Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Barba and Celsus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Barba and Celsus

"Again an other man who fails to see beyond the immediate consequences of an action. Granted, Celsus has struck the Epirotes a good blow. But tell me, what will his uncomunicated army do when Pyrrhus himself leads his entire army after him? Will he hide in his city and wait for us to come and save him? I still think his actions have done little good for us, and until Pyrrhus is actually dead, I will not give a good look to that man's actions!" said a senator...

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

[Lucius enters the Curia for the first time as a Senator. He asks to speak, and it is granted.]
    "Gentlemen, the issue here is not whether or not Celsus was justified in his actions, it is whether or not we can allow the rules of our republic to be cast aside for personal ambition cloaked in bettering the republic. The road to kings winds down a slippery slope, and if we are not careful, we may have another Tarquinius on our hands under the guise of a "defender of Rome". That is why I have cast my support behind the bill ordering Celsus to end his dangerous scheme and to return lawfully to Italian soil. That is all. Thank you, and long live the Republic."

[Edit: spelling]
    Last edited by Tazgrent; November 27, 2009 at 09:00 PM.

Pallas stands up, triumph glittering in his eyes as the words came pouring out from him

So, Senators, we have a man who has managed to save Rome from the brink of defeat, who, through but a single action, stemmed the Epirote threat. Yet so many of you are here, condemning him. Why? Because he was wise enough to know that the Senate's will has been fruitless? Oh how we have sat in this single room, calling for more punishments for Celsus than we had done more against Pyrrhus.

Celsus has accomplished what I intended him to do. My will and my plan has been finished. All that remains is for Barba to take the southern legion and assault Tarentum and Pyrrhus' army will be no more. When Tarentum falls, then the power of Epirus will be broken. No longer will we have the menace of Epirus breathing down upon our necks. The expansion into the east will bring us trade and riches beyond all that you can ever fathom!

Senators, do you not realize how in one single instance, Rome has became a power to be reckoned with around the world? Will you still blindly call for the execution and supplication of a general that has brought nothing but victory to Rome? Senators, the war will be won soon. Send forth all remaining legions to the south, do not stop the assault until Tarentum is taken. Slay them all until the streets of that city run red with blood and terror will seize the hearts of the Epirote soldiers. When that happens, our Republic's destiny in the annals of the world will be made.

Pallas dragged his chair in front of Statius' seat and sat down facing the man. He folded his hands and propped up his head while his elbows rested on his knees. Staring at Statius, he questioned with a smile on his face

What now, Statius? Where has that brazen tongue of yours gone? Where will you hide, I wonder, when the mob is roused in frenzy by the end of the night, when they realize who had saved them and who had doomed them? How will you continue to debase me when I had engineered this entire year's events right under your noses?

He leaned in and grabbed Staitus' head. In a menacing hiss, Pallas whispered into the man's ears

This City deserves a better class of Senators, and I'm going to give it to them. If you have but a sense of shrewdness, you will withdraw your candidacy for Tribunate, or risk the consequences of the very people you swore to represent.

Pallas laughs and pulls back, dragging his chair back to where it was, his falcon grey eyes gleamed. Pausing as he passed Bibulus, Pallas tilted his neck again, making that same audible CRACK. But this time, he did something more.

His left hand rose in the air and he made a threatening gesture with it. The index and middle finger formed a fork and pressed against his own throat. As he lowered the gesture, he pointed at Bibulus and smiled.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Lucius stands up in a swift motion.

"Do you not see the very thing I mean? These men threaten and bellow all proclaiming glory and victory when in their hearts they scheme and plan their own private ambitions! What happens if Pyhrrus defeats our legions in Tarentum? What then? Celsus has his legions in Greece, feasting and drinking! The way to Rome would be open and then where would we be, with no army or sane minds! Celsus *MUST* return his troops to Italy! Glory is NOTHING next to REASON! Long Live the Republic!"

He sits down once more.

"Indeed, Celsus may have won some battles, but the war is far from won. Pyrrhus, our main threat is only gone from our shores, but now aims to hunt Celsus and his men! If anything his suicidal mission has gained us time to take the entire South, and hopefully stop Pyrrhus if he defeats Celsus. Celsus is a foreigner in that land! The Epirotes may not love Pyrrhus, but just as if some barbarian came here and conquered us from a bad ruler, they will not support a foreign power more than they will support an Epirote King! Furthermore, if you have instigated this entire chaos, I say we take you now prisoner and send you to the Courts for challenging our very authority by being the mastermind behind this disrespect to our sacred institutions, dooming a Consul and thousands of men to their deaths! But of course, if Celsus were to win, then we would be forced to let you go. Pray that the rebel Celsus and his legions emerge victorious from this fight, as otherwise I, Gaius Petronius, will take this case to the Basilica!"
    Last edited by Ozy; November 27, 2009 at 10:32 PM.

So be it Petronius, drag me to the courts and let the Mob tear you and your family to pieces. Can you not see, senators, how our Republic is standing on the edge of victory? You would supplant that with the turmoil and uncertainty that had plagued us before?

But if the Republic so demands, I will turn myself in to the courts. But rest assured I will become a MARTYR, not a scapegoat for the Senate to pin the blame of victory upon!

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

"Victory!? I would say our Republic stands on the edge of TYRANNY! All here know that Celsus will demand a triumph, even though he has broken SACRED ROMAN LAW! He casually casts aside our ideals, and for what? Glory? Victory? What is Rome without our law!? Cloak your ambition behind martyrdom or glory if you wish, but do NOT come to this sacred Senate and tell us that this conquest is driven by PATRIOTISM! Would you want another king, Senator Pallas? Would you want to cast aside the Republic for "victory"? What is the cost of glory, senator? Long live the Republic!"

Lucius takes his seat once more.

Festinius stared into Pallas' cold, dead eyes and felt anger well up inside him and tighten around his heart like a vice whilst his mind whirled with fresh ideas.

It was Pallas who had put the idea of invasion into Celsus' head, Festinius had known it was not like the rash man he thought he knew, how could he punish Celsus knowing that Pallas was the man behind it all. Pallas' threat was evident as he made the gesture and Festinius waved the gesture away with a small laugh and smile, unseen to the other senators his hands tightly gripped his toga and bnched into fists, the knuckles turning a deathly white. Despite the combination of fear and anger circulating his system he rose to address the senators.

He cleared his throat and then began,

Indeed, well done Celsus on his tiumphant capture of most of the Epirote lands. But tell me, what happens now senators? Greeks are fickle and untrustworthy at the best of times and we have many of them already pledged to our banner. As well as this the cities around Apollonia the current residing place of Celsus are subdued, well done indeed. But Celsus was only fighting small forces, you yourself Pallas, told us that the greek mainland was empty of troops and that they were surely amassed into that one army under Pyhrrus.Now when the Epirote King steps upon his land thay was once conquered do you think he will rush in blind? No he will do what we have done and rally support, whos to say that our allies will not turn against us as he has shown the ability to do with the free peoples? What if the civilians of the newly subjugated city, upon seeing their King back on Greeces' shores rise up and rebuke Celsus. Then he is trapped like a rat, he will be crushed and Roman lives will have been wasted to secure new lands only for them to fall back into the hands of their former masters!

It must also be said that despite his good intentions he has defied our laws which make up the very foundation of this Republic! But, you have admitted to convincing him to do this, we allow you back into this house to speak and one of your first acts is to undermine us! Why should we not have you exiled if not killed? Go and live forever with these Greeks which you know so much about. You think the people will tear us apart, over the man who crucified their own Tribune?

I support the idea of having you tried in the Basilica and let the Gods have mercy on your soul.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Lucius jumps up in his seat in a flash.

"I too support the motion for a trial! Pallas has put the Republic at risk! Let him be judged for his crimes!"

So be it, Tribune, if you shall have my head, then you can have it.

But let me say this one thing before my inevitable trial begins. If the people had let me crucify their last Tribune without even lifting a finger, then what makes you think they won't do the same this time, especially since I have been right about the future not once but TWICE? Tribune, you'll realize that your inviolability is slowly being eroded away by the lack of confidence the people seem to display for you.

Pallas smiled coldly as he walked closer and closer to Bibulus. His unblinking eyes stared into the eyes of the Tribune and for a brief second, Pallas saw a flash of fear. Grabbing Bibulus in the same manner as he had grabbed Statius, he whispered in the man's ears.

Come to the baths tonight, bring guards if you wish. Your life is in my hands.

Pulling away, Pallas smiled at the man and strode toward the exits of the curia. Before leaving completely, he shook the folds of his toga and a single, black scorpion emerged from the folds. Arching its stinger, the creature scrambled around the Curia, dazed and confused at the light of day.

Crusades

As Aentinus exited, Felix stands and yells
    If you come back to the Curia, it will be the last you see of it!
    He sat
    Anyman that feels threatened by Aventinus, dispatch him as you please. He is has been labeled by this Senate, and he will receive what he so desperately wants.

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

As the senate died down into a deadly silence at the shock of what happened in front of their own faces Cato stood up.

So, this is what the Senate has come to. A place for people to openly threaten others as if this was some sort of crime syndicate!
    How can we, respected men of Rome, stand by and let our families be threatened so openly in our own seared halls of the Curia.

I fear this can only get worse, we travel a dirty road now, and the dust covers the way.
    I warn you fellow senators do not do anything rash for violence has now entered this game of ours!

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Aulus Statius who had stood quiet, enduring the threat and watching the talk after Rutulus' actions now stood.

Senators. This is what i warned would happen. Rutulus cannot be trusted, cannot be endured, cannot be negotiated with. For he will does not respect the traditions of this house, and does not respect those that do.

He talks of riots, and the people rising up. The only way that will happen, is if we allow him to remain, allow him to continue to spread his lies to the people.

Open threats in the curia is the best we can expect from Rutulus, remmember that he siezed Rome years ago, and is more than capable of doing so again.

He warns me to withdraw my canditure, I will not for i fear not what Rutulus is capable of. Let him intimidate the senate, let him try and control the curia. He will get worse and must be stopped before that happens.

Let word go to Rutulus, tear me appart if you wish. For it is the only way he will silence me. Silence the VOICE OF ROME

As to the Consul, we must consider carefully what is to be done, for he has broken the laws of Rome, and whether it be by his own design or annothers, he is still culpable for it. The sentance to death would now i think be unfair without further debate, for he achieved the conquest of Epius before we were able to send our thoughts to him. But if my collegue is correct, and he does demand a triumph that would be unseemly, unseemly for him, but perhaps not for the men he leads.

Senators, i ask, what should be done with Rutulus, and i ask, what should be done with Celsus?

"Pallas should be removed from Rome one way or another. I recommend something more permanent, as exile obviously did not work last time. As for Celsus, I do not think we need to go so far as execution. Simply demand he return to Rome and severely limit the extent of his power. It is obvious that Celsus is an ambitious man with little respect for the authority of the Senate. As I have said previously, we cannot allow a quest for glory to take precedence over our laws."

You overlook something Senators, this man has just verbally threatened as well as physically touched a Tribune of the people, why do you not cry out in outrage?
    Do you forget that our laws allow me to send men to kill him on the spot!? The gauntlet has been thrown down and he requests my presence at the baths tonight! Who will stand with me as I plunge a blade into his heart in retribution for the past Tribune murdered and the present Tribune abused and threatened!

All senators, Patrician and Plebiean alike it is time that we taught the justice of this republic to Pallas.

He strode across to Statius and gripped his arm and whispered to him,

We have him now, we are within the law to have him executed, we can bring this madman down, do I have your support?

He turned to the rest of the chamber,

SENATORS! He roared! DO I HAVE YOUR SUPPORT?

You have my support, Senator. I still have the spirit of a soldier in me, yet. What do we intend to do?[Lucius leans in to whisper] I warn you, he may have ears in the Curia, we would be better served discussing this elsewhere.

You have my support as well.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

"Perhaps we should take this to my home..."

Yes, that would be prudent.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Secrets are not needed, there is nothing he nor his supporters cannot do. He has touched a man who is sacrosanct, the only ones who can help him now are the Gods!
    I intend to gather as many as I can and we will go to Pallas and destroy him, his possesions will be given to the state and the sales of them will be given to the betterment of Rome!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast