Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: EDU-matic: Automatic unit balance/EDU generation system

Default Re: EDU-matic: Automatic unit balance/EDU generation system

It can't modify any existing file actually, it can only generate a new one. Modifying an existing file would require a very different approach.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

As for armour,I was told the linen layer armour refers to the egyptian style armour. So how can I show linothorax type armour-what value to assign? Is it more than leather(8.5) or less? Linen is 6 value. Banded or Lamellar is what value? It would be less than solid bronze,perhaps bronze chain + bronze plate/2 to get an average?

Hi Aradan or anyone still interested in this tool. First let me congratulate you for this work!

However I have recently started to use it for DotS and ran into several issues. One that has been addressed already in this thread was the incorrect formula for recruitment cost (missing brackets iirc). The other was crashes when higher values are used for costs and other parameters even within pre-set limit. The ranges for many parameters are very high yet the common type used to store the output values is oddly set to be the integer type (convert to integer to be precise). Since integer has mere 32 000 limit it is hardly sufficient when you make some units a little more expensive. As I say it crashes well within the define limits of the CoreData parameters so even if it was not expected to be used for high numbers it should not have been allowed in the first place which it was. I was therefore forced to change these to Clng (conver to long) to prevent the crashes and make it work. so that was the second issue. If we run into more issues I will try to fix them as well.

I would like to ask for a permission to release the fixed EDU-matic though for others to use if anyone is still interested though. Thanks again for the great tool!

Mod Leader, Mapper & Bohemian Researcher

Yes, feel free to, and thanks for that. I should have done this a long time ago, along with some other improvements, but time is always an issue...

Can anyone with this file please put up an alternate download link? I've spent the past hour trying to get this thing, but TWC keeps blanking the page, giving me 500 Internal Server errors, and my favorite; saying I need to wait before downloading even when I haven't downloaded anything. I swear, these upgrades are more infuriating than helpful.

A Gamefront mirror has been added to the OP.

Thanks a bunch, Aradan, you really pulled my feet out of the fire; can't balance worth crud.

I am getting an error when clicking the create data button in unit definitions.

Compile Error:

Procedure too large

Any thoughts?
    "To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true" ~ Aristotle

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983044

Which is weird, because EDUmatic was made on a 32-bit version of Excel... I'll take a look as soon as I have some free time, thanks for the error report.

Battlefield's Avatar Civis

Is it possible to use this tool to balance an existing edu? It would be way too much work to copy and paste each unit from the edu into the spreadsheet.
    Rome Total War mods
    INVASIO BARBARORVM | Roma Surrectum | Rome Total Realism
    Medieval 2 Total War mods
    Stainless Steel | Europa Barbarorum II | Broken Crescent

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

I'm afraid not. The tool was built with a different purpose and its functionality reflects that.

I have noticed some errors in the code:

1. In the Select block starting at line 3772, which is where the average values for the model variations are assigned to the variables that store the units armor and shield definition, the reference is made to ModelArmourCostValue. But ModelArmourCostValue is used to store the value of a single model variation and in this case will hold the cost value of the last model variation of the given model set (that's why you limit the lifetime of your variables, kids! ). It should be ArmourCostValue.
    If you are lucky you will never notice this bug, but it can become apparent when you have wildly different levels of armor within the same unit. With the error your unit might cost significantly more or less than it should.

2. At line 3715 the formula for ModelArmourCostValue includes a +1 for no reason. At least I can't think of a reason.
    This is a minor thing since it will affect the costs for all units equally but is still an error. It tripped over it during code diving because the costs calculated by the tool simply didn't match with what I had personally calculated what the costs should be.

3. In the Select case 168 starting at line 5333, where the recruitment costs are calculated, it is checked if you are using MTW2 or Kingdoms as platform for purposes of handling armor upgrades. Unfortunately there is a typo in the boolean expression:

Alright, since the last part of my original message will for some reason blocked by twcenter forum software, here in short:
    ModPlatform is misspelled with a missing "r". This occurs in case 168, 170 and 171. As a result the If block will not be executed if you have selected Kingdoms as your mod platform.
    Last edited by Rabenrecht; September 27, 2016 at 02:59 AM.