Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guide to the first steps in making a mod (The Novice Corner)

Default Guide to the first steps in making a mod (The Novice Corner)

this tutorial is for someone like myself who has a mod vision but lacks any modding expirience but dares to enter the dark and murky depths of the unknown!
    first take a deep breath and say that is better!
    because making a mod is easier than it looks (like me at first) most "newbies"
    see things you will eventually find simple, daunting and complicated at first.

ok step one

install a clean version of MtW2 on your system
    (if you are using Vista I advise you turn UAC off and install to new location. example create folder games if you do not have one then install too games/medievalII

Step two

unpack your game via the unpacker bat. located in MedievalII/data/tools
    (all of the files you just unpacked will now be in medievalII/data)
    once unpacked delete the two desc_new_geog files which will be in medievalII/data

step three

download and install a mod folder (and follow its specific directions) recommended "BareKingdoms" by GiGantus
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=168944

step four

you are now set up to mod
    every file you now modify gets stored in your mod folder (some of those files will already be in your folder, but others you will have to copy from vanilla)
    depending on what you want to start with is what will be your next step (for me ,I began with the map)
    optional but it is the recommended manner:
    download Geo-mod and follows its usage instructions http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201955
    make sure you read also
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202468

you should start with editing the Vanilla map and follow Nakharar's tutorial
    eventually you will run "into the ragusa port bug" you can find refferences too it all over the workshop or
    just ask in the workshop

optional ettiquette and modding habits and protocal to ensure a successful mod is produced!

1. be prepared to ask before you do (change or modify) something.

2. If you can try and develop some friendship and familiarity with your peers in the workshop (these are your allies) it will only increase the odds of your success! be polite! the members here are very helpful and enjoy it so let them know you appreciate it

good modding habits

1. never alter a file in its folder, always check if the file is read only (right click properties) unclick if applicable, then copy to back up, and finally on your desktop and edit then copy and paste it into your mod folder in the approppriate place.

2. when encountering an error when testing make sure you CHECK THE SYSTEM LOG. (medievalII/logs)

you are ready to get started with creating your mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    at this point you are going to want to investigate the individual tutorials on specific aspects of the game
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92488
    ( I cannot stress anymore the fact of developing connections and support! because if you are a "newbie" like I was you will spend the majority of your time on TWC asking questions and all your progress will be contingent on getting the right answers from the right people
    the success of your mod is directly connected to your personal "faction" standing here at TWC
    good luck!
    and any of you who read from TWC threads but have been reluctant to join' well do so now! because the support is here!!! and to make a quality mod all you really need is a good idea and the will to see it through! look at it like this every step you take puts you one step closer to completion
    one step better at modding
    then combined together! and your mere paces from having your vision a reality!
    Last edited by Druvatar De Bodemloze; December 21, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Default Re: Druvatar's guide to the first steps in making a mod(for beginners only!)

nice one , might be usefull for noobs +rep

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

Default Re: Druvatar's guide to the first steps in making a mod(for beginners only!)

i see your modding career is going swiftly..

keep it up and good job
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm afraid I've got a problem. I installed M2 and Kingdoms (Crusades only to save space) and the tools folder was sitting in the M2 folder, not data. When I go into it, the only unpack files avaliable are the four kingdoms campaigns.
    I had to reinstall M2 twice as the first time most of the files failed to appear. Could this be the reason?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

ok Flavius we will get it done
    First, I advise unistall and delete everything ( including all hidden and/or files in the virtual store)
    let me know what is your platform is vista,xp or 7
    also what version of mtw2 are you using
    if it is seperate mtw2 and kingdoms (not combined like gold) I reccommend
    you reinstall mtw2 and unpack it. Then install Kingdoms and find the two desc_geog new files in mtw2/data and delete them and then proceed with downloading a folder keep me abreast
    good luck!

Ok, I'm XP, I got the 'Gamer's Choice' bundle with M2 and Kingdoms. Kingdoms is in an individual disk, and M2 comes in the usual 2 disk set.
    I haven't got any patches, it patches automatically (and takes ages) when I install Kingdoms so the version is 1.03.000 after Kingdoms is installed.

EDIT: I can't cancel the reinstall, so I looked around the Program files anyway. Although the Tools folder is still in the M2 folder, it now has the required .bat file. I'm not sure if that means that it's now working but we'll see...
    Last edited by Julianus Flavius; November 30, 2009 at 09:17 PM.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

ok wait until it is completly done then let me know, sounds like you do not have to do the install over let it complete then once it is done then unpack and proceed from there

O dear. Geomod isn't cooperating. Here's the Bare_Kingdoms log:
    Error, Geomod v0.6.18 2009-12-01 14:46:31

The following files are untraceable:
    data\world\maps\base\map_climates.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_ground_types.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_heights.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_regions.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_features.tga
    data\world\maps\base\map_fog.tga
    data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.txt
    data\world\maps\base\descr_sounds_music_types.txt
    data\world\maps\base\descr_terrain.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_events.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_mercenaries.txt
    data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_win_conditions.txt
    data\text\historic_events.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\names.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\rebel_faction_descr.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\religions.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\expanded.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_units.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_ancillaries.txt.strings.bin
    data\text\export_vnvs.txt.strings.bin
    data\descr_cultures.txt
    data\descr_names.txt
    data\descr_sm_resources.txt
    data\descr_sm_factions.txt
    data\descr_rebel_factions.txt
    data\descr_religions.txt
    data\export_descr_ancillaries.txt
    data\export_descr_buildings.txt
    data\export_descr_character_traits.txt
    data\export_descr_unit.txt

END

I got a Fatal Error window saying the same when I tried to use Geomod. Should I just copy the required files into my modfolder?

EDIT: I let the install finish by the way.
    Last edited by Julianus Flavius; November 30, 2009 at 10:04 PM.

ok Flavius pay attention here
    first did you make sure you copied the world folder from vanilla into bare kingdoms?
    then run geo-mod and navigate to bare kingdoms again ( it will still give a list of untraceable files but it will be shorter)
    ok next step
    gather the files needed but if they are in medievaII/data just copy
    if they are in a sub folder (medievalII/data/text)
    make a clone of the folder in your bare kingodoms (remember, the game engine is told by your bat. and cfg. to search for required files in your folder first and then the vanilla folder for what else is needed) and then copy the file you need to the new folder( your mod folder is a clone of vanilla but the difference is it only needs to have the main files included in the mod folder download in it, the only subsequent files are your alterations example menutext txt. and menutextstringsbin. (medievalII.data/mods/barekingdoms/data/text) if you are changing the menu text but nothing else if the menu is all you want to mod
    ok for me to be helpful I need to know exactly where you are at?
    have you unpacked and deleted the two desc_geog new files

Phew, it took ages (damn meddy installer!) but it's done and now I'm mapping away!
    Thanks druvatar you've been a great help, nay, the only thing stopping me from hurling my computer out the window.

my pleasure look forward to your mod!

Off topic but could you make a program that makes your maps blank? I'm struggling through the height settings and my fingers are sore from clicking!

Aaaand on topic: after your modfolder is ready to go, how should you go about making the mod? Like, after the map is worked out, should I do units, scripts, characters or what? I never knew what an ENORMOUS task this is! Also, is there a free 3d modelling whatsit I can use to make my units?
    Thanks.

what you want to do next is up to you a strict procedure only applies to the first steps. Once you have your folder set up it is a matter of personal choice
    I began with editing faction texts, go here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=251454
    or choose where ever else you want to mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=92488
    have fun!

Ok. Did you replace the map completely? I'm having trouble with the heights. I know this probably belongs in the Geomod section but you said you did maps first. How did you defeat the accursed height layer?

ok at first do not change the map physycally or geographically. But if that is what you want to do then get support in the geo-mod forum I personally only modified settlements

Rightyo then! BTW I'z downloading your mod now

i think i want to start making a mod myself but ... i'm clueless , never did nothing like this ever but i see u have here tutorials for everything , i read some and i seem to understand them pretty good but i was wondering that if i make a mod ..and it works could i still play it ? i mean ...if i made it ..and know everything about it ..won't i be bored with it before i even play it ? :| just wondering do you modders play your own mods ? i dont want to put that much time and effort in making a mod and then suddenly discover that i don't want to play it :|

Quote Originally Posted by regius View Post
    i think i want to start making a mod myself but ... i'm clueless , never did nothing like this ever but i see u have here tutorials for everything , i read some and i seem to understand them pretty good but i was wondering that if i make a mod ..and it works could i still play it ? i mean ...if i made it ..and know everything about it ..won't i be bored with it before i even play it ? :| just wondering do you modders play your own mods ? i dont want to put that much time and effort in making a mod and then suddenly discover that i don't want to play it :|
    I will answer this from my perspective as being a gamer:
    1. it can be "boring" when you know the events, map and everything else,
    but for me it is very exciting and fulflfilling to play in the gaming " environment" I created
    (menu, music, loading screens e.g.)
    make the mod!
    2. when you make a mod it does change the way you think about all mods and vanilla itself,
    keep in mind though, that as you become aware of how the game works, it becomes challenging to make the changes you want and just as fun to play! (think about it, of course modders play thier own mods think all the testing! only a really bad and undiscplined modder would produce something and not exstensively test and retest, basically modders probably play thier mods just as much, if not more then whoever downloads it)
    make the mod!
    3. once you begin to understand even a little about modding you will never be content playing Vanilla or for that matter another persons mod.
    make the mod!

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by druvatar View Post
    3. once you begin to understand even a little about modding you will never be content playing Vanilla or for that matter another persons mod.
    make the mod!
    what! That is absurd. Wouldn't that mean the same about making a game becuase I know that i still play other peoples games and other peoples mods, more so even. If you spent 2 years making a game/mod trust me when you get home your first thought isn't i want to play it. Its I want to play something completely different from what I made
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    what! That is absurd. Wouldn't that mean the same about making a game becuase I know that i still play other peoples games and other peoples mods, more so even. If you spent 2 years making a game/mod trust me when you get home your first thought isn't i want to play it. Its I want to play something completely different from what I made
    no what your saying is absurd you are not critically thinking about this. I did not say not want to play other mods at all don`t sound obtuse . what I meant was modding is like a disease once you learn something (at least for me) everytime you encounter something in a mod you don`t like and know how to change it you will, basically what I was saying was you have become ALA MODDER ETERNAL!
    and please feel free to report me again and get me in trouble again. I am not coming in your "backyard" barking please don`t do it in mine!
    thank you~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast