Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sub mod i made for TGW

Icon4 Sub mod i made for TGW

Hi everyone,firstly i want to say that i'm totally new to the forum and im not accustomed in writing on a forum(i take 5 minutes to understand how to start a thread)normally i only read what you guys has to say,even if a humble mortals like myself could not understand everything half-god modders write but last month i had started a submod for tgw a mod i like so much.it took me a huge time and fine tuning to acheive what i feel is a respectable result i did not change graphics stuff at all,only tweak current units price upkeep etc....unit has 0 turns recruitment time are WAY more boosted in defense from what i acheive very enjoyable realistic battle...you coud now see the main hoplite battle line bieng pushed at certain point where a elite hoplite pushing a more low grade one or simply an exhausted one creating real hoplite stragy frome where battle were won or lost by where you drive your push...cannae like battle is almost automaticly made if you push crazy in the center with a say12 ranks deep set of unit but if your wings are too weak dus to exhaution or training leve etc you will be caug in a half-circle like battle...like in reality a this point guy do NOT fall to ground lightning quick you can even win the battle figting toe to toe in this disavantageous posisition if you do pierce the center of enneny you will be now in position of streng etc etc...i really shinned my hoplite battle system it work well(i think i need that you try it for feed back)now hoplite are packed very thigly like they were supposed to and will push in phalanx even with guard mode off.light infantry now do not die at the fist touch by better equipped troop but will be defeated in a face to face combat they are not there to maintain a battle line anyway...javelineers now always walk forward of the hoplite and almost fight a seperate battle....but if the ennemy light infantry is defeated or badly beated ...after the main battle is engaged they can circle in the back of the hoplite and shoot em right in the back where they not have the sheidl waal to protect them...if the routs not occure after emptyed there javelin one could even throw them with there knive in the back of the hoplite cutting retreat,but dont expext them to kill that much before enney formation was broken.for cavalry podromoi are simply mounted javliner but with a sword they do the same job but have a sword they are perfect fleeing mob killer they can cycle charge phalanx but they will wear off....line cavalry here the big boy...historically they were deployed in a 2 to 4 rank deeps in front of hoplite...cause even if they cant slaghter phalanx theyre charge push back the unit and doing so disrupting the line for friends hoplites to exploit it....from rear or flank they are killer...so like in real life put them forward of line if ennemy have line cavalry......and i change a lot of other thing too like in real greece you will run out of men faster than run out of money if you warmongering evrywhere...diplomacy work like a charm you can make protectorate and all....in early game they are good cause keeping all city you conquer can lead everyone to attack you.now pay attention to graph of millitary ranking and other ranking by doing so you know who try to get hegemony and you know who to fight for your long game goals.......pheeeewww what a post im sorry im so proud of my baby now if i get the permission and some people are interested i can release it here if you teach me how to do so and i really wish to join the creator of tgw if its possible to join my effort with him if its possible.....oh and english is not my mother language so thank you for forgiving my bad writing

Default Re: Sub mod i made for TGW

This sounds great! By all means, release it here! We can even make it the official newest version of the mod if it works that good and is bug-free!

Your english is fine, just try to break up large blocks of text into smaller paragraphs - it's easier on the eye.

where can i send the files...its only text files so very light in weight...and im very happy that you are interested,as for crash issue nothing changed from the original masterpiece=never crash.the major work is done to my taste and i play it on a regular basis with very enjoyable and non repetitive gameplay i even been beeted by argos yesterday!so AI still kick ass particulary after 2 or 3 games years(36 turns)

oh and by the way can i join the team,on my side i have plenty of time(too much to say the truth)i dont know anything about graphics but i have some skills in physics,back in the days i made cars physics for viper racing(i learn a lot with that game...lots of fun)
    Last edited by Ragimund Von Wallat; November 19, 2009 at 08:42 AM.

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

to much text, need no life to read *ugh*

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

sorry i cant had explained it with picture....

To upload your files, you should first bundle them together in a zip, rar or other similar packed file. Then, in your reply to this thread, you can click the "Attachments" button (it's right next to the white smiley, to the right of fonts and sizes), and select it from there. That only works if it's under 50MB in size. If it's more, there's Filefront, which is what I used to upload TGW.

here it is...i wish im not forgeting a files that i have tweaked,so try it seleucos and say me what you think about it and thank you for your instruction i greatly appreciate.

Thanks! I'll test it as soon as I find the time (my PhD thesis is sucking most of my time these past few months...)

did anyone tryed it,gimme feed back,it cost nothing and contain absolutly no trans fat so its healthy for you guys lol.good luck for your big-brained,thick-glasses,shinny-dentals-crownding thesis seleucos =P(ahhh university students all the same)

Cinuz's Avatar Senator

it's been a while since i hadn't post here...right now i've lend rome total war to a friend, but when he's returnin it to me, i'm definitley goin to give this submod a try!!

I've done some testing, and I'm happy with what I see. I haven't had the chance to run a detailed campaign, to test the effects of your new building prices and unit training times, but it's next on my list. I think this should be patch 0.99 and it makes you the official team member in charge of AI and rebalancing!

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Welcome then!

well,thank you!.i know its not 100% polished im still tweaking it,im now on percentage of light infantry to hoplite ratio in ai army...and building repricing,some need a little tweak here and there but i feel we are headed to particulary good game set up.another flaw is the ai dont build enough its population so im trying to get rid of that,and i thing im gonna (try) to tweak siege length to a longer harde levelr to take settlement particulary the stone wall and higher fortification level because i feel that capital are sometime too easy to take....so if you have any hint let it know to your humble servan

How do you tweak siege lengths? Have you found a way to make an extra building that would affect that? Because it would be nice to have capitals be practically impossible to starve out, for gameplay reasons. Especially Athens.

it would be so nice that its exactly what im seeking for lol...i want to implement a building tree that upgrade the siege length,say 3 or 4 buldings like this,grain stock-grain house-water tank-full siege supply-(fortified port for athens that give an almost un starvable city),wouldnt it be fantastic im seeking a solution to this its surely possible just need to find how to do it.

another thing that could be cool is city defense upgrade say another 3 or 4 building that add more boiling oil and more deadly tower shooting this seem easier to acheive but i have not investigate it yet...if anyone have a ready to serve answer to that let me know!

We had tried to have level 4 walls be the same as level 3 walls but with ballista towers, but with no success, so we left level 3 as the final wall level (since higher ones only make it easier for the attacker, and look unrealistically high). We've also had no luck finding a way to add such new buildings to extend siege lengths so far.

i must admit that i broke my nose here too...by the time we find how,what do you think if i put javeliners and peltast in mercenery only.i tend to steer in that way for 2 main reason

1-later in game when computer are rich it recruit too much of theses giving strange battle and spilling there precious citizen in easely killable troops(maybe it resolve the probleme of AI population growth problem too)

2-citizen serve as hoplite only the poorer and non citizen meteque serve as light infantry as auxiliary troop...its not rare to read battle acount of that era that kind of statement ''at this time athens(or other city) did not have any light troops at hand)

do you think im steered in the right direction

That sounds like a very good idea. Keep me posted on what you find, it may well be worth implementing.

Achea's Avatar Ordinarius

When it was working (mine stopped...not sure why), it worked well, but the 0 turn recruitment led to exteremely large battles very often, which got quite boring and made the battles nearly all indecisive. Pumping out two units shy of an entire stack of Chosen Hoplites every two turns felt unrealistic, and engagments in Greece (barring the Persian Wars and the major battles in the Pelopenisian Wars) were of a very small scale. That said, the battles themselves felt more greek like and the hoplite on hoplite conflicts looked like the shoving matches they were. Good work on the sub mod .
    Last edited by Achea; December 17, 2009 at 05:40 PM.

i've been out of buisness for a couples of days so i had stopped the devlopement,but now im back and will re start improving the thing up,thanks Achea for the feedback,battle in that area where more or less 9000 hoplite plus auxiliary troops so 2 stack represent more or less an army,for the battle decisisvness im working on that by reducing light troops number(who historically never reach the number the mod allow)and by managing the population rise in citys so if you fought too much bloody battles you will run out of men maybe with that it will be ok...oh and for 0 turns recruitment i put it that way cause the soldier in that era were militia so its a part of their citizenship to have a military training and are ready to join the army whenever asked...and dont forget to use diplomacy,if you beat the hell out of ennemy army they will give you good chunk of money to keep you out of their city that will help before i fix the whole thing up

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast