Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: EDU-matic: Automatic unit balance/EDU generation system

fightermedic's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: EDU-matic: Automatic unit balance/EDU generation system

hi aradan
    would it be possible to include something like a allow_free_upkeep switch to the recruitment class and quality class section in the unit classes section of the coredata spreadsheet
    because right now it looks to me like you did tie this to the allow is_peasant switch
    and one (me for certain ) might like to have e.g. some free upkeep nobles
    or did i just not see the right switch?

many thanks in advance

You can always create a new Specialty type and give it the 'peasant' special ability (you choos ewhich units to belong to that category)
    or
    you can set AllowIsPeasant for Noble and Elite to Yes

and that will make units of that category/Elite Noble units have the is_peasant and the free_upkeep_unit attribute.

I figured that usually peasant/local militia units would be the ones with free-upkeep, hence the connection between free_upkeep and is_peasant. Does that work well enough for you? If not, I can figure sth out.

yea in some way that would work of course... did allready think that way
    but wouldn't one have units with only half the garison value then?
    i think i'd rather add the free upkeep value to the units i want it to have manually

well the whole thing is nothing of dire importance but if you ever have a free minute maybe after completing the heat stuff (good idea btw) you could have a look at this matter

regards

Ideas as to what the free_upkeep could be tied to (or should it be an 'independent' special ability)?

if anything i'd ad another switch called "allow_free_upceep" to "recruitment class" and "quality class" as an option of its own
    just like the is_peasant one
    this way anyone can choose as it pleases her/him
    by default you could ad it to peasants only still *shrug*

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    Stat_heat affects the speed at which fatigue is depleted, along with the map's heat value. On heat_value 0, stat_heat is unimportant. On heat-value 4, it makes a huge difference. We ahd posted some old research we had done on FATW about this, let me find it...

EDIT: Search function at .Org currently doesn't work, so you'll have to take my word for it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Fatigue/Exhaustion should be seperate from heat effects,but it is not here. Factions should have better 'speed' modifiers per terrain,ie Hill tribes in mountains,Barbarians in snow or forest,easterns in desert etc,and fatigue tied to terrain and armour and heat yes. But,instead CA just says Fatigue is only heat tied,so you have Egyptians at -2 heat being the fittest race of all!!!! And Barbarians are the weakest!!!! Aghhh.

I am not sure how to make fatigue & heat better defined in RTW????

Heat can be tied to fatigue, the hotter it is the faster one gets tired assuming the same actions performed, no? What effects would you have heat have?

As for terrain modifiers, ok they don't apply to speed, but they apply to combat, at least that's something.

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    if anything i'd ad another switch called "allow_free_upceep" to "recruitment class" and "quality class" as an option of its own
    just like the is_peasant one
    this way anyone can choose as it pleases her/him
    by default you could ad it to peasants only still *shrug*
    Sounds reasonable.

First of all, I'd like to say great job on this and congrats at finishing it.

Now, I'd like to ask if there is a way of removing a limitation imposed by the tool? It restricts some units from carrying shields, and I can't find a way of telling the tool to let me keep them. It also says I should add short_pike to my phalanx units so that they can use Schiltrom, even though I don't want them to, and schiltrom doesn't work on the ALX platform.

Code:
    Unit cannot wield   a shield of that size (3. medium).       
    Unit cannot wield a shield of that size   (3. medium).       
    Unit cannot wield a shield of that size   (2. small).       
    Primary weapon (Sarissa) should have   short_pike attribute in order to support schiltrom formation.
    Primary weapon (Sarissa) should have   short_pike attribute in order to support schiltrom formation.       
    Any way to remove these error messages?
    Thanks.

edit: I figured out that making the shields smaller for the two pike infantry got rid of those errors, but I want to keep the medium sized shield for them.

Now I'm getting a
    Runtime error 1004.
    Unable to get the Vlookup of the WorkSheet function class.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Roman_Man#3; February 03, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman_Man#3 View Post
    First of all, I'd like to say great job on this and congrats at finishing it.

Now, I'd like to ask if there is a way of removing a limitation imposed by the tool? It restricts some units from carrying shields, and I can't find a way of telling the tool to let me keep them. It also says I should add short_pike to my phalanx units so that they can use Schiltrom, even though I don't want them to, and schiltrom doesn't work on the ALX platform.

Code:
    Unit cannot wield   a shield of that size (3. medium).       
    Unit cannot wield a shield of that size   (2. small).       
    Any way to remove these error messages?
    Thanks.

edit: I figured out that making the shields smaller for the two pike infantry got rid of those errors, but I want to keep the medium sized shield for them.

Now I'm getting a
    Runtime error 1004.
    Unable to get the Vlookup of the WorkSheet function class.

Any ideas?
    Regarding the schiltrom error, I'll fix it asap, a brain cramp on my part.

As for the shield size, you just go the the weapons (Sarissa) and on column P there's a "max shield size". Just increase a higher level option from the list.

i think i found another bug aradan
    tried to create a ship unit and i'm getting an error quite similar to the one i got with the elephants
    in case you want to have a look at it
    http://www.file-upload.net/download-...U-AOM.xls.html

Fixed. I haven't changed the version info, it's a small thing. 1.4 will be a big-ish upgrade it seems.

And I thought the tool was fairly bug-free.

Could you tell me how to do the fix myself? Whenever I try to copy-paste my information into the new worksheet I get a Runtime 1004 error. Apparently this is a problem with copy-pasting macros/from workbook to workbook, so would I be able to go about changing the VBA myself?

I haven't yet fixed the problem you reported, actually, this was a fix for fightermedic's issue. What you reported is slightly more complicated, and I'm too tired atm to think straight, so I'll deal with that tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    I haven't yet fixed the problem you reported, actually, this was a fix for fightermedic's issue. What you reported is slightly more complicated, and I'm too tired atm to think straight, so I'll deal with that tomorrow.
    Ah, ok, that would explain why it still doesn't work.

Ok, I've fixed the problem and also made some improvements in the code, and added a heat mdf for dwelling and a allow free_upkeep for quality and recruitment.

Two things to do for 1.4:

1. Add the heat modifier to armour materials and decide how exactly to calculate it, which bodyparts count and what about multiple coverage.

2. Decide what to do with extra shield points resulting from shield upgrades (that's for the advanced version). Currently they are ignored and the shield value of the unit is the shield value of the 1st (0 upgrade) model. Not sure if I should add any points resulting from upgrades to armour or if the shield value should be sth like 0.5 * upgr0-ShieldValue + 0.3 * upgr1-ShieldValue + 0.1 * upgr2-ShieldValue + 0.1 * upgr3-ShieldValue (assuming all upgrades possible)...
    Last edited by Aradan; February 04, 2010 at 09:35 PM.

great work as always

Rhaymo's Avatar Artifex

Are you planning to add heat attribute also for shields?
    i think keeping a large scutum in your hand is different from keeping a little round shield, especially in a desert zone.
    Also MountType should affetct heat attribute (thinking unarmoured horse vs cataphract)

I also have another question. In my mod i have germanic and indians (maurya). They both live in forests. But in winter, germanic forest have snow meanwhile indian forests haven't snow. I have several situation like this (scandinavian coast have snow, mediterranean haven't snow)
    How can i get these situations with Dwellingtype??
    Team Leader De Bello Mundi

Shields are already accounted for as fatigue goes, because fatigue is calculated according to the weight carried by the soldier and shield weight is included there.

As for your problem with forests, simply add a new dwelling type (a new row in that table) and give it the attributes you want.

Darkstar's Avatar Senator

Can this program read units from an existing EDU? Not sure if it's possible but it would be really useful to read in an EDU, balance it, and then export it.

I don't think reading an EDU is enough provide the tool with the info necessary for balancing it. The data people fill in in UnitDefinitions can't be found in the EDU. For instance, how is the tool to know what kind of speciality unitX is supposed to have or what its class is supposed to be?