Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gamespot's NTW First Impressions

Default Gamespot's NTW First Impressions

Default Re: Gamespot's NTW First Impressions

Interesting article. The campaign map seems alot more in your face than before. Cheers for the link.

Ebusitanus's Avatar Senator

representatives from the studio were quick to point out that the game will absolutely build on the progress made by Empire to date, up to and including all content in the version 1.5 patch, which includes, among other things, numerous artificial intelligence enhancements that make computer-controlled enemies much more aggressive and realistically challenging.
    Napoleon's AI opponents will be at least as tough as anything you see in Empire version 1.5
    This made me very sad to read.
    Read a napoleonic first hand account of a Hessian serving under the french flag

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Fireright's Avatar Campidoctor

There's that word 'intimate' again! hardly appropriate in the context of a war game.

NOOO, I hope there is some place holding here, look

The year states 1797, but Napoleon is wearing his imperial uniform from after 1804. I hope this is only some place holding from ETW. But otherwise excellent, I like the new campaign map view. Very close up!

And again with the post 1804 clothing worn by Napoleon in the 1798 Egyptian Campaign.

But again with the golden epuillettes for the Old Guard, but these are placeholders because Jack insured us that the Old Guard would have red epuilettes.

Still some work to be done, i hope that some of them are place holders, but otherwise excellent!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

And indeed the bottom two are, looks like there is a mix of screenshots coming out some with the new uniforms others with the old placeholder ones. If you see Old Guard with gold epaulettes, they are the old placeholder ones.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Is this yet again a shot of one of those cool looking towns that later never make it into the game?

Athenians: For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretenses - either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed;.......... since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Part of the Melian Dialogue in The History of the Pelopenessian War by Thucydides.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    And indeed the bottom two are, looks like there is a mix of screenshots coming out some with the new uniforms others with the old placeholder ones. If you see Old Guard with gold epaulettes, they are the old placeholder ones.
    What about what Napoleon is wearing, if is before 1804, shouldn't he be wearing his General of the Italian Army uniform, not his "Imperial" uniform of a grenadier, and shouldn't Bonnies horse be white, (Post-1800)? I would appreciate an answer Jack, Thanks!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

And as I said in response to your question to whether any of the screenshots are placeholder, that yes the bottom two are so that includes the picture of Napoleon in Egypt.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Sorry Jack, I mean't the campaign one, the top one, will Napoleon have a different unit for before he was Emperor and after?

If we go by unit card you will notice that the Italian Campaign SS shows him in his younger years.

Yes, i see, But the Napoleon model doesn't, but it's obvious its a place holder, because look in the back ground, its ETW models, I was just wondering will the campaign have a pre-imperial model and a post-imperial model for Napoleon? if they don't its perfectly fine with me!
    Last edited by Invictus XII; November 18, 2009 at 05:22 AM.

It is certainly interesting to see the Imperial Napoleon with the portrait he has in the same shot!

It is, however, very good to see that bridges seem to have been reworked! In Empire, my men march in convoluted double file on the thickest bridges, so to see a column march effortlessly across as an organised fighting unit is exciting!

Hey Jack... the picture of Napoleon in Egypt and the men marching over the bridge looks as if the sprites are reduced to nothing... did not see one in the distance. is this a new option for those with gaming rigs who can handle it... or was this screen shot cleaned up a bit?

wonderful. i had bad expectations but so far N:TW is coming well nicely. Now all i hope is in battle retreating AI forces when attacked by inferior cavalry stop, take them out and then continue routing. And CA bring back the Kingdoms feature where another fullstack could enter battle controlled by AI
    "we're way way pre-alpha and what that means is there is loads of features not just in terms of the graphics but also in terms of the combat and animations that actually aren't in the game yet.So the final game is actually gonna look way way better than this!” - James Russell, CA
    Just like the elephant animation, this Carthage scenario is actually in the game, it just has a small percantage factor for showing up, that's all...

Beware of scoundrels

This particular tweak is all part of Creative's attempts to build a more-convincing AI--for instance, defending a stronghold in siege combat will be tougher since AI enemies will be more aggressive about sallying forth into siege combat, and will more aggressively seek out and exploit gaps in your walls and other weak points.
    Ummm... isn't that what it does now...? Completely avoid any enemies, move straight for the hole in the wall, and head right for the Fort center square? Nothing new there... seems like the same old broken sieges from ETW.
    QX9650 - 780i SLI - two GTX280 - 8GB 6400C5DHX - X-Fi Platinum - Galaxy 1KW PSU - Antec 900 - APC 1500 BackUPS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Steeltrap's NTW Analogy
    Quote Originally Posted by johncage View Post
    It's all about money.
    This is what the industry has been reduced to. Artistry and pride in one's craft is an afterthought.
    - Bra-F'ing-vo! Great statement.

Magic Man's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Napoleon's AI opponents will be at least as tough as anything you see in Empire version 1.5

That doesn't bode well...

I hope that Venetian army in Piemonte is also a place-holder. Unhistorical to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by chomps View Post
    I hope that Venetian army in Piemonte is also a place-holder. Unhistorical to say the least.
    Did they even have an army to talk off when Napoleon just marched into their lands pursuing the Austrians?

MehemtAli_Pasha's Avatar Campidoctor

WOOWW..those campaign map screens are awesome. i looooooove how detailed they are. i'll have to say, whoever made the campaign map..

there's something i don't understand from the preview though..there are 5 campaigns in the game..

As it happens, the game will have five campaigns in all: a tutorial which chronicles the ambitious French ruler's initial rise through the military ranks from 1778 to 1793; the assault on Northern Italy from 1796 to 1797; his conquest of Egypt and North Africa in 1798; his campaigns in Europe from 1805 to 1812; and finally the Battle of Waterloo on Sunday June 18, 1815.
    which one of all these are the GC? and also, which is of all these is story based and which is not?
    "Egyptians; to the young rebels, and to every one who was killed, bloodied or contributed in the simplest way, what you did has defied any description. you have the world on it's knees gazing at your bravery and determination. you have opened up a new chapter in Egyptian history, one that will be determined by people's love for this country" - an honorable revolutionary,

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast