Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: EDU-matic: Automatic unit balance/EDU generation system

Default Re: EDU-matic: Automatic unit balance/EDU generation system

Tool updated to version 1.4, check the opening post for download link (and info on the tool in general).

Major changes from 1.3:

• Unit info line will disabled for Kingdoms, will only be active for M2TW where it is used

• Error message regarding the short_pike requirement for phalanx/schiltrom fixed, and will now come up only when appropriate

• "Allow free-upkeep" attribute added to unit classes

• Heat modifier added to dwelling types, as well as armour types

• Extra positive or negative shield and defence skill points from armour (model) upgrades now applied (weighted) to new armour rating

• Several other minor improvements/fixes in formulas

Many thanks to everyone giving feedback!

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

You might find the PDF Manual I made helpful - it is for version 1.4.

You're the man, thanks! Will include in the download.

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    One is glad to be of service
    Is there anything you don't do?!?!
    Last edited by Squid; March 27, 2010 at 11:59 PM.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Try me...

Rhaymo's Avatar Artifex

i have unit definitions in old version of edu.
    how do i import them in the new release of edu??
    If i paste definitions (where column fields match) i get a message like :
    "Formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name "blabla" which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name?

Do i have press "Yes" button??
    Team Leader De Bello Mundi

You can ctrl+A to select the contents of all cells on the UnitDefs sheet, paste them in a blank .txt file (so that the formula-related info each cell has is lost and only the actual contents remain) and then copy them from the .txt to the new sheet.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

I have the new EDU,just some thoughts.

1. Pilum??? Where???
    2. Range for missile I found dependant on Mods,ie max range for Bow is 187/Sling 293/and Javelin 73 in TE Gold,but alters in others. So by your guide,it is best to say use your range data as a % guide with LCBow(Inf) @190 +5 light arrow,as max range base for example in case of arrows.
    3. Slings hmm,I tried using a 2hand sling(no shield on model),as longer slings where used but no data. Is 1.5x range for this appropriate? Can you decide on some data,as you include the missiles,but no variation on the sling itself. Hmm Staff Sling?????
    4. I don't know anyway to alter ammo types in battle,ie clay to lead slings,so we need seperate models per missile(ammo) type,aghhh? Bows 4 models & Slings 3 each...^_*,not including Cavalry.
    5. Culture type,how to adjust for RTW?
    6. Quality type,I have adjusted to match Settlement level as a guide,since units are usually better quality the higher the settlement needed.
    1.Inferior Village & Town
    2.Regular Large Town
    3.Superior City
    4.Elite Large City
    5.Bodyguard Huge City
    7. 1H axe/mace not ap???? Oh...
    8. 1H & 2H lance when not in charge is aghhhh...1???? I use 1H spear cav as 1.5x charge and 2H as 2x charge bonus,with atk as normal spear.

Good work,just hoping the other skeletons get included,as data is limited to your skeleton types for now.

1. Pilum??? Where???
    As stated in the documentation multiple times, the idea behind the tool is NOT to provide every single weapon/armour/whatever, but just a system where the user can add those things that he wants himself. If you don't see pilum there, you add it.

2. Range for missile I found dependant on Mods,ie max range for Bow is 187/Sling 293/and Javelin 73 in TE Gold,but alters in others. So by your guide,it is best to say use your range data as a % guide with LCBow(Inf) @190 +5 light arrow,as max range base for example in case of arrows.
    The stat values in the tool are suggested/wip/placeholder values. Again, the idea is that users change them to whatever they like. The tool is supposed to provide an infrastructure, the actual stat values are there to be changed.

3. Slings hmm,I tried using a 2hand sling(no shield on model),as longer slings where used but no data. Is 1.5x range for this appropriate? Can you decide on some data,as you include the missiles,but no variation on the sling itself. Hmm Staff Sling?????
    See above.

4. I don't know anyway to alter ammo types in battle,ie clay to lead slings,so we need seperate models per missile(ammo) type,aghhh? Bows 4 models & Slings 3 each...^_*,not including Cavalry.
    Not sure what you're asking here.

5. Culture type,how to adjust for RTW?
    Just change the text on the first column where the culture names are mentioned... If you want to add extra cultures, just add new rows to that table (between its first and last row)

6. Quality type,I have adjusted to match Settlement level as a guide,since units are usually better quality the higher the settlement needed.
    1.Inferior Village & Town
    2.Regular Large Town
    3.Superior City
    4.Elite Large City
    5.Bodyguard Huge City
    Whatever works best for you.

7. 1H axe/mace not ap???? Oh...
    See points 1-3. The stats themselves are there to be changed.

8. 1H & 2H lance when not in charge is aghhhh...1???? I use 1H spear cav as 1.5x charge and 2H as 2x charge bonus,with atk as normal spear.
    See above.

Good work,just hoping the other skeletons get included,as data is limited to your skeleton types for now.
    Adding any other skeletons means I have to download every skeleton ever made, add them all to my game and then test them all out extensively. This takes *much* time, which I don't have. So, this is for players/modders who want to test their mod's skeletons out themselves and then simply add the data to the table so that the tool can then use it.

OK,I thought the data was a base model which your costs are calculated on,based on your gaming experience and testing. Sorry I missed they are WIP/placeholder values,that you can alter it,my error. I usually take your gaming data as gospel so to speak,so didn't think to alter. ^_*

Yes,skeletons are stressful work,I was just hoping there may be some inclusion.

Missile ammo types is referencing to there being a need now for a seperate model for each ammo type,as we can't change the ammo,ie fire to normal arrow,in battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    OK,I thought the data was a base model which your costs are calculated on,based on your gaming experience and testing. Sorry I missed they are WIP/placeholder values,that you can alter it,my error. I usually take your gaming data as gospel so to speak,so didn't think to alter. ^_*
    lo, thanks, but you should take nobody's words as gospel. The values in the sheet are relatively ok, but there are entries there from NI, VI2, FATW and EB, so they are not well balanced with eachother, even if each one is perfectly balanced in the context of its own mod.

Yes,skeletons are stressful work,I was just hoping there may be some inclusion.
    Sorry, way too much to do atm to tackle this.

Missile ammo types is referencing to there being a need now for a seperate model for each ammo type,as we can't change the ammo,ie fire to normal arrow,in battle.
    In some ways it's good, it allows for diversity.

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

i just found out about this great thread Congratulations Aradan
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

OK I did not know the source of your calculations,I was trying to figure out a balance between attack and armour factors. As you know the MTW2 armour ranges differ from RTW,at about 11 max for soldiers,but 18 tops in RTW(no shield),but weapon ranges seem about same(I think CA used a half armour(ie a RTW Crusader has 22 armour,not 11 in MTW2)rating in MTW2 to speed up battles?). So I have to adjust for RTW values. Knowing the data sources helps now,thanks.

Rhaymo's Avatar Artifex

ehmm, i'm again getting:

"Primary weapon (Sarissa) should have short_pike attribute in order to support schiltrom formation."

i'm getting this message for KGDM mod platform.

I'll fix it and update.

Fixed and download updated.

Rhaymo's Avatar Artifex

how do i import "core data" in this new release of edu?? via txt file?

Yep.

If you know how to open the macro, you can simply copy+paste the macro of the new version on top of the old one's macro.

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

There seem to be no fields related to the hardy attributes. Are they there? If not, do you plan on adding them? If not, why?