Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: A Proper Empire: Terra Incognita v1.1.0 - FAQ, Troubleshooting, and Bug Reports

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: FAQ, Troubleshooting and Bug Reports (current: v1.0.9)

Is this compatible with the older version? I havnt bothered to upgrade in a while.

Subuatai de Bodemloze's Avatar No rest for the wicked
    50 degrees, 26.2 minutes North, 119 degrees, 12.4 minutes West

Default Re: Questions concerning Battle Realism and Unit Size

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    I'm not sure what your circumstances are but the amount of kills for a volley in APE: TI is actually closer to 8 - 12. I can make a video or two showing this if you are having difficulty -- it's fairly easy to test with a 1v1.
    I was actually watching my conscripts firing on pirates.. and I can attest to this 8 - 12.. plus or minus. Which frankly at close range any trained monkey should be able to shoot straight enough to kill one man standing in a line 3 deep. What I am saying is I think it is actually low at that rate or kills (for close combat ie within 100 yards). Having fired rifles on and off for 15 years.. and blackpowder muskets and repeating rifles.. You have to be a bad shot to not kill or wound a man standing in a line of men 100 long x 3 deep. the only real factor you should have against you is the other 300 men firing at you and yours. But if you are stationary and the enemy charges into range then 1) he should be a fool. Because you have 300 men ready to shoot, who have time to aim, calm themselves and are safe in the knowledge that atleast for one cycle of the line they have the advantage. But, I don't think there is anyway to grant a bonus to first line to fire.

Edit: Something I found that may be of use to you APE guys: LINK

Exerts from:
    Certainly there was no systematic training exercise in life fire, but rather shooting competitions. Napoleon's Grande Armee had target matches, bands played and prizes being given to the winners. The target shooting competitions for the entire army were not low cost affairs.
    Marshal Berthier (Napoleon's Chief-of-Staff) wrote that the conscripts should "fire a few rounds so that they would know which eye to use in aiming." The target was 5.5' x 21" (French) at ranges of 50, 100, 150 and 200 toises. In Dec 1806 Napoleon wrote to Eugene: "Give them target practice; it is not sufficient that a soldier knows how to shoot, he should shoot straight." In 1809 the Young Guard fired at targets 3 times per week.

Target pracice was an annual affair where few rounds were fired "so the soldier could learn not to be afraid of the tremendous kick of his musket." (Nafziger - "Imperial Bayonets" p 30)
    "Training remained rudimentary. The new conscript might receive 2 or 3 weeks of basic instruction at the depot, but he would fire on average only 2 musket shots a year in practice." (Chandler - "Dictionary of the Napoleonic Wars" pp 207-208)
    There were lead allowance for yearly exercises in life fire training.
    - British 'Rifles' - 60 rounds and 60 blanks per man
    - Prussian jägers and schützen (riflemen) - 60 rounds per man (in 1811-1812)
    - British light infantry - 50 rounds and 60 blanks
    - British line infantry and Prussian fusiliers (light infantry) - 30 rounds
    - Austrian line infantry - 10 rounds (in 1809)
    - Austrian line infantry - 6 rounds (in 1805)
    - Russian infantry - 6 and less rounds
    Britain was the wealthiest country with relatively small army. Excellent state of coffers enabled the British goverment to finance training of the troops (practice shooting) to a level the larger and poorer European armies were unable to reach. Austria and Russia were big countries, with massive armies, and with not so strong economies. Such were the shortages of ammunition in Russia that some line infantry battalions were trained to fire with clay bullets. By today's standards, muskets are not very accurate due to the windage (gap) between the projectile and the barrel. Depending on the type and calibre, it could hit a man's torso at up to 200-300 paces, though it was only reliably accurate to about 50-100 paces.

- In 1755 two companies of Prussian grenadiers fired at a target 10 paces broad and 10 feet high. At 300 paces they scored approx. 12.5 % hits and at 150 paces 46 %.
    - In another test out of 720 French infantry, 52 hit the target of 3m x 100 m. At 200 m there were only 18 hits.
    - At 160 and 320 yards out of 200 rounds fired at a large target, approximating the size of a formed infantry company, the following number of hits was obtained (Nafziger's "Imperial Bayonets" published by

160 yards 320 yards
    Old Prussian 1782 musket 64 42
    New Prussian 1809 musket 113 42
    British musket 116 55
    French musket 1777 99 55
    Last edited by Subuatai de Bodemloze; January 11, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Default Question about the AI.

I've been playing Darthmod for a bit, and although he is an excellent modder, I really feel that his AI is a little overrated and comes with quite a few 'quirks' of its own (yes, I understand there are limits on what can be done), and so I've been looking around for something new and I found this.

That said, before I download, I wanted to know if APE:TI allows the AI to hold formation and fire in a 'line of battle?'

The main weakness I find with the AI has is that it doesn't function in coherent formations, which leads to 'globbing' or just mindless 'reforming' and odd firing angels which invariably leads to its units to geting shot up while they 'reform' and 'glob' etc..

Does the AI in APE let the AI maintain formation?
    Last edited by Thoragoros; January 12, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Questions concerning Battle Realism and Unit Size

Quote Originally Posted by Exanimous View Post
    Hi,

I was playing Darth Mod recently for its additional stability APE:TI currently lacks and doesn't seem anytime soon to improve on.
    excellent way to open up. in other words...."your mod lacks certain "things" and i see you have no plans to address these certain "things". also i have decided not to share what these "things" are. this you must figure out by yourself!"

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: Question about the AI.

The install and unistall for the mod are pretty straight forward -- I always recommend playing a campaign and seeing what kind of battles you have.

I rarely have issues with the AI bunching in melee but that is because on the campaign battlefields I am usually doing something and the AI responds as well as it can.

As in all cases, the fundemental bug that CA needs to patch in order to correct still exists but it is rarely seen in any of my campaign battles so far! I can make a few short videos if you are interested in seeing the kind of reactions I am talking about!

Hope that helps!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Um i dont know if others have reported this or experienced it.... But two problems Ive found from 1.09.

1. Cant promote generals/admirals etc from units (not a biggy to be honest lol)

2. Battles wont end when all enemy is routed.... As in the battle will keep running.... As in all enemy will run off the entire map and your left sitting there, luckily I play with a time limit so I just put it on fast forward and go get a drink etc... but would suck if im attacking (as yet I havent lol)

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Stildawn View Post
    Um i dont know if others have reported this or experienced it.... But two problems Ive found from 1.09.

1. Cant promote generals/admirals etc from units (not a biggy to be honest lol)

2. Battles wont end when all enemy is routed.... As in the battle will keep running.... As in all enemy will run off the entire map and your left sitting there, luckily I play with a time limit so I just put it on fast forward and go get a drink etc... but would suck if im attacking (as yet I havent lol)

Cheers
    1. Yep, turned off on purpose! You'll notice that your main government buildings (the white ones) are where you recruit your generals now!

2. I've never had that happen. Anyone else get this?

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

It could be a save game issue l33t... Ill check tonight with a fresh start.

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Default Does APE:TI use any BAI mod?

Does Ape:TI use any Battle A.I. mods like Darths AI mod etc?

Or...

Does APE:TI change the Battle A.I. in the game itself through the APE mod? I ask because I have seen and played Darths Mod DMUC and also TROM's mod with Yarkis's BAI and both Darths and Yarkis's BAI mod make the BAI so much more likely to engage in fire combat.

I ask because I've not played APE since 1.5 came out and I don't see any threads suggesting the BAI has been changed from vanilla 1.5 in APE:TI.

Default Re: Does APE:TI use any BAI mod?

Quote Originally Posted by WarnerVH View Post
    Does Ape:TI use any Battle A.I. mods like Darths AI mod etc?

Or...

Does APE:TI change the Battle A.I. in the game itself through the APE mod? I ask because I have seen and played Darths Mod DMUC and also TROM's mod with Yarkis's BAI and both Darths and Yarkis's BAI mod make the BAI so much more likely to engage in fire combat.

I ask because I've not played APE since 1.5 came out and I don't see any threads suggesting the BAI has been changed from vanilla 1.5 in APE:TI.
    This question has been asked and answered, in multiple threads multiple times across multiple topics!

Like here;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...71#post6620471
    and;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...97#post6585297

Play a campaign game to see the changes to combat in action -- the AI cannot be changed by the modding community.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by l33tl4m3r; January 18, 2010 at 09:57 PM.

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

Sorry, l33tl4m3r, I had looked for a bit and didn't find it. But thank you for the info and the thread direction. Very helpful to my question.

Thanks

Default Re: New Unit Ideas and Full Unit DB (Suggestions Updated - Neat O)

Run the shortcut after this page I encounter. why?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

important:
    i dont have steam and setup in empire folder. and my version empire is 1.0! There impact? Implement this mode, updates to the Empire?
    Last edited by cyrus_empire; January 25, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
    I'm returned again...

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus_empire View Post
    Run the shortcut after this page I encounter. why?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

important:
    i dont have steam and setup in empire folder. and my version empire is 1.0! There impact? Implement this mode, updates to the Empire?
    Are you using Steam and letting Empire get all its updates?

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Have the 13 colonies, New Spain and Louisiana been removed? - Actually they have been (obviously) so what I'm really asking is WHY were they removed.... Those colonial campaigns were a blast - I really enjoyed fighting Natives and turning small time powers into world wide big shots, and men were very hard to come by... I haven't played this game since the 1.4 patch came out (CTD at introductory screen) but i got it fixed, and the latest version (1.9) is missing my colonial favorites. Were they removed for historical value? Gameplay reasons? Stability purposes? I have not had a CTD in my current game (200 turns), and the entire mod is much faster than it used to be - so if stability was the issue, that at least is very much improved!

Second question - I have not lost a battle in my current game. I am about 50 and 0 with battles, and I don't remember winning that much before. Have any changes been made that weakened the battle a.i.? Should I just play on a harder battle setting? Am I military genius- a reborn Napoleon perhaps? J/K - I really am asking if there is a change that explains that, or if it is just unique to my current campaign as Venice...

Good Job on the mod - it remains my favorite, and I will vote for this team in the favorite "mod/modder for empire" categories...

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmafia2020 View Post
    Have the 13 colonies, New Spain and Louisiana been removed? - Actually they have been (obviously) so what I'm really asking is WHY were they removed.... Those colonial campaigns were a blast - I really enjoyed fighting Natives and turning small time powers into world wide big shots, and men were very hard to come by... I haven't played this game since the 1.4 patch came out (CTD at introductory screen) but i got it fixed, and the latest version (1.9) is missing my colonial favorites. Were they removed for historical value? Gameplay reasons? Stability purposes? I have not had a CTD in my current game (200 turns), and the entire mod is much faster than it used to be - so if stability was the issue, that at least is very much improved!
    They were removed due the the script being set to hand the protectorates over to their parent nation by default at turn 1.

We may make them available in the next version but you'll need to adjust the TI_Prefs.lua to keep from having the protectorates handed over.

There have been indirect results in the past that pointed to crashes due to the protectorates but it was never confirmed. When the next version goes out, please feel free to test them and let us know how well they work.

Second question - I have not lost a battle in my current game. I am about 50 and 0 with battles, and I don't remember winning that much before. Have any changes been made that weakened the battle a.i.? Should I just play on a harder battle setting? Am I military genius- a reborn Napoleon perhaps? J/K - I really am asking if there is a change that explains that, or if it is just unique to my current campaign as Venice...
    Well, CA really botched the BAI post-v1.3 and I think that is part of the problem.

Most of the battle changes in APE: TI have been mostly the same since v1.0.7 or so.

How far into your campaign are you? You'll see the AI armies increase in experience as time goes and that will also give you tougher battles.

Good Job on the mod - it remains my favorite, and I will vote for this team in the favorite "mod/modder for empire" categories...
    Thanks! I love the mod and love playing it but the support and downloads from the playerbase it what makes it worth it!

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

I've decided to reinstall APE, i ended up deleting the CA from Docs and settings, and reinstalling a new copy of ETW. Downloaded the mod, and then restarted the computer. I started up the game again, and when i was picking factions ( i notice stutters and lag ) i get an auto cd once it finishes loading

What has i done wrong my cylon overlord?

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolves View Post
    I've decided to reinstall APE, i ended up deleting the CA from Docs and settings, and reinstalling a new copy of ETW. Downloaded the mod, and then restarted the computer. I started up the game again, and when i was picking factions ( i notice stutters and lag ) i get an auto cd once it finishes loading

What has i done wrong my cylon overlord?
    Are you using v1.0.9? That might explain the stutter lag because that startpos file has not been remade as the BETA has; if you do try the BETA let us know if you see a difference.

It crashes to desktop when you start the game? Do you get any screens or does it crash immediately? Have you looked at the install thread to see what ModManager and your Empire Total War\Data folder should look like?

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by l33tl4m3r View Post
    Are you using v1.0.9? That might explain the stutter lag because that startpos file has not been remade as the BETA has; if you do try the BETA let us know if you see a difference.

It crashes to desktop when you start the game? Do you get any screens or does it crash immediately? Have you looked at the install thread to see what ModManager and your Empire Total War\Data folder should look like?

Ah yes, i am using 1.0.9, I'll try the Beta now.

Lets say i pick a nation, like Knights of Malta <3, after the screen loads, it lasts like a second then CTD.

-edit, ok my mod manager...wow it soooooooooooooo does not look like whats shown on the dl thread lol?

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolves View Post
    Ah yes, i am using 1.0.9, I'll try the Beta now.

Lets say i pick a nation, like Knights of Malta <3, after the screen loads, it lasts like a second then CTD.

-edit, ok my mod manager...wow it soooooooooooooo does not look like whats shown on the dl thread lol?
    Do you have the two boxes in ModManager checked to display vanilla packs? Are things in the wrong place? Is there another Empire Total War directory inside your Empire folder?

@l33tl4m3r
    Are you using Steam and letting Empire get all its updates?
    no! i dont have steam and not update. this mod run with steam only?
    Last edited by cyrus_empire; January 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM.
    I'm returned again...