Thread: [FM 2009]The Magpies:The Story of Dorchester F.C.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Default [FM 2009]The Magpies:The Story of Dorchester F.C.

Alex Redmond had been looking forward to this day. Jeff Daily, the old manager, was retiring. For Alex, his deputy and now replacement, this was his first managerial post. The thirty-four year old was excited to say the least. Eddie Mitchell, the team’s chairman, was there to greet Alex as he pulled up in his old Ford Mondeo. Outside the small Avenue Stadium where the club play their home games, the affable chairman offered his hand.

‘Welcome to your club, Mr. Manager,’ a wry smile leapt onto Eddie’s face,’you’ll do her proud.’ Alex readily took the hand and shook it.

‘I can only hope that I do,’ Alex said, trying to humble himself, and not appear as too excited.'

‘She’s in a tough shape, though I don’t need to tell you that.’ The chairman, relaxed as usual in an open collared shirt led his new manager into the clubhouse. They had been friends since Alex had joined the club as a coach two years ago, after he retired from professional football.

‘Well, it’s not as bad as they are saying.’ Inside the clubhouse Alex nodded towards the local paper. ‘We can do a lot better than not be relegated. A top half finish is entirely within our grasp.’ Eddie nodded but looked away. He knew that Alex had known of the club’s financial situation for a while, but he had never admitted it to him.

‘You know, I really hope so. She may be small, unknown, but, there’s just something, some... spirit around here.’ The two men looked around the small room, where the secretary staff usually worked, with it’s buzzing artificial light, it’s old fridge and dingy kettle in the corner. Still, there was something.

‘Let me show you your new office.’ Eddie led the younger man into one of two doors which were at the end of one side of the room. It looked out over the carpark, with a small desk and chair in front of the window. All the pictures and knick-knacks of Jeff’s which until the day before had furnished the room were gone. There was a stained desk, a large metallic filing cabinet, a telephone and that was about it.

‘Like I said, we’re in a tough shape at the moment. Not even a computer, but I will get that sorted for you soon enough. Jeff, as you know, was of the old mould. Not a great man for technology.’ Both men sat in silence for a minute or two.

‘You know as well as I do that I can’t offer you any funds at the moment. We are just not in that position. Many expect us to be relegated out of the league anyway. I’m sorry, but that’s the way it is.’ Alex contemplated on this for a short minute.

‘Well, then I’ll just have to get out-of-contract players, and some on a free. We should look into getting a parent club too, it wouldn’t hurt us. But right now, if that’s the way things are, I better get to work phoning around and looking at players.’

‘No rest for the wicked, hey? Good luck, I know you’ll do a great job.’ With that Eddie left the room, and Alex got on the phone.

The hunt started for new blood to revitalise this team that had already given up on the season. Everyone was writing them off, and they were believing it. Alex was familiar with Northern Irish football, and knew that it was often overlooked as a source of talent. Phoning around his contacts, one name was been suggested to him time and again, Niall Morgan, a 17 year old from Dungannon. Getting the number for the club’s manager, Alex was able to bash out an agreement. Niall would be sent over to Dorchester on a free, but Dungannon would get a slice of any future transfer deal. It was what Alex had hoped for, and soon he got into negotiations with the young man’s agent; his father. The deal was struck on the phone, and Niall would be the first, of hopefully many, signings that would grace Avenue Stadium.

Pre-season was a busy time for any manager, and especially for Alex. With a backroom staff of only five, including himself, it fell to him to deal with training schedules, contracts, and a lot of day to day running of the place. There were friendlies to prepare for, luckily Jeff had taken care of that before he left, and it was about time that Alex met the players for the first time as manager.

‘Alright lads, quiet down,’ the team had just returned from their summer break, and were busy catching up. ‘We have a lot to get through.’ They were used to being spoken to by Alex, he would have to whip them into order before Jeff got his bit in. ‘People are saying we can’t do it this season, that we are bound for the Sunday leagues. They say you are a bunch of pretenders, that I can’t manage by myself. There is only one thing to do, and that is to prove them wrong. Things are going to change around here, we are a proper outfit, and we are going to act like one. I know most of you are part-timers, some of you are here full-time, regardless of that, I want to see everyman pull his wieght. There will be new blood in here soon, and there will be competition for each and every place on that starting eleven. We are here to work, to do our job, to do it proudly and to do Dorchester proud.’ The atmosphere was hard to read. The team were quiet, they liked some of what they heard, disliked other bits. ‘You’ve had your summer break, now it is time toget back into shape. Roy,’ here Alex motioned towards Roy O’Brien, the new Assistant Manager,’will be helping you do just that. Tog out, lads, seasons nearly here.’

July 14th, the first game under new management. Bradford PA, a non-league side, had made the trip down to Avenue Stadium, where only 180 people turned out. ‘Right lads, I don’t tell you what you need to do. These guys want a scalp, they want to be bringing back a scalp. Don’t let ‘em. Show them why you are in the BSS, and they are not.’ Morgan made his start for the club, but apart from that Alex played a familiar outfield ten, there were no other players to play. It was a nervy start, you could tell the lads had been away, but they soon found their stride. The first goal came from a cross. Left back, Jake Smeeton, curled it in to Nick Crittenden, a winger, who rose above his marker and headed it in from six yards. That was all the drama for the first half, except for some wasted chances on Dorchester’s part. Like the first half, the second started out slowly, before Dorchester were able to reassert themselves again. Ryan Moss, Dorchester’s best striker, thought that wasn’t saying much, stabbed in from a couple of yards out to double the lead on 65 minutes. There were replacements all round, and substitute Ivan Forbes made the most of it when he scored well with around ten minutes left on the clock. 4 minutes before full time Ryan Moss popped up again to seal a good victory for Dorchester. The back four, despite there short comings, were able to hold off Bradford easily, and Morgan did not have an accurate attempt to deal with.

Jeff had packed the friendly schedule, and it gave the team only five days before their next game, though with two games following that only two days apart, it would seem like an enternity later to the weary team. Alex was not resting though, as he had his squad to stregthen. He had sent his lone scout, Nicky White, up north to Scotland, and he was giving feedback on the various reserve teams. From them Alex was able to get a promising young striker, Stephen Reynolds from St. Johnstone, as well as a good attacking left back, Daniel Lafferty from the Celtic reserves. Both were young, 16 and 19, and Alex hoped they’d develop into good players for the team.

The next game was against Eastbourne Boro, who were one league above Dorchester in the BSP. They would prove considerably harder than Bradford, and it was a bore draw, with the back four been attacked again and again, and it was only down to young Morgan and some poor finishing that the score remained level. Dorchester had some chances of their own, but never looked like winning. Lafferty and Reynolds both started, and performed well, but with ample room for improvement.

The next game against Tamworth was far worse, even with the excuse that the players were tired, it was obvious that there needed to be a strong pairing at the back, something which was the biggest weakness in an already weak team. The 3-0 defeat was a wake up to call to everyone involved.

‘Eddie,’ Alex approaced the chairman who was waiting for the kettle to boil in the club-hub, as the set up had taken to calling it. ‘you saw how weak our defense was against Tramworth. I need some cash to bring in a few new players. I have already picked out two or three I want, and at the most, they’ll cost us 10 grand, but it’ll be worth it.’ Alex prayed that Eddie would listen, a club looking relegation clean in the mouth needed to spend some cash to try and fight. If the chairman didn’t put up, Alex was sure the club would sink without a trace.
    ‘Let me think about it. What about the free transfers you have coming in, can’t you find a decent defender?’
    ‘Free transfers are for the very young, or those who couldn’t secure a contract with their old club. Both would make poor defenders, one for lack of experience, and the other, well, why do you think they didn’t get a renewal?’
    ‘I’ll get back to you. On the bright side, I have approached Arsenal about becoming a feeder club. They said yes. We can poach a couple of their reserves on a free loan.’ Alex couldn’t believe his luck, Arsenal were taking Dorchester as a feeder?! Great news.
    ‘Thanks, I’ll have a look at their squads now.’ With that Alex ran back into his office, and switched on the new computer which he had bought himself, Eddie had not come through on his promise.

Rene Steer, a young defender, came in from Arsenal. Although he usually played out on the wing, Alex was sure he could form one half of a decent partnership in the middle of the defence. Lafferty was performing well, and the midfield, built around the youngster Scott Allan, who had come in on a free from Dundee reserves, was looking stronger as well. With all the emphasis on the back, Alex had nearly forgotten about the all important goal scoring partnership at the front.
    'Roy,’ Alex shouted out of his office into the hub, where Roy Briggs was putting the finishing touches to the training regimes for the new season. 'we need some good strikers. Reynolds is too young to play consistently, though he will be a great scorer in a few seasons,we need someone who can pop 'em away today. I’m looking at Port Vale’s Kyle Perry. Could you have a proper look at him?’
    'Right so, boss.’ Briggs was an able second, the two had worked together for a few seasons already.

Eddie had left a letter on Alex’s desk, the chairman had gone to London to meet with the Arsenal development staff, and that’s where the manager had found it when he came in on Monday.They were due to travel to Kingstonian for a friendly match, and Alex just wanted to check up on some things before he left. The letter read:

Alex,
    I have made availible ten thousand pounds for you to spend in the transfer market. This is all I have, for the rest of the season, and you’ll have to sell players if you want to see more money. Make the most of it.
    Good luck,
    Eddie

Alex was ecstatic. He had only thrown the ten thousand pound mark out there so that if Eddie offered a lower amount, he could still get all he wanted with it. Straight away he rang up the Bognor Regis manager, and placed an offer for their experienced defender Duncan Jupp. For six hundred pounds, it was a great deal. As soon as it was done, he phoned up the Coleraine manager, where Howard Beverland played his football. A young right back, Alex had admired him on one of his scouting trips to Northern Ireland for Jeff, though at the time they didn’t have money for him. Two thousand pounds for a strong right back with an ability to go forward, as well as to improve, was a great piece of business. He felt that the two, Jupp and Beverland, would work well together, one able to hold back and defend, letting the other go up in support of an attack.

The trips away were not good. The first they drew 0-0, and the second, against Boston United, was also a 2-2 draw. Without the two new players, who were still in contract negotiations, Alex had not had much to see. Roy was away at Port Vale talking to Kyle Perry, so everything fell to Alex to organise. There last trip was to Folkstone, where they suffered a two-nil defeat. With a week to go before the start of the league, Alex was not a happy manager.

It took a further two weeks for the negotiations to go through. Eventually both Jupp and Beverland signed, though they weren’t ready in time to play in the two three nil defeats which started the season. Those, against Chelmsford and Welling, were an ignimonius start to the league. The third match, against Team Bath was better. Though they were defeated, two-one, at least they got on the score sheet, through the young Reynolds. It was a week later, on the 23rd of August, when Bishop’s Stortford arrived at Avenue Stadium, when Alex was ready to reveal his new signings. The back four were totally new to the club, with Beverland, Jupp, Steer and Lafferty lining up in front of Morgan. The mid and front six were more familiar, with only Scott Allan and Stephen Reynolds being new signings, though Alex hoped that that would change soon enough. The first goal came inside two minutes when a cross from Ryan Moss met the head of the unmarked Stephen Reynolds to make it 1-0 Dorchester. Things settled down, with the stregthened defence making things easier for Morgan in goal. Around five minutes before half-time debutant Beverland curled in a cross which went too close to goal, but luckily, it went far too close and was his first goal for his new club. 2-0 Dorchester. Two minutes later though, Bishop’s Stortford pulled on back when Jupp’s headed clearance fell to Murphy, who slotted it in to score. 2-1 going into half time. That’s how the score would remain throughout the second half, with some great defending from goal scorer Beverland contributing to Dorchester’s first win of the league season.

‘Well done lads,’ Alex greeted them with a nod to each player as they entered the dressing room. ‘You did well. Great attacking spirit, and you dug deep to keep you lead and win. It was a deserved win.Congratulations.’ Alex was always brief with his players, and after they had showered and gone home for their deserved rest, he spoke with the chairman.
    ‘Three thousand pounds, Eddie, and look what I did.’ Alex gave the chairman and his friend a cheeking grin.
    ‘Well, it’s a good start, but how do you think they’ll do down the line? Jupp isn’t young, and Beverland isn’t experienced. Though, I trust you.’
    ‘They’ll work well together. I have a few more faces coming in too, so they won’t be the only ones dealing with all the pressure.’
    ‘Spent more of my money then have you? I shouldn’t have given you it all. That was my kids private school fees. You just better hope that you make the club a success so I can get it back, or else I’m sending the missus after you.’ Both men had a good laugh together, but Alex knew it was true. Eddie wasn’t a rich man, and he had given more than he really couldn’ve to the club. Alex would just have to repay him with an excellent football team.

Alex spent another six thousand pounds bringing in three new faces, Thomas Nolan was a promising midfielder from Kilmarnock, while Steve Adams was a more experienced defensive mid from Torquay. However, the real excitement was over Kyle Perry, a youngish striker from Port Vale, who had not been given a chance at that more illustrious club, but would be key for Alex’s plans at Dorchester. The first test for his new players would be at home against Weston-super-Mare, a good side, but one which the bookies expected Dorchester to win against. There was one last player which Alex brought in before that match, a very promising right midfielder from Lewes, the seventeen year old David Wheeler. Thus, having spent his transfer budget, Alex Redmond was confident he had put together a side that was capable of keeping Dorchester in the BSS, and possibly things even greater than that.

The teamsheet for that weekends game went up on Friday. Playing in his regular 4-4-2 formation, all four wing players, in midfield and defense, were encouraged to go forward,while one midfielder was selected to cover in front of the defenders. Nolan and Adams were to make their debut in midfield, with Adams being the one to help cover the defence, while Wheeler, who was still getting settled at the club, would sit this one out. Wes Fogden would take up duties on the right of the two new signings. The back four was kept from the victory over Bishop’s Strotford. Perry made his debut at the expense of Reynolds, who was demoted to the bench. Kevin Hill finished off the outfield players, playing to the left of Nolan and Adams, while Morgan was kept between the sticks. This was Alex’s preferred starting XI, though injuries, and in- and out- of form players would keep things interesting throughout the year.

‘Right lads, this is one you can win. Weston aren’t that great of a side, though if you switch off they’ll make you pay. I know you can do it, and I think you do too. For three of you this is your first time playing for Dorchester, for others it may be your second or third time. No matter, you are all playing for Dorchester, and you will all play proudly for that badge. Now, go out there, and do what you do best. You can win, lads, so... win.’

It was Weston who took the lead though, through a counter attack in the 40th minute. going into hald time it was 1-0 them. Perry scored though in the 59th minute to level it up, running onto a through ball from Moss. Though Dorchester pressed for a second, it wasn’t forthcoming, and 1-1 was how things ended. Kyle Perry made a good impact on the game, and came away with the match ball, and man of the match, for his contribution.

Five games into the season, this was how things stood in the Blue Square South:

Last edited by Junius; November 18, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Citizen

Default Re: [FM 2009]The Magpies:The Story of Dorchester F.C.

The next game was a Conference League Cup first round one against Bognor Regis. It would see Duncan Jupp line up against his former club. Dorchester could not field a full first team, as Lafferty, Morgan and Beverland were away with the Northern Ireland under-19 sqaud. Gareth Stewart filled in for Morgan, while Bowles and Jermyn returned to the centre of defence, with Jupp and Steer being moved out to the wings. Bognor Regis threatened from free kicks at the edge of the area, and Perry had a shot headed clear off the line, but still there was no score at half time. Jupp put one in from a corner, to score his first goal for his new club, against his old one. Wheeler made his debut, coming on for Nolan, as well in this game, which finished 2-0 after a deflected own goal sealed the win for Dorchester. Jupp, obviously up for it, got himself named man of the match.

The Northern Irish contingent were back in action for the away tie against fellow relegation maybes Newport Co. Alex, seeing that his team had come somewhat together, tried his hand at a new tactic. Emphasising defence, the 3-2-3-2 lineup made use of the two Northern Irish defenders, Lafferty and Beverland, as wingbacks, while a strong central midfield cluster would hopefully stop any advances made through the middle of the park. Reynolds and Perry were paired up front, with the final three at the back stationed in front of the goalie, Niall Morgan.

The game got off very well for Dorchester, with Steve Adams making the most of a Wheeler cross from just inside the 18 yard box before five minutes had gone on the clock. The defence sat tight and held off the home side, before Perry latched onto an over the top ball from Fogden to double it in the 72nd minute and seal an important 2-0 victory away.

With transfers being allowed all season round for the Blue Square sides, Alex made the most of it by snapping up another young talent from Scotland. Graeme Eaglesham was a nineteen year old from Patrick Thistle, who’d do well up front with Perry while Reynolds developed.

The next game was another away tie, and Dorchester won it 2-1, though they should have gotten more than that. The same tactics and lineup were used, except Reynolds made way for the newly signed Eaglesham. It was against Hayes & Yeading, with Thomas Nolan opening up the scoring in 26th minute, putting in a clearance that fell to him inside the 18 yard box. Cadmore got one back for Yeading, but Perry converted a penalty, a cheap one given away when Beverland was taken down just inside the box trying to cross it, in the 52nd minute. Dorchester would be at home for their next league tie against Maidenhead, having secured six points on their travels.

The game against Maidenhead was seen as two points thrown away. Dorchester weren’t defeated, they held onto their undefeated run, which stretched back to the middle of August, but they really should have won the game. Alex was sympathetic with players afterward, but they were doing far better than expected, and should be proud of that. The final score was 1-1, with Perry getting on target once again for his new side.

‘We seem to be doing pretty well Alex. What’ve you put in their drinks?’ Eddie appeared at the door of Alex’s office. It was dark outside, the nights lengthening now it was entering late September.
    ‘I just give them a little TLC. No wait, I mean LCD.’ Alex was finished for the day, and could joke now that all the paper work for the FA qualifying tie had been finished.
    ‘Ready for the part-timers?’ Eddie asked, referring to Fleet Town, the non-league side that Dorchester had being drawn against.
    ‘Ready as I’ll ever be.’ Alex got up from his desk and was getting his coat and hat. ‘Pub? Me and Roy are going down to watch the match, you want to join us?’
    ‘Yeah, alright, the missus can miss me for a night. Who’re they showing?’
    ‘Arsenal v. Everton. League Cup game. I thought we might head down and show our support for our new favorite team.’
    ‘Just as long as we don’t over do it, you especially, can’t have the team waking up to a hungover manager before the big game. Just putting my chairman hat back on, we can’t afford to go out so early in the Cup, you know how big a deal the cheques are.’
    ‘Don’t worry about that. The lads’ll do grand, and I won’t have more than two pints, I promise.’

‘This is their big chance. This is their biggest chance to prove to everyone that they are a good football team. They don’t get to play players of your quality week in, week out. They are Sunday leaguers, looking for a cheque to by them some football shirts and maybe a few cones. They are not professionals. You can beat them, you should beat them. But they are not worrying about that. That is the beauty of the Cup, at the start of the season any team can win it. Any team. Even Fleet Town. Don’t forget that. They can win, they can beat you. You have to respect that. Once you do, you will beat them. Respect them, play to the best of your abilities, and you’ll come away from this victorious. Good luck lads, play well.’

In the end it was a dominant display. Dorchester won 5-0, with the only down side being the injuries to David Wheeler and Graeme Eaglsham, both out for around a week and a half. David Wheeler popped two in before he had to be subbed out at half time, the first was a freak corner that curled into the net, the second was a great free kick. Reynolds, on for the injured Eaglesham, got on the score sheet twice, with Nolan rounding off the scoresheet with a thundering effor from the edge of the box. Alex, the team and the chairman were happy. It was a good display, and one that gave them confidence going into their final match of September, another meeting with Bognor Regis.

It was a supreme performance from the Dorchester midfield, with Allan rifling in from outside the area to make it 1-0 early on. He then converted a penalty to make it 2-0, before Jupp gave one away at the other end, allowing Bognor Regis to pull one back. It looked like it was going to be a nervy last few minutes, before Moss, on from the bench, drilled one into the bottom left hand corner of the net from all of thirty-five yards to make it a 3-1 victory for Dorchester.

‘Great lads,’ Alex greeted them at the end of the match. ‘An undefeated September, and you showed real character in every match. I’ve got some more good news for you, our very own Steve Allan has picked up the Player of the Month award. A good player can be nothing without a good team, and Allan has been a good player, but has had his teammates work hard for him to shine. Well done lads.’

Things had gone well in September. All Alex’s transfers had come through, and the team were geling well and performing as a unit. They were lying fifth in the league, though they had played one more game than most. With only three loses, and none since the introduction of the new faces and new tactics, Alex was happy as could be. Without any unforeseen events, this was going to be a good season of football.

Patron of Lysimachus

Citizen

It was a full October schedule, with seven games in total. The first was on the fourth, against an out of form Bromley side. In the end it was another loss for Bromley, with Dorchester notching up three goals away from home, against Bromley’s one. Perry, Lafferty and Moss all got on the score sheet, with Lafferty’s contribution earning him the man of the match award.

‘Quite a kid you got there in Lafferty, Alex,’ Roy said after the game. ‘Nice find.’
    ‘Thanks, just doing my job. Him and Beverland are performing well. I like that they are getting to play together on the international level as well.’
    ‘Yeah, nice to get a bit of a run out, even at the U-19 level.’
    ‘Only downside is that we don’t get to play him sometimes. They are away for a few games this month, which given that we have a hectic fixture list, is going to mean that some of the lads are going to get very tired.’ Alex left Roy to try and figure out the tactics he was going to play without Lafferty or Beverland. The 3-2-3-2 lineup couldn’t work without them, so something different had to be played. Finally he settled on a 4-3-1-2 set up, hoping that his team could play the ball through the middle, though he wouldn’t find out how successful until the end of the month, when the two youngsters departed for their international duty.

The next game was three days later, another away trip, this time to Havant & Waterlooville, for a Conference League Cup tie. It was a dull match, 0-0, and it had to go all the way to penalties, which Dorchester won, thanks to Niall Morgan’s save. There were more goals scored a week later, when Dorchester played host to non-Leaguers Hastings United for an FA Cup Qualifying Tie. It was a magnificant display from Kyle Perry, who netted four in a 5-1 demolition of the part timers. Howard Beverland got the other goal, while Hastings pulled one back right at the death as minor consolation.

There were two league games, within three days of each other, after the Hastings game. Both Fisher and Worcester were at the wrong end of the table, and Dorchester continued to pile on the misery for their fans. Niall Morgan kept a clean sheet for both those games, where Dorchester won 2-0 in each. Perry kept his fine run of form as he scored one goal in each game, with the others being supplied from Smeeton and an own goal for Worcester. However, the wins were not the major talking news, as Lafferty had to be stretchered off in the first of the two ties, the one against Fisher.

‘It’s bad, isn’t it?’ Alex knew as soon as he saw the physio, he only asked to know how bad it was.
    ‘He’s broken his leg’ Geoff Dine, the physio, replied. ‘He’s out for the season.’ Alex was speechless for a moment. This was terrible news, Lafferty, his golden kid, out. There was cover, but Lafferty was a big part of the setup. Steer, the loanee from Arsenal, would have to step in, but he didn’t have the same strength going forward as the young Northern Irisher had.
    ‘That’s bad, real bad. It’s going to be hard to continue this run without him, though we’ll have to try.’ Alex left the hospital distraught. He had called Eddie, though he didn’t pick up, the news was left in a voice message.
    ‘Right,’ Alex thought to himself as he made his way through Dorchester town to his apartment, ‘what’re you going to do? Steer can pick up for Lafferty, and Beverland is good down the right, but does this call for a change of tactics. The 3-2-3-2 has been working well, really well. I’ll give it a shot in the next couple of games, see how it goes.’

So it was that Dorchester lined up for their game against Wimbeldon, to see who would get into the FA Cup proper. It was a boring affair, Wimbeldon having the better of it in front of a home crowd. Despite being put under pressure, Morgan and the Dorchester defence, of Steer, Winter and Hill, Jupp having a minor injury and Beverland being away, held out. In the end it was 0-0, and the replay was to be played in three days, this time in front of the Dorchester fans.

It was a nervy affair at Avenue Stadium, neither team dominating over the other. On the stroke of half time, however, Eaglesham played a lovely through ball to Perry, who picked up and scored. It remained 1-0 til the 86th minute, when Frost, Wimbeldon’s striker, made the game level. Extra time, and Dorchester just couldn’t seem to get a winner, regardless of the pressure they put Wimbeldon under. In stoppage time young Scott Allan, on as a sub, took a shot from out side the area which flew past the keeper into the top left hand corner. Dorchester were threw!

‘Nice work lads, though you made me nervous, you could have killed the game off earlier and not reduced my life expectancy by fifteen years.’ There was a nervous laugh at this, the players knew themselves it shouldn’t have gone to extra time, but it was nice of the manager to dress it up in such terms. ‘We only have a short break between now and our match against Hampton & Richmond. I don’t need to tell you that October was our second month in a row that we;ve gone undefeated. Let’s make November the same, but one better. Let’s win every game, you know you can do, you have the ability. Now, go get some sleep, relax, tomorrow’s training is cancelled, we need you full of energy for Hampton.’ There were smiles all round at this last piece of news. A day off would be welcome, to catch up on sleep and let the muscles relax. They knew they had a job ahead of them. Hampton were challenging for a play-off place, and after them they had a big game against Welling, the league leaders.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Goooo Magpies!

Citizen

I'm spending too much time play FM, I'm too good at it, at least to make a decent story. Thanks for the support btw.
    Patron of Lysimachus

L-O-V-E it mate. Love the game too.
    I should really get it out from under all that dust once more.
    | "I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it." |

My Workshop |The Graphics Workshop| Critic's Quill |Imperium Graecorum

Ariovistus Maximus's Avatar Troll Whisperer

Cheers for pioneering the art of the non-TW AAR!
    Land of the Free! Home of the

Citizen

There was bad news for the team as November rolled around. They had been drawn in the FA Cup First Round against Peterbrough, a League 1 side. Dorchester were punching well above their weight in the Blue Square South, that that was three divisions below League 1, with the BSP and League 2 in between. Luckily, however, it was at home, so there still might be something in the game for them.

But before that, there was a tripe to Hampton and Richmond, a mid-table side, who hadn’t been performing either too well or too bad. Perry grabbed an early goal, which survived as the only mark on the score board going into half time. After the break, however, H&R put on the pressure, grabbing an equaliser early on. They continued to press forward, and were rewarded with another in the 76th minute. It looked like it would be an end to Dorchester’s undefeated run, but Kyle Perry struck in the first minute of added time to make it a 2-2 draw. There were several knocks taken, with five players having to come off injured, including Kevin Hill, who would be out for two weeks and Danny Clay, who would be ruled out for four weeks.

Welling were next. They were flying high, enjoying the top place in the league. However, this was not a league game, instead it was the Conference League Cup South 3rd Round. Welling had defeated Dorchester earlier on in the league 3-0, so it was revenge when Alex Redmond’s team waltzed out 4-0 easy winners. Goals from Kyle Perry, Graeme Eaglesham, Steve Adams and Stephen Reynolds put the seal on an enjoyable day for the Dorchester fans.

The big game was next. The League 1 side was sitting in a playoff place, so Dorchester knew this was going to be tough. Alex gave a stirring speech before kick-off, telling his players to ignore the pundits, ignore the naysayers, and go out and perform. Peterbrough, however, were good for their money, and showed why they were sitting pretty in League 1. Dorchester were not timid going forward, and perhaps should have scored a goal, but Peterbrough were just too good. A stupid penalty gave the visitors an early lead, which they doubled on the 30th minute. It remained 2-0 nearly until the death, with Dorchester putting in a good display, but their defeated was a settled matter thanks to a shot from Chris Whelpdale, Peterbrough’s right winger.

So Dorchester crashed out of the Cup, but the league was where their main focus still lay. They had Bath next, who had taken over from Welling in the top stop, due to the victory over them by Dorchester.
    Patron of Lysimachus

*puts on the hooligan gear*

I think a riot may be in the works... the game was obviously fixed! The Magpies would never go down 3-0!

Edit: Ooops, forgot about the game with Welling!

RIOT ANYWAY!
    Last edited by Santini; November 29, 2009 at 03:07 PM.

nice i live in dorchester great place anyway good AAR, wll written(sp)