cash sticks at -3000 exactly (when it should, in fact, go up slightly to -2990 or something?).

Uploading the file, slowly but surely - the joys of it being 50mb!

well, to keep my troops from getting stuck in the city, I had to re-load an autosave, take enuf troops out of the city, then proceed. Gotta keep enuf space in the city!! hehe. Thank you for the response concerning wall repair. Best to ev1.

Hmm, I think it might be a larger problem - with a stated income of just over 3000 per turn, the cash sticks at -3000 exactly (when it should, in fact, go up slightly to -2990 or something?).

Uploading the file, slowly but surely - the joys of it being 50mb!
    https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...VnNsUjkzZUE9PQ (Because I honestly can't stand mediafire/rapidshare )

Danny252 -- Well, it works fine for me;
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You can see that after progressing one turn, with the school still intact, the treasury went from -3000gp to 1951gp; this means I made 4951gp total with 3000gp being subtracted at the start of the turn.

Does it stay stuck at -3000gp for you if you progress one turn past the spot in the savegame you uploaded?

Let us know!

Danny252 -- Well, it works fine for me;
    You can see that after progressing one turn, with the school still intact, the treasury went from -3000gp to 1951gp; this means I made 4951gp total with 3000gp being subtracted at the start of the turn.

Does it stay stuck at -3000gp for you if you progress one turn past the spot in the savegame you uploaded?

Let us know!
    Hmm, it does stay at -3000 for me. Sounds like something's a bit broken!

I'll have a go at reinstalling the mod and see what happens.

Hmm, it does stay at -3000 for me. Sounds like something's a bit broken!

I'll have a go at reinstalling the mod and see what happens.
    Well, Alpaca will most likely take a look at this as well -- it may be a bug I am unaware of or there may be other factors involved.

Let us know how things progress and if there is any change.

Well, Alpaca will most likely take a look at this as well -- it may be a bug I am unaware of or there may be other factors involved.

Let us know how things progress and if there is any change.
    Hmm, still no change, and I removed all mods before posting just to check. (I had the Drum&Fife installed). So short of reinstalling ETW completely (and I don't particularly feel like arguing with Steam's download servers on a Saturday), I'm lost!

Hmm, still no change, and I removed all mods before posting just to check. (I had the Drum&Fife installed). So short of reinstalling ETW completely (and I don't particularly feel like arguing with Steam's download servers on a Saturday), I'm lost!
    If you are using v1.0.9 you could uninstall it and install the BETA -- I can't think of anything that would have changed between those two versions that would cause this but it is worth a try! They are savegame compatible, for the most part.

This shouldn't be related to vanilla Empire so you shouldn't have to worry about reinstallingthe base game.

If you are using v1.0.9 you could uninstall it and install the BETA -- I can't think of anything that would have changed between those two versions that would cause this but it is worth a try! They are savegame compatible, for the most part.

This shouldn't be related to vanilla Empire so you shouldn't have to worry about reinstallingthe base game.
    I've also just discovered that if I'm in the red, and have no school, the money reverts to "0", implying the problem is related to the fact I have negative cash at all, not just the school cost.

Edit: Bugger, didn't mean to hit post until I'd installed the beta and checked that. Oh well.

Edit2: I can only say that I came out with a confused "what..?" as I noticed the problem has gone in the Beta. I'll just give up on trying to work out why it happened, and go and try to break the Beta instead Thanks for the suggestion.
    Last edited by Danny252; January 30, 2010 at 05:29 PM.

Ahh I understand now l33tl4m3r. Another case of a player not understanding the rules and believing the game is bugged. I'm sure you've seen that before.

As I understand it I was only paying attention to the Global Supply and not Theatre. In Europe I am negative, presumably because I've been been replenishg damaged units; again I was going by global and not theatre limits. This makes a certain amount of sense because it would be very hard for a small country like the Netherlands to fight France; even with repeat victorys I would run into manpower problems. I'll give props to you guys for that one, the endless armies of vanilla TW can get old.

Is there any information on what affects manpower? Beyond the basic information contained in the FAQ at the start of this thread and in the manual I have not found anything. My best understanding is that Manpower and Supply are interlated and determined by a formula I have no idea about, while manpower is quid-pro-quo: one soldier replaced/recruited equals one manpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceorl84 View Post
    Ahh I understand now l33tl4m3r. Another case of a player not understanding the rules and believing the game is bugged. I'm sure you've seen that before.

As I understand it I was only paying attention to the Global Supply and not Theatre. In Europe I am negative, presumably because I've been been replenishg damaged units; again I was going by global and not theatre limits. This makes a certain amount of sense because it would be very hard for a small country like the Netherlands to fight France; even with repeat victorys I would run into manpower problems. I'll give props to you guys for that one, the endless armies of vanilla TW can get old.

Is there any information on what affects manpower? Beyond the basic information contained in the FAQ at the start of this thread and in the manual I have not found anything. My best understanding is that Manpower and Supply are interlated and determined by a formula I have no idea about, while manpower is quid-pro-quo: one soldier replaced/recruited equals one manpower.
    You've about got it there; the only other thing I would add to your understanding of the system Alpaca designed is that population is what adjusts manpower. This also means that adding MASSIVE amounts of population is the quickest way to gain manpower and supply, i.e., capturing a city. You can also increase it by using farms, fisheries, and other population increasing region upgrades but that takes a lot longer.

You can look in the TerraIncognita folder inside the Empire Total War directory and use Notepad to edit the TI_Prefs.lua to take a look at how manpower and supply get their base.

Also, check out this thread;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=278387

Hope that helps! Let us know if you have any other questions!

@Danny252 -- Glad to know it is gone! Did anyone else have the glitch he had with v1.0.9?

hello ev1, the year is 1775, and when i click on the trade menu to see the current trade values, i get an immediate ctd, with a ms windows question to report the bug or not.
    I have never played a campaighn this far and everything else is working wonderfully, so maybe i jus quit clickin the bugger huh? lol. I also posted this in the etw bug section. Any help is always much appreciated.