Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Multiplayer campaign, but something close and strange...

Default No Multiplayer campaign, but something close and strange...

This was taken from Gamespot:
    While these are all significant upgrades and tweaks, perhaps the most exciting new feature in Napoleon will be the campaign's drop-in multiplayer option, which you can simply check "on" or "off" as you play. If you elect to leave the option "on," this means you'll be able to play out any of the battles you face during your single-player campaign not against the computer-controlled AI as usual, but against an actual human player online through Steam who may offer a much stiffer challenge. Creative is confident that this new feature, and the complete randomness of potentially finding either an easy walkover opponent or a tough veteran adversary will add much to the experience. It's definitely an intriguing option and one the studio hopes will be engaging to the zealous Total War fan community.
    So when we play the single player campaign, we can decide to not verse the AI but a real person via multiplayer. Sounds interesting, there's also heaps of new information from that site! Plus new pics.
    http://au.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/n...reviews&page=1
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Default Re: No Multiplayer campaign, but something close and strange...

It seems to me that they are not able to make the Battle AI any better than Empire's, and therefore have decided to give you the option to play versus a human player so no AI is needed at all!

Well I rater like the idea, anyway, they say it's going to be better then ETW at 1.5, and 1.5 was ok, so the AI must be good in NTW! I just think they are having problems with creating a multiplayer campaign, so this is their solution!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

What's this?... "This is an army of social inadequates, with all the spare time in the world, honing their NTW battle skills and sat in waiting.

Why?.... "So they can vent their anger on society by trashing other peoples campaigns"

Sounds like an option to avoid ?....."If you've got any sense you will".

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Beale View Post
    Well I rater like the idea, anyway, they say it's going to be better then ETW at 1.5, and 1.5 was ok, so the AI must be good in NTW! I just think they are having problems with creating a multiplayer campaign, so this is their solution!

Errr...from the preview

Napoleon's AI opponents will be at least as tough as anything you see in Empire version 1.5
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebusitanus View Post
    Errr...from the preview
    At least, meaning, it can't be any worse then 1.5 was, anyway, i probably will stick mostly to the AI for campaign battles but every now and then through in a multiplayer campaign battle.

And yes, we all know you can't trust a review/preview!

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Beale View Post
    And yes, we all know you can't trust a review/preview!
    Actually, having gone through, and believed, most of the CA propaganda we got before ETW´s launch makes me rather very skeptic about whatever CA promises us now. The only one I trust at this time is Jack Lusted from the whole team.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

sounds awesome...

if you are really scared of another person while you play SP just make sure to pick your fights well... why go into a battle with a few units that you know may OP the AI, cuz now there is a real brain behind an attacker!!! LoL!

I like it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DUFFMAN View Post
    It seems to me that they are not able to make the Battle AI any better than Empire's, and therefore have decided to give you the option to play versus a human player so no AI is needed at all!
    that is exactly what i thought, and it is a good idea. and it solves the problem of every enemy general acting the same way.

but yes i agree, they figured this was easier than making a good BAI. in fact, they can't make a good BAI in an 11 month development cycle given what they had to work with in the ETW BAI, this is an acceptable solution assuming opponents can be found. it would also be nice if there was a more reliable way to rank opponents, so then you might have some idea of the noteriety of the person you are about to face, and can plan accordingly.

the smart thing is that you'll need to actually buy the game to take advantage of this feature. it's about time.

but what does this mean for the original MP campaign? that better be out for empire soon, or there is no chance I'll stop my negative advertisment campaign.
    Last edited by dmcheatw; November 18, 2009 at 11:37 AM.

So if i opted to join one of these battles i'd be stuck with whatever army composition the AI has chosen?! Not sure i like that idea....
    "We'll do this business with the cold iron"
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDave View Post
    To Russian (now Russian Rebels): Hear that? That is the sound of me putting my large army into your tight little Motherland.

Well, I see as it could add depth into the game, so I like it, but I would mostly have it switched off. Because that sends traits out the window when in battle, and skill. But it is a good option for when one is bored and want a challenge after you have been playing it for a while.

Would the challenger even know how important the battle is?

Thats something we're going to have to find out......

Quote Originally Posted by dmcheatw View Post
    that is exactly what i thought, and it is a good idea. and it solves the problem of every enemy general acting the same way.

but yes i agree, they figured this was easier than making a good BAI. in fact, they can't make a good BAI in an 11 month development cycle given what they had to work with in the ETW BAI, this is an acceptable solution assuming opponents can be found. it would also be nice if there was a more reliable way to rank opponents, so then you might have some idea of the noteriety of the person you are about to face, and can plan accordingly.
    THis may shock you but so far in gaming history Human players are generally speaking tougher opponents than AI. They can make whatever good battle AI (which holds battle lines and at least provide a decent challenge) but it will never be on the same level as a veteran human player. Not to mention that the random joe you meet online may end up being a pushover and worse than the AI itself.

This is interesting though if they can pull this off but that means that they'll be guys online just waiting for a fight

Reminds me of that South Park World of Warcraft episode where that one guy who had no life was pwning everyone. If someone like that existed no one would ever want to play MP because they'd never get past the guy

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    THis may shock you but so far in gaming history Human players are generally speaking tougher opponents than AI. They can make whatever good battle AI (which holds battle lines and at least provide a decent challenge) but it will never be on the same level as a veteran human player. Not to mention that the random joe you meet online may end up being a pushover and worse than the AI itself.

This is interesting though if they can pull this off but that means that they'll be guys online just waiting for a fight

Reminds me of that South Park World of Warcraft episode where that one guy who had no life was pwning everyone. If someone like that existed no one would ever want to play MP because they'd never get past the guy
    Haha, I love South Park and that episode! The guy is so funny with his pimples, glasses, and carpul tunnel wrist brace!

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

What a waste, who the hell thought this feature was a good idea? The Dev that came up with with idea seriously needs to leave CA immediately before they tarnish CA's reputation any further.

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post

If they work it properly it sounds like a great idea. Rather than just sitting waiting for a battle you would play your normal campaign, and if you have the player battles ticked you would get a pop-up saying there is a battle ready for you to control, do you accept (random army on another persons campaign - saves and closes your campaign, opens the battle) or vice versa you are attacked / attack an enemy army and the call goes out to those who have the option ticked for them to play the enemy and fight you against your campaign army

As long as it is restricted to fairly even armies so you don't join a battle to find yourself controlling 2 militia units vs a full stack, plus a lot of other regulations regarding battle time limit issues ( eg: player has lost and runs his remaining single cavalry unit around the map for the next 40 minutes), it sounds very exciting - and ground breaking? Haven't heard of another game using this type of technology

Quote Originally Posted by Reiksmarshal View Post
    What a waste, who the hell thought this feature was a good idea? The Dev that came up with with idea seriously needs to leave CA immediately before they tarnish CA's reputation any further.
    Well I like it, I believe that it will add a lot of depth, even though I will probably stick to keeping it single player, when I'm bored i will through it in, anyway, whats so bad about the idea. It adds depth, makes the experience interesting, and you have the choice to use it or not. The only downfall is if you get some guy who is impossible to beat.

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

Human interaction via the internet tends to bring out the worst in people, and online gaming involving strangers has a long and woeful history of cheating, exploits, trainers and sore losers with 'mystery 'disconnects'.

Tis often said that the biggest obstacle in developing online gaming are online gamers.

I see an army of social misfits and loners, with all the spare time in the world, sat there lurking and waiting to trash other peoples campaign progress.

A battle option most definitely to be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Reiksmarshal View Post
    speak for your self... i think it's a pretty innovative and orginal idea!

you get an option to play against INTELLIGENCE rather thatn ARTIFICIAL-INTELLIGENCE... what's better than that. and if you are super scared of INTELLIGENCE... you can switch it off! or you can fight battles that you know you can win... dont go against a foe who has out numbered u, just because you have beatened them with AI on easy!

now you will have to roll the dice and pick and choose when and where to fight. i think this is a great OPTION (defined as you can choose to have it or not) in NTW.

i bet i'll find myself, after a long session on the campaign... going online to just duke it out a few to switch it up a bit. also, when i dont have a ton of time to work in my campaign... i'll just go online for a few and cause havoic on someone's campaign!!!

finally... i do agree that some type of background prior to the fight needs to be cleared up... like seeing it on the big map prior to the battle (this if for those who are online waiting for a fight). it would be nice to know the importance of this battle... also the fact that you dont know the units or the number of units you have is both fun and interesting... you will really begin to learn the game - rather than using your same old... "line infantry... horse flanking and cannons fire'n strategy"!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast